Author Topic: Nose shape on an all-around 14' SUP  (Read 4140 times)

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nose shape on an all-around 14' SUP
« on: August 19, 2014, 06:49:45 PM »
Hi everyone, greetings from a SUP wasteland where I rarely see any other boards other than wide slow surf-style boards.  I made my first SUP this spring, built basically for flatwater paddling on the river here where when its flat its flat (14' by 27" carbon).  But, other family members are showing some interest, so its time for board #2.  (just order more carbon today!)  I have been downwinding sometimes too, but not too much.  Typical downwind conditions I might have waves 1 to 2 feet maybe.  Any bigger than that and I'd be out kiting or windsurfing anyway.  On my current board I have to move back a lot to keep the nose out on waves.

I'd like to build something that still works for flatwater, with a long waterline, but which also is a little more biased to some small waves.  I've heard lots of people raving about the Naish Glide, and see that at least the older ones have a piercing nose, as well as a wider rockered nose on the upper half.  It's tough to tell in online pictures though, but I'm not sure if they are still doing that or if others do that too.  Is it a gimmick or is it the ticket to ride?  I have not seen others similar, but its so hard to tell just from pictures.

On the other hand, it seems that when water is streaming over the front of the board the nose is not often more than an inch or 2 under water.  Maybe I'm just as well off to add an inch of rocker, and add maybe an inch of height to the nose.  Now that I think about it, am I better to add the rocker to the nose or to the tail, to achieve this?  And, does anyone have any thoughts about whether adding this rocker should be a gradual thing over the whole board, or more curvature in the mid section as opposed to further out at the ends?

Thanks,
Peter

eeck62

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Nose shape on an all-around 14' SUP
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:31:35 AM »
Peter,
I thought this was a good article. I ran across it the other day when I was looking for info about surf rockers.  It has a good discussion on nose types.
http://zenwaterman.blogspot.com/2009/11/sup-race-board-comparison-planing-vs.html?m=1

Erik
Me:  6'1" x 180
Board(S): Axis foils: HPS 980, BSC 740, 810, ART 899, 999
Jimmy Lewis Wing Board 4’10” x 23 x 71L
Rawson 7’8” x 26”
Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun 8'2" x 28.3/4 x 99L
Naish Hokua 8'5" x 28 x 115L

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 03:57:17 AM »
Thanks, that is a good read.  What they say about a piercing nose being fastest in flats and a surf rocker being fastest in waves makes sense.  It kind of confirms my thinking that for the type of paddling around here that gets done (glass and occasional small downwind runs) a basic flat bottom with a surf style nose rocker would not be the right call. 

I'm still hoping that someone who lives in an area with lots of these boards around can tell me what the state of the art is, and whether there is any type of hybrid nose shape that is getting built by lots of makers now and being proven to work well.

Thx,
Peter

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 12:42:45 AM »
i have been loving my boof nose 12'6 board i built as a all round board. its not what i would chose for the flats but it holds its self with most other things but it is extremely fast on small dw conditions. being narrow it holds it glide and links bumps very well however its not nearly as fun to dw or surf as more of a planing style board with a good amount of rocker (my 14' build). The 12'6 is a board i am happy to keep in the van at all times and do any sort of paddle and know i wont get left behind or struggle at any point on flat or dw. the 14 is great if you know your getting some good dw or waves.

so what i would say is if you want a fun board put some rocker in there and go have a great time if you want to go fast and track your times and speeds on a gps then probably a low profile boof would work well.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 05:32:30 AM »
I would agree with supuk about the boof nose. It's not as fast as a piercing nose in the flats, but it really makes a difference in chop. I have a piercing nose 12'6" right now, but when the Hudson gets choppy I miss having a boof nose.

My dream cruiser would have a boof nose.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 08:39:31 AM »
I'll have to think about that one.  The boof nose was not even on my radar.  Being involved in other wind-sports, I don't do many downwinders  where more nose rocker would help.  (3 so far this year, compared to 40+ days of close to dead flat).  Considering that this will still mostly be used in very flat conditions, I'm still leaning to a piercing nose, but with some more rocker and a bit more overall height, but this is still in the planning stage, so we'll see how this evolves.... 

Thanks,
Peter

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 01:25:20 PM »
You should look at the pictures David posted of the new Naish. 
Don't know what to call it, buts its a new animal.
A combo of wave piercing,  and V flat with hard chine. ( rail).
Name suggestions? 
Piercing Chine? 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 01:35:14 PM »
You should look at the pictures David posted of the new Naish. 
Don't know what to call it, buts its a new animal.
A combo of wave piercing,  and V flat with hard chine. ( rail).
Name suggestions? 
Piercing Chine?
The distinct rail edge really pops out from the rest of rail's smoother surface.

So...Chine Pop-out?

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 02:24:29 PM »
funny how someone came up with the name Boof nose. Came from the noise it made. totally sticks. It took awhile before the name came up-

Guess we will have to wait until DJ comes up with it. From the vids I would call it " the knife"

More ?

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 02:37:12 PM »
I'll have to think about that one.  The boof nose was not even on my radar.  Being involved in other wind-sports, I don't do many downwinders  where more nose rocker would help.  (3 so far this year, compared to 40+ days of close to dead flat).  Considering that this will still mostly be used in very flat conditions, I'm still leaning to a piercing nose, but with some more rocker and a bit more overall height, but this is still in the planning stage, so we'll see how this evolves.... 

Thanks,
Peter

I'm a big fan of the boof nose for an all around shape as well. Paddlers generally regard the boof nose as something for DW boards, but I prefer it for paddling up wind in chop/swell, and it seems this nose design lends itself well for good handling in quartering swell and full on side chop too. Some of the newer designs still have more volume in the nose but aren't as rounded as some older designs, so there is less compromise on the flats than before. The Starboard race and Coast Runner/Open Ocean from a few years ago probably had more people referring to the nose design as the "clog" at first than boof noses.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal