Author Topic: Tetanus shot  (Read 19434 times)

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tetanus shot
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
Subber: While I appreciate>>>

>>>Like I said before there is a huge amount of evidence of the medical industry "cooking" studies -
you found the article on the little guys.  The lawsuits and payouts on Vioxx and Celebrex, etc.
etc. etc. finger the big guys - its a fact.  That is being informed, and yes we should be skeptical
especially given the track records, and the conflicts of interest, and huge sums of money at risk
plus their use of government to force the use of certain products.
Once you start looking at these issues, you'll probably notice more and more dirt.

These statements have nothing to do with vaccines.  You don't trust modern medicine or medical science.  Lots of people agree with you. This opinion is common.  What is interesting to me is that most people who hold this opinion believe their physician is the exception to the rule..."medicine is bad but my Doc is good"

Is your point Docs and scientists are human and mistakes are made? That is certainly true. The first day of school our dean got up in front of the class and said "Half of what we teach you is correct and true, the other half is partially or completely false.  And we don't know which half is which"  That is the beauty of the scientific method.  It questions facts, exposes errors, and moves gradually forward to a more perfect understanding of reality.

You want to talk about Vioxx? Merck should have studied the link with cardiovascular death as soon as questions were raised.  They should not have ignored data.  They were overly cozy with the FDA.  Saying these facts are prima facia evidence that all medical science is flawed is 'throwing the baby out with the bath water'

No one said "all medical science is flawed" - how do you jump to that conclusion.
I've said, "buyer beware" - I've said be skeptical - I've said theses guys have a questionable
track record with respect to being truthful, that they have conflicts of interest, etc.

Yes these facts do have to do with the vaccine makers and marketers as they are the same people.
If they lie about one thing, you should be skeptical when they tell you something else.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2014, 01:28:07 PM »
Headmount, I feel like we should apologize for taking this off to never never land when you simply imparting some useful advice  for fellow paddlers! I do hope this debate has been helpful for those who have not thought much about this issue. For those with calcified, conspiratorial viewpoints, there is obviously little point in having this debate.

I just need to address one last point:

"For me, tetanus shot yes, flu shot no. What's baffling is that most of the people at my job get the flu vacc every year and yet they all get some form of flu anyway. And I'm usually the last one to get sick if at all. I know there are different strains etc. Perhaps some of the smart folks here can enlighten us on this topic. Flu season is around the corner. I'd like to miss as little water time as possible."

This is anecdote. Not science.  Science takes an unbiased look at 1000s of people who get the vaccine & don't. The result is clear: much, much less flu infection in those who are vaccinated, and a very manageable side effect profile overall from the vaccine. Do people sometimes get sick after the shot? Yes. Flu vaccine is given during respiratory virus season when dozens of totally different viruses are also circulating in the population. The vaccine does not protect against these other viruses. What your co-workers call flu is probably another virus.   The vaccine is not completely protective against flu either, particularly during the week after the shot but those who develop flu typically have less  prolonged symptoms. On the whole, however, it dramatically reduces risk of both mild and severe forms of influenza.

Are there individual exceptions to all of this? Of course. This is why you need 1000s of people to do this sort of study, not an informal poll of your office mates. At risk of offending, this should be obvious, even to those with no background in the field.  As juandoe stated so eloquently, it all comes down to understanding & embracing the most concepts of risk / benefit.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2014, 02:07:55 PM »
BC thanks for the thoughtful response. I do realize that the office anecdote is a small example and that there are exponential external variables to consider. I'm somewhere in the middle on this debate but I don't doubt the overall benefits of vaccination. I took allergy shots on both arms weekly for about 3 years. I suppose that's a form of vaccination.

My real issue here is the marketing or when uninformed people get preachy about getting the flu shot thinking it's a cure. When in fact, what you stated is likely closer to the truth. You bring up a good point quoted below. It begs the question, why not?

"Flu vaccine is given during respiratory virus season when dozens of totally different viruses are also circulating in the population. The vaccine does not protect against these other viruses."
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:13:13 PM by SaMoSUP »

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2014, 03:14:50 PM »
The traditional flu vaccine protects against 3 strains and these are selected based on worldwide epidemiology data.  It is an educated guess.  There is inherent lead time so that they can be produced for administration prior to flu season.

According to the CDC website, they have a quadrivalent vaccine as well. 

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2014, 12:27:53 AM »
Well it's amazing how my original post galvanized such strong opinions on this subject.  Wasn't totally oblivious the the controversies surrounding the issue but was surprised what a 'gun control' type subject this is.
The good thing about opinions becoming galvanized is that it makes them less likely to cause tetanus.

The other thing I was thinking is how one of the worst things a guy could hear from a woman would be, "I've been vaccinated slower than that".

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2014, 08:51:38 AM »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2014, 09:40:32 AM »
I work with a lot of equipment and ding myself all the time (if there's no blood on it - I wasn't there!).  ...this Tetanus thread had me call my local Rite Aid pharmacy; they give them just like flu shots - no RX required.  I did get the Shingles shot (I don't want that Chit) but have not had a flu shot in a decade or more.  Thanks all for the slap up the head. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal