Author Topic: Why are you SUP surfing and not prone surfing?  (Read 12697 times)

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Why are you SUP surfing and not prone surfing?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »
Came from the world of 17' sea kayaks.  In addition to distance paddling, I used to play in the surf with them...then discovered SUP in 2010. That was the last time I paddled a kayak. 

I tried prone surfing this year for the first time. Probably won't do that again anytime soon. 

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 07:48:04 PM »
PonoBill

Your last post is truly a "Classic" for any surfer this side of fifty:)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 08:33:04 PM »
Before getting into SUP, I'd never surfed anything and had only canoed and kayaked in flatwater. After my first attempt at SUPing I was hooked, and since buying my first SUP, I've had little interest in canoing or kayaking.

I bought my first SUP expecting to paddle it mostly on the lakes in NH. Took a SUP surfing lesson that first summer, caught a few waves the first time out, and fell in love with SUP surfing. I took a prone surfing lesson that same summer, never came close to getting up, and haven't had much interest in trying again. I'm sure prone surfing is fun in the right conditions once you get the hang of it, but I've already got a SUP and can surf it, so why spend the money and time to learn prone surfing too? Especially when the prone surfers I see around here spend 90% of their time on a summer day sitting on their board in a full wetsuit, waiting for the "perfect" wave that they can ride crouched down for 5 second of whitewater mush, while I'm paddling around in a t-shirt and board shorts, catching tons of little waves farther out before they break.  ;D

supgobes

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 08:51:09 PM »
One of the biggest reasons is that I stay drier and warmer.

I still surf once in a while but SUS is simply more fun for many of the reasons already stated.  I'll go out and paddle surf for 3 or 4 hours and then prone surf for 45-60 minutes if it's sunny and warm out.

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 08:53:42 PM »
Started to make small days fun and challenging. Too fat to ride a shortboard on less than overhead. Gonna ride a big board anyway, might as well add a paddle.

Stayed because it so easy on the body.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 10:06:49 PM »
Was a huge bodysurfer back in the 1970's and early 1980's culminating with El Nino of 1983 when I bodysurfed
several hours every day.   Then, started working full time, including moving away from the coast.  Finally, got back
to the coast and started longboarding around 2000 and was not very good - I didn't do it often enough, wasn't in good enough shape.  I thought I'm never going to get good if I'm only standing up say 10 minutes in one hour of "surfing" and
waiting for waves most of the rest of the time. Then, ha!!! I saw SUP - I figured it was the perfect answer for me
improving my surfing & it was.  I've improved a huge amount, first my stamina got better, then my balance, then
my surfing technique - it has been very good for me.  LOL - of course, now I put a whole lot more time in too.

My sup is a Pearson Laird Surftech 10'6" - I ride it in from little ripples to double overhead.  One of my successes
from SUPsurfing (over longboarding) was learning to noseride.  I'm pretty proficient but I cannot hang 5 nor 10,
but I can routinely get within about a half foot of the nose. 

Very recently I got a prone 10' CJ Nelson Noserider.  Its volume is 77 liters, my Sup is 154 liters.  So 1/2 the volume.
I will say I do get much more worn out on the prone board - I'm not sure if it is because my prone muscles aren't
as developed as my SUP muscles (they do use different muscles), or the prone board has 1/2 the volume of the SUP,
or I'm just more accomplished on the SUP or a combination.  I got the prone board to hang ten - I'm not there
yet, but I can tell that I will be....& the improvement in my balance is very evident - often after I run out the wave
I remain standing...just like I would on my 30" wide sup but this is on the 24" wide CJ.

I am still trying to hang ten (I mean really perch) on that particular SUP - waiting for a new fin as I write & sooner
or later I'll get a SUP (with soft rails) that I can perch on.  I also got the prone board to surf on crowded Summer weekends.

Right now about 3 SUP days for every prone day.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

komsup

• Waikiki Status
  • >40 - 5'10 - 70kg
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 10:14:34 PM »
it's warmer, and here (CT, SA) we have (relatively) coldwater perfection.
and for some of the rest (other than surfing) that sup is - i'm in the best shape i've been in for the last 15-20 years, i've been blown away by the exploration potential (it's opened my eyes again to the immediate beauty that surounds me) & the dw is just more fun than i was having before...
Starboard Drive 10'5
SIC Bullet 17'4
Coreban Dart pro
Coreban alpha 12'6
previously Naish Mana 10', Fanatic Fly 14, Naish Hokua 9'3, Coreban Dart, Naish Glide 14 v2, Coreban lithium... & i still haven't found what i'm looking for...

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 10:22:37 PM »
Still prone surf, but 95% of my time is SUS'ng....for all the reasons already stated.  "Feet on board" time is several universes better than prone surfing and have ironically become a better prone surfer as a result of SUS.

Not talked about as much:  It's often quite a fun challenge to see if you can paddle out standing while hopping, dodging, and punching through waves.  Kind of like the classic video game Frogger, but in the surf zone instead of a highway.  (I-phone app perhaps?)

It certainly beats the drudgery of taking cold water blasts down the wetsuit while paddling out on a prone board.  Those who like getting ice cube trays slammed into their cajones may disagree on that though....

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:30:47 PM by The Kernel »
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 01:21:59 AM »
No wetsuit for one thing.
As we age our proning skills deteriorate. It just is what it is. It gets frustrating to degress at something that you used to progress at. With SUS I'm progressing at it which rekindles the stoke just like proning used to do. There are just so many more options. As a shaper it's great to have a new frontier to conquer also. It's a lot like when shortboards came in in the late 60's.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 02:31:38 AM »

The ability to paddle on a wave makes it much more dynamic.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 07:42:02 AM »
Definitely rather SUP than prone if it is cold.
 8)
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 09:08:56 AM »
Up here in the PacNW the SUS keeps you out of the water and warmer, which is probably the reason I turned to it at first. During the summer I can wear a 3/2 no problem and be nice and warm. Love being able to see, and I'm not a great surfer so getting radical on the wave isn't happening on either kind of board. I will choose the SUP every time if the conditions allow for it.

The SUP is not always the best tool for short period beach breaks, due to the fact it can be a struggle to get outside if the waves have some pop. In some cases it is much easier to duck or turtle roll (depending on board type). When it is too much effort to get my SUP outside I turn to the prone board. I feel like the prone board takes a lot more athleticism to use, and I enjoy both types of surfing. The last few times out I have used both kinds of boards just for variety and fun.

I look forward to any time in the ocean no matter the watercraft.
Make paddleboarding great again!

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 10:06:58 AM »
I can still prone surf just fine, and do a little on trips, but I'd rather SUP.

Because it's way more fun -- the paddle-out, the visibility, the mobility, the fun of catching a wave while standing, the fun of using your paddle, the challenge in learning something new, the joy in dropping from a 12-1 board to a 7-10. And because the waves around here are usually awful. Mush, slow, small. I had ridden enough of that to last me a lifetime. As I said to the dickish beefy proner (210 lbs bogging down on a 6-2 in 3-foot mush) as he vented at SUPers the other day: "I'm paddling away, but I'll catch five times more waves than you and have 10 times as much fun."

Got into SUP -- "for the small days" -- four, five summers ago. Ended up surfing every morning, a month straight. Hardly saw a proner who found those waves worthwhile, but me, I felt like I'd been on a month-long surf trip. Then came a tropical system and some shoulder-high waves: Hmm, wonder what the SUP would be like on these?

That's all she wrote.

And as the Kernel said, it's fun playing Frogger.

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
Wave count for me.  I like to surf not sit.  I am getting very close to being as good on a standup as I was on my short boards.  The moves are not as quick but they are almost all there.  I really enjoy the challenge of learning something new too.  It's just like when I started to learn how to snowboard in the late 80's.  I went from a double black diamond out of bounds ripper to a newb.  Some people's ego can't handle the learning curve.  I don't take myself so seriously and honestly don't really care what others think.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »
The STOKE!   :-)
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal