Author Topic: Thank god school is starting summers almost over or double teamed by H&W Proners  (Read 5072 times)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Shark's Santa Cruz was good this morning, though still crowded for a Monday, but I could find holes and inside waves.  I need to learn how to turn better, and for that, I need waves that last for some time and have some power, so I guess that is going to take a long time with what comes around in the inside breaks around here.

Another proner without a leash and another riderless board suddenly skimming by me by inches.  He was doing a lot of swimming, and didn't really seem to register but I noticed another proner talking to him about it.

When I first got there, the preener proner outside break had several people dropping in on each other Chinese fire drill like, and there were some loud heated conversations about who owned what, glad I was on the inside break.  I'll be back on Friday with hopefully the last  packed weekend of summer crowds.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
ok wow so its not just me.  I was beginning to think I had an attitude or something   but I last 3 weekends in a row there was some sort of altercation involving me.  from  dead in the water  proners  to a  beginner loosing his  board  and  me getting bonked on the head to the husband and wife double tea.    I got some of you guys.   
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile

Sunday was a Doho zoo too...guys with those 40lb rental Hobie's and no leash who have never been in the water...
[/quote]

Jay:

You're comment about the renters without leashes reminded me to look at that situation more closely, as I had been unsure if renters were being currently being given leashes at the rental place near Doheny.  I thought, no way would someone be renting boards without leashes--given what we know about the safety aspect.

So while doing a quick drive by Doheny this afternoon, at the beach edge, I see the kid from the rental place loading the boards back on his bicycle trailer. 

========================

Me:  "Hey, when you rent those SUP's out, do they come with leashes?"
Rental kid:  "Uh...no."

Me:  "Don't you think that is unsafe?"
Rental kid:  "Uh, well.....you're standing up on them, so these things aren't really gonna get away from you."

Me:  (shaking my head)  "I'm an SUP surfer, and what you guys are doing is insane."

========================

Nevermind that I am going to stop by and talk to the owner of the rental place and ask him to reconsider what he is doing, but it only adds to the memories of less crowded lineups with school back in during colder winter conditions.

Now, I'll be looking forward to slapping on the 4/3 in February and praying for cold cold cold water.

Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

Yes!  The colder the better!  Colder water = less people. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

Sunday was a Doho zoo too...guys with those 40lb rental Hobie's and no leash who have never been in the water...

Jay:

You're comment about the renters without leashes reminded me to look at that situation more closely, as I had been unsure if renters were being currently being given leashes at the rental place near Doheny.  I thought, no way would someone be renting boards without leashes--given what we know about the safety aspect.

So while doing a quick drive by Doheny this afternoon, at the beach edge, I see the kid from the rental place loading the boards back on his bicycle trailer. 

========================

Me:  "Hey, when you rent those SUP's out, do they come with leashes?"
Rental kid:  "Uh...no."

Me:  "Don't you think that is unsafe?"
Rental kid:  "Uh, well.....you're standing up on them, so these things aren't really gonna get away from you."

Me:  (shaking my head)  "I'm an SUP surfer, and what you guys are doing is insane."

========================

Nevermind that I am going to stop by and talk to the owner of the rental place and ask him to reconsider what he is doing, but it only adds to the memories of less crowded lineups with school back in during colder winter conditions.

Now, I'll be looking forward to slapping on the 4/3 in February and praying for cold cold cold water.
[/quote]

They all come from Dana Point Jet Ski.  I have rented from them before, for guests, and not only do they not have leashes, but they give no offer for instructions or safety.  It's just "here ya go, try not to kill anyone." Crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

chicagoflasup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

Actually, surfing with a helmet may cause the crowd to clear; maybe I will consider this more...

that sounds like good idea.
-------WHAT WOULD LAIRD DO?------

excote 8'11'' fish
allwave 9'1''
naish mana 10'
custom biscuit 6' (prone)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Don't start no mess won't be no mess.

I agree with Pono, get better, surf around them and if it's too crowded find clean water, it's all around.

Another Pono note to make more clear, if you're at an easy to access and easy to SUP, then it will be crowded. Don't be surprised and don't be mad that people are doing what you are doing. (How crazy is that thought, right?)

In SoCal, there are enough locals to crowd any accessible break. And guess what? Newport-types have the same right to that wave as you or me, glitter or no.

Earn your privacy and space. Get better and surf more critical breaks or drive/paddle to one they can't reach or are scared of but in the end, it's our choice of where to surf.

I hated this when I was newer. I was stuck at the "easier" breaks with everyone else who was learning. But now, a few years in, I find myself more and more in less crowded water because I can go to less crowded water, and do. When I'm lazy or pressed for time, I accept the traffic as part of the ease of access.

I can't be mad at someone who's doing exactly what I'm doing, at a level that I once was at, at the very spot where I learned.

I'm sorry that you had words with that guy. That never feels good.

But I surfed head high waves at a beautiful point on Sunday with never more than a dozen folks out, in the warm sunshine and water. I will miss Summer and my trunks.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Don't start no mess won't be no mess.

I agree with Pono, get better, surf around them and if it's too crowded find clean water, it's all around.

Another Pono note to make more clear, if you're at an easy to access and easy to SUP, then it will be crowded. Don't be surprised and don't be mad that people are doing what you are doing. (How crazy is that thought, right?)

In SoCal, there are enough locals to crowd any accessible break. And guess what? Newport-types have the same right to that wave as you or me, glitter or no.

Earn your privacy and space. Get better and surf more critical breaks or drive/paddle to one they can't reach or are scared of but in the end, it's our choice of where to surf.

I hated this when I was newer. I was stuck at the "easier" breaks with everyone else who was learning. But now, a few years in, I find myself more and more in less crowded water because I can go to less crowded water, and do. When I'm lazy or pressed for time, I accept the traffic as part of the ease of access.

I can't be mad at someone who's doing exactly what I'm doing, at a level that I once was at, at the very spot where I learned.

But I surfed head high waves at a beautiful point on Sunday with never more than a dozen folks out, in the warm sunshine and water. I will miss Summer and my trunks.

Glitter?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email

Well said cowboy.....the bold seems to have escaped me the last year or two, but you are so very right.

Point taken....attitude changed.

Thanks for turning up the dimmer switch to help me see the light,
SS
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal