Author Topic: We've Changed Vibe at Dogpatch.  (Read 13815 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: We've Changed Vibe at Dogpatch.
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 02:56:06 PM »
Sorry, didn't mean to rag on what is likely your favorite spot.  Judging from your username.  I've seen a few guys ripping pretty well out there.  Probably one of them was you.
It's all good Zoo, was just playing along and having some fun with y'all....that was the reason for the ";) ;D".

Yeah, I am there quite a bit, as it's about 10-12 minutes from my house, and there's a lot to be said about....pulling up, walking 50', surfing, walking 50' back to my van, and then drinking coffee from the back of it as I watch my other buds out there having fun.

But that also means that I'm probably pissed off at the poor conditions out there more times than many (like today, spending only 20 minutes out my 1st sesh it was so bad, not to mention crowded), but I figure that just comes with the territory.

So tomorrow (and like all summer weekends), I'll be headed to parts south, and let all of the "inland invaders" have their fun there, while remembering the words of a wise man I was SUSing with the other day...."Hurry up September!!"   8) :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 03:08:28 PM »
Yeah, if it weren't so freaking crowded it would be a lot more fun.  Hurry up September!!  Wait a minute, I'm a teacher...uh, never mind.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »
Crowded at DP! I took the long board out today and looked south toward DP from Old Man's.  At 6:30 AM there were at least 40 SUS'ers out enjoying the waves.  The line at 5:45 to get in was out to the feeder road and south toward the camp ground.

BTW, I spoke to the head LG and he told me that SUS is allowed from DP south to all the trails.

SUP surf chick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 07:47:41 AM »
Yup, yesterday morning was kind of a nightmare out there. Biggest crowd I think I've ever seen yet, and really agro! And the surf wasn't even that good.
Dina Whitaker
Living the dream in San Clemente!
Dogpatch (Sano) local
7'4" Simm style by Tom Whitaker

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 09:19:52 AM »
Yup, yesterday morning was kind of a nightmare out there. Biggest crowd I think I've ever seen yet, and really agro! And the surf wasn't even that good.

It does seem like Fridays are the most crowded and aggressive.  On Sat and Sun you have a lot of people, probably more than Fridays, but somehow it doesn't seem as agro.  Am I wrong?  Does Friday seem like it is often the most intense day?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 09:38:12 AM »

It does seem like Fridays are the most crowded and aggressive.  On Sat and Sun you have a lot of people, probably more than Fridays, but somehow it doesn't seem as agro.  Am I wrong?  Does Friday seem like it is often the most intense day?
I don't know, during the summer months, Fridays are just part of the "weekend" now, and I don't bother driving down there on those days anymore.

StandinDan was reporting 250 cars in line at 0545 this am....he's far more focused and courageous than I.  That many people in line, and I'm either going somewhere else....or back to bed.

"Hurry up September!!" ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2014, 10:06:02 AM »
Don't they let in only 300 people?  That would mean they were at almost full capacity before they even opened. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2014, 10:24:02 AM »
I don't know the actual count, but just guessing, I'd say that that's gotta be a full pants load, full lot load of people before the gate even opened. 

Be interesting to see the cluster f*rk they must have had at Doho with people lining up from the top and bottom of the light there to make the turn into the lot. 

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2014, 11:39:28 AM »
Yeah, I'd rather do dawn patrol sessions before work and have limited time, rather than deal with the insane crowds.  I may be a teacher and have to go back to work next, but I would rather do that than deal with the summer mobs. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

StandinDan

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2014, 11:58:17 AM »
Yeah, broke my cardinal rule of not surfing on the weekend, big mistake.
There actually were literally, crapping you negative, 250 cars at 5045 when I showed up. I was lined up next to the nuke reactors on Basilone. Cars were double parked right off the bat. Made it in the water at 0700 and stayed out a mere 45 minutes.  Overhead on the sets but blowing so hard off shore it was extremely difficult to make the drop.  And when you did drop you didn't have enough speed to do anything in the face of all that wind. Add to that the mob scene, combo demolition derby/rodeo atmosphere - I caught two and called it.
1. Don't cross the streams
2. Don't surf on a summer weekend.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2014, 02:00:01 PM »
That's just no fun at all, IMO.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUP surf chick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2014, 02:41:35 PM »
Yeah, broke my cardinal rule of not surfing on the weekend, big mistake.
There actually were literally, crapping you negative, 250 cars at 5045 when I showed up. I was lined up next to the nuke reactors on Basilone. Cars were double parked right off the bat. Made it in the water at 0700 and stayed out a mere 45 minutes.  Overhead on the sets but blowing so hard off shore it was extremely difficult to make the drop.  And when you did drop you didn't have enough speed to do anything in the face of all that wind. Add to that the mob scene, combo demolition derby/rodeo atmosphere - I caught two and called it.
1. Don't cross the streams
2. Don't surf on a summer weekend.

If we go down to Sano on the weekends at all, we go at the end of the day and hope for an evening glass-off. Of course, it's been so freakin' windy all summer that even when it glasses off it's still choppier than sh*t. We bring food and the appropriate beverages to make it more bearable. ;D
Dina Whitaker
Living the dream in San Clemente!
Dogpatch (Sano) local
7'4" Simm style by Tom Whitaker

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 06:06:18 PM »
San O is horrible for access from Memorial day to well into Fall.  Take a note from a aggro avoider, just go (weekends) from christmas to may.  You'll be fine.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »
San O is horrible for access from Memorial day to well into Fall.  Take a note from a aggro avoider, just go (weekends) from christmas to may.  You'll be fine.

Yeah, I made the mistake of trying to get back into the place mid summer.  Gotta give it another chance after the summer crowds thin out. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2014, 06:09:14 PM »
i go for it-if i have to bob and weave and play whack a mole i do it-i have one of the shorter boards out there so i have to sit inside a little and take the leftovers.
its all good though i love to surf so much im willing to put with the insanity most of the time.
to me its really the lack of etiquette from newbs or super aggro ex surfers who know lineup etiquette but throw it out the window when sup surfing! >:(
Oh well-come on cold water and big winter swells!
HE>I.com
Instagram- @supjuan

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal