Author Topic: DLNR PUBLIC MEETING RE: REGULATION OF SUPS IN SURFZONES  (Read 9888 times)

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
DLNR PUBLIC MEETING RE: REGULATION OF SUPS IN SURFZONES
« on: August 20, 2014, 06:52:19 AM »
Here we go . For ALL SUPers who live in Hawaii, please check this out and if you live on oahu show up , and overwhelm these punks !!

Look at the web page , it was so agonizing to read and watch their stupid video on how BAD supers are.

they want to ban ALL sups from Ala moana to Kewalos on Wed , Friday, and Sunday from 3 pm to 9 pm !!  They call it a pilot program !!!  where is next north shore ??  Laniakeas, Chuns , Leftovers ??  FRICKEN CRAZY !!!

I gotta go to work so I don't have time to chime in . But I will later today.

http://www.safesurfhawaii.com/

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: DLNR PUBLIC MEETING RE: REGULATION OF SUPS IN SURFZONES
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 07:32:07 AM »
Good luck SEA and others- i wish the HPWA was in a better position to help.
Groundswell is forming and its not in our favor-ive heard this is happening at Bolsa CHica, Cardiff etc..
I know i may be sounding a bit shrill or some may think me Chicken Little but its time for both the PFD and the sup surf issues to be met head on with all of our support.
HE>I.com
Instagram- @supjuan

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 07:38:01 AM »
Yes, good luck. In reading the manifesto two points come out to me. First, what is being said about SUP can also be said about long-boards. Second, if the problem is that the SUPs are sitting outside the line-up and stealing all the good waves, then just make a rule that a SUP can not be farther out than everyone one else.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »
I think Pointy short boards are the most dangerous.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:35:51 AM »
If you read the page closely, the whole argument makes very little sense. The author clearly states that the problem is "wavehogs" but then goes on to assume that all wavehogs are SUS'ers. There's been a derailment of the logic train.  :o

Due to the generally longer, larger and less maneuverable design and performance characteristics of most SUPs

Paging anyone with 8'6" Allwave…please bring it to the meeting.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 12:29:58 PM »
One more thing. The complaint comes down to two points, the wave hog and the superior wave catching ability of the sup board. They don't mention the paddle, just the fact that the boards dimensions of the board. They are basically saying that big wide boards should be outlawed, not that the use of a paddle is the problem.   

and the inherent design limitations and dangers of SUPs in crowded conditions, that has created the need for some reasonable rules regulating the use of SUPs in surfzones. 

Due to the generally longer, larger and less maneuverable design and performance characteristics of most SUPs, the safety problems presented by SUPs in surfzones are especially troublesome at times when the surf is overhead, the surfzone is crowded and the SUP's have to contend with walls of whitewater. 

OilheadCJ_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »
The arguments lack substance.  Using a phrase like "most SUPs" is utterly meaningless.  The individual sounds like a whining brat who doesn't want to share.

To me, the most frightening thing is to invite the government to regulate at all.

From other activities I am involved with, SUP needs 2 things: the industry MUST engage these issues of access/use head on, or they will quickly have no industry.  and 2, you need a strong association.  Look to IMBA for mountain biking, and American Whitewater for kayak access.  These are models for what has to be done from an advocacy and access standpoint.  What I cannot understand is why Surfrider is not an ally to the SUP community?

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
What I cannot understand is why Surfrider is not an ally to the SUP community?

I doubt Surfrider will get involves. First, there are a lot of 'traditional' surfers that are members and a good number of them are SUP-haters. Surfrider wouldn't want to offend them and lose their donations. Secondly, their charter is mostly involved in either environmental issues or coastal access. Keeping one group of water users out of an area that is accessible to other surfers isn't what they would consider an access issue.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 06:30:38 PM »

Well "funny" thing...this is one guy. I doubt this is a group. It is the same "lawyer" that called DLNR. He is a DUI lawyer...brags about getting the most DUI's off of any lawyer on Oahu. I wonder what is more dangerous..

I bet the proposed days and times for banning is exactly when he goes. This is a douchebag that wants the waves to himself and it pisses me off that we have to come and defend us against anecdotes and old yellers. It is also annoying the DLNR actually spends man hours on this.

I have a 7'2'' SUP and a 7'6'' SUP. My long board is 9'6'' I'm quite sure the volume is the pretty much the same. My SUP weigh less and are much easier to maneuver than my SUP. 

F#%#K!
a.

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »
Please use that link to email DLNR to reject the ban
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 04:34:30 PM »
NY boogie boarders just got the feds to drop the ban-see the story on surfline - take note Sup surfers-organizing-showing up and demanding your God given right to enjoy the issue is the way to get things done!
HE>I.com
Instagram- @supjuan

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 09:29:58 PM »

http://www.kitv.com/news/attorney-wants-to-ban-standup-surfers-from-ala-moana-18-hours-per-week/27654820#!bHUXlM

This is from earlier today, they did an update with some outraged sup bruddahs on the 6 o'clock. Not on KITV.com just yet.

Includes some surf sup footage.  Rising swell, it was quite a bit bigger this evening.

See everyone at Jefferson Elementary next Wednesday at 1730.

eeck62

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 11:56:40 PM »
Me:  6'1" x 180
Board(S): Axis foils: HPS 980, BSC 740, 810, ART 899, 999
Jimmy Lewis Wing Board 4’10” x 23 x 71L
Rawson 7’8” x 26”
Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun 8'2" x 28.3/4 x 99L
Naish Hokua 8'5" x 28 x 115L

SupSurfIsSurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 01:21:23 PM »
Here we go . For ALL SUPers who live in Hawaii, please check this out and if you live on oahu show up , and overwhelm these punks !!

Look at the web page , it was so agonizing to read and watch their stupid video on how BAD supers are.

they want to ban ALL sups from Ala moana to Kewalos on Wed , Friday, and Sunday from 3 pm to 9 pm !!  They call it a pilot program !!!  where is next north shore ??  Laniakeas, Chuns , Leftovers ??  FRICKEN CRAZY !!!

I gotta go to work so I don't have time to chime in . But I will later today.

http://www.safesurfhawaii.com/

Literally replace SUP with longboard and nothing changes.

So lame.

Alot of sups are super short now too so big long board doesnt even make sense especially with overhead waves in hawaii.

Its a good preview and warning of things undoubtably to come.

keep us posted

Mahalo!!
Wavestorm 9'6" (Reitred)
Riviera nugg 9'2" (Retired)
Coreban Vibe 8'0" (Retired)
Infinity Blurr 8'2"
J Sleigh 7'4"
Beater Bord 9'0"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal