Author Topic: Tetanus shot  (Read 19436 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tetanus shot
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 09:40:14 AM »
Like most suddenly sprung debates on the web, (see what you started here Bill)

My fault for not clarifying "this".  What I should have wrote was I don't recommend getting a shot and then paddling.  Paddling being the operative word here.  I wasn't expressing any opinion about vaccines.  I got a shot and that says how I feel about vaccines. 

It, the shot,  did leave a good knot in my arm but yesterday, paddling,  was just fine.

I pretty much understood that, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to give you some shit.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 11:29:49 AM »
I usually get a tetanus shot before I go paddling after any long break, because I don't want to get hurt falling when I'm rusty.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »
Even the Vioxx controversy isn't as clear cut as it seems on the surface. It is true that Merck was caught with some questionable decisions regarding disclosure of trial evidence of cardiac events in long term users of the drug. They deserved censure for that. But it was never clear that there was an obvious cause and effect based on taking Vioxx.

In any case, the overriding benefit provided by the drug to millions of occasional users was in no way balanced by the statistically low chance that daily use of Vioxx could cause a cardiac event in a small percentage of chronic users. Vioxx was an NSAID, and all NSAIDs now carry "black box" warnings regarding use by people with known cardiac issues, even over the counter NSAIDs such as Advil or Aleve.

How would those of us who are older, and have had years of wear and tear on our bodies, feel if there were no medications available to us after a SUP session that leaves us with aches and pains in our creaky old bones? I for one rarely take painkilling drugs, but when I need them, I really need them. I currently keep a stash of Arcoxia, Merck's replacement for Vioxx, which is available all over the world, except in the USA.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 03:48:03 PM »
I really wouldn't want to be in Pharma, and this from a guy who was in nuclear power.

On the one hand you have people screaming at you to get products to market faster--no, not just stockholders--the people with diseases that could be helped by faster release of your products. On the other hand you have people and herds of lawyers, screaming about the depth and breadth of your trials and scraping up class action lawsuits as fast as you release products, and then you have quacks and conspiracy theorists claiming your doing everything from intentionally poisoning babies to spraying chem-trails to weaken immune systems.

Anyone trying to understand why drugs are released so slowly and cost so much need look no further then their own bellybutton--the process is insane. The market is insane.

I'm reasonably certain I could cobble up a subcutaneous artificial pancreas with glucose monitoring and fully automated insulin/glucagon management of blood sugar. Any competent tech could. Instead we have kludgy insulin pumps with manual finger prick testing and manual guesswork adjustment. Probably twenty years and twenty billion before something useful gets released, and in the meantime any geek could build the future with parts from Sparkfun. Millions of people will suffer shortened lives because a vast number of people stand ready to toss wrenches into the works. And it's all based on opinion. Because the reality is that once someone starts to form an opinion they pretend expertise they don't have. And as their opinion ossifies their arguments intensify. They defend and defend, and never question. Never say "what if I am completely, totally talking out my ass". Am I hurting people, am I doing damage. It's a worthwhile exercise.

I always assume I'm wrong, always assume I'm full of shit and don't know what I'm talking about. I hope everyone else does too.

We has met the enemy, and they is us. --Pogo
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 05:33:21 PM »
One thing to keep in mind about tetanus is that if your wound is at high-risk of contracting tetanus, you should get a tetanus immunoglobulin injection to increase your protection against the disease. This is especially true if you are not already immunized or if your immunization is out of date, because even if you get a tetanus shot right after the injury, you can develop tetanus from the bacteria in your wound faster than your body can develop immunity from the vaccine.

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »
Like most suddenly sprung debates on the web, (see what you started here Bill) people with opinions won't change theirs, so this is predominantly empty bytes.  For what it's worth, I went to the links provided. So really, goodfornothing. Your "fantastic article" is on Mercola, a guy shilling Miracle Whey for $144.97 and Krill Oil for 62.97. It's a real drumbeater, and my bullshit detector has rarely been spun so high. The author quotes low current infection rates for measles, mumps and rubella to support an inference that the vaccines are unnecessary. I'm old enough to remember when nearly every kid suffered those diseases. He posits obvious questions his proof arises (proof later) and then never answers the question.

I"m not a doctor, I'm a marketer. I used to bullshit for a living, and that's bullshit, top to bottom. The classic "tell everyone you know, share this everywhere" web meme of the traffic spammer.

Really?  Bullshit?  You need to double check your facts on the mortality rates.  10-20 per cent is more accurate. 
Good discussion though, its always fun when the black helicopter people come out. 
One question for the op, your arm started hurting after one mile but you paddled 9 more?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 08:38:42 PM »
Like most suddenly sprung debates on the web, (see what you started here Bill) people with opinions won't change theirs, so this is predominantly empty bytes.  For what it's worth, I went to the links provided. So really, goodfornothing. Your "fantastic article" is on Mercola, a guy shilling Miracle Whey for $144.97 and Krill Oil for 62.97. It's a real drumbeater, and my bullshit detector has rarely been spun so high. The author quotes low current infection rates for measles, mumps and rubella to support an inference that the vaccines are unnecessary. I'm old enough to remember when nearly every kid suffered those diseases. He posits obvious questions his proof arises (proof later) and then never answers the question.

I"m not a doctor, I'm a marketer. I used to bullshit for a living, and that's bullshit, top to bottom. The classic "tell everyone you know, share this everywhere" web meme of the traffic spammer.

Really?  Bullshit?  You need to double check your facts on the mortality rates.  10-20 per cent is more accurate. 
Good discussion though, its always fun when the black helicopter people come out. 
One question for the op, your arm started hurting after one mile but you paddled 9 more?

I wake up with pain and have had a few severe incidents where I've had to, for the sake of survival, just get there.  Most guys my age get this way.  This wasn't even in that category but it was uncomfortable.  Point was, don't be a knucklehead like me and paddle after a shot.  I'd forgotten how much impact they had.  The last 9 miles were pretty slow for me and it was downwind, so not paddling at all was always an option... and a huge psychological boost.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 08:43:06 PM »
I usually get a tetanus shot before I go paddling after any long break, because I don't want to get hurt falling when I'm rusty.

Do you have a license for that pun?
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 08:48:33 PM »

Moving target, and the fatality rate for over 60 is much higher. Yes it's becoming a lot more rare. 65% of people surveyed report a tetanus shot withing ten years. So there's that.

Wikipedia supplied the numbers I used. It's on the web so it has to be right.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 08:50:44 PM »

Do you have a license for that pun?
At least he gave it a shot.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 12:04:54 PM »
The last time I got a tetanus shot was around the moon landing so when I went in for a full on poking and prodding physical, I answered, don't recall, when they asked when. 

I haven't had a Tetanus shot in 20 years or so. Did your doctor push you into doing it or did you do it proactively? I'm thinking of getting the shot since I often get cuts and scrapes SUSing.

What other vaccines are recommended for ocean going folks?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 11:58:51 AM »
The last time I got a tetanus shot was around the moon landing so when I went in for a full on poking and prodding physical, I answered, don't recall, when they asked when. 

I haven't had a Tetanus shot in 20 years or so. Did your doctor push you into doing it or did you do it proactively? I'm thinking of getting the shot since I often get cuts and scrapes SUSing.

What other vaccines are recommended for ocean going folks?

Don't know about any other vaccines for ocean activities.  There is occasional outbreaks of MERSA (flesh eating staph) here and even in the PAC NW.  If I get a cut on the ocean or sand, I soak with a solution of one teaspoon of clorox pre gallon of water... just a tad stronger than swimming pool strength. 

I got the shot because I did a full physical check up, blood tests, the works and that was part of it.  Lucky I did too, because the night before last I got bite by a centipede  which can cary tetanus.  It was right under my pillow and when I stuck my hand underneath it, the thing scampered up my arm.  Woke as it did and my reactive flick resulted in a tag on the elbow.  Benadryl  ice and ride out a real intense pain.  So if you have centipedes where you live, get the shot.  We have large ones.  My son calls Hawaii the Serengeti.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 05:56:31 PM »
I got the shot because I did a full physical check up, blood tests, the works and that was part of it.  Lucky I did too, because the night before last I got bite by a centipede  which can cary tetanus.  It was right under my pillow and when I stuck my hand underneath it, the thing scampered up my arm.  Woke as it did and my reactive flick resulted in a tag on the elbow.  Benadryl  ice and ride out a real intense pain.  So if you have centipedes where you live, get the shot.  We have large ones.  My son calls Hawaii the Serengeti.

It's stories like this that help me endure the cold New Hampshire winters, content that at least I don't have to deal with all the nasty critters endemic to more enjoyable climates. For anyone living around here that has similar stories, please, DON'T TELL ME! Ignorance is bliss.  ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 09:28:12 PM »
If you get a cut or puncture wound with a likelihood of tetanus then it's really too late for the vaccine. there are Tetanus Immunogloben shots that provide some protection from a possible infection. The toxin that the tetanus bacteria makes is so potent and fast-acting that you need the immune factors, not just a vaccine that gets your body to make them. And THEN you'll need to get a tetanus shot since the Immunogloben shot is only effective for a pretty short time.

Really the best approach if you haven't had a tetanus shot in ten years is to just get one and have one less thing to worry about.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 08:39:05 AM »
In terms of the vaccine nonsense, we had an outbreak of pertussis (whooping cough) at the school I work at. One of the kids had been vaccinated, but the other four did not. Pertussis is a serious disease that can be fatal in some cases. The vaccine is only about 75-80% effective too, so kids need to be immunized.

This would not have happened if those kids had received their shots. Please do so.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal