Author Topic: We've Changed Vibe at Dogpatch.  (Read 13814 times)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: We've Changed Vibe at Dogpatch.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 01:45:31 PM »
So the proners can surf the SUP break but not the other way around?  I had planned to try SUS at DP on my next visit to the area, in the fall, but you guys are giving me second thoughts. I'm up on surf etiquette but I'll be a total beginner at SUS and don't really want to deal with a negative vibe.  Is there a better place to go?

Seriously   the proners can surf anywhere we are stuck in dog patch,  OC sucks  big time.  I was thinking about going up there sometime but  why?  I can surf with proners here .  I thought that they made it one area for  sup one area for  prone which makes more sense.  maybe after the zoo is gone.   

look for me on a c-4  outside maybe say  hi!
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »
On an average day, Doho and DP are notoriously beginner breaks. If you are past that level, there are a ton of uncrowded breaks and times of day to SUS. Early mornings and late evenings are usually best. Between Trail 1 & 2, Trail 6, 204, Mariposa, and DoHo (when there is a swell). If you're comfortable with a shore break, even more spots. I'm sure during a winter at DP you'll have as many waves as your legs can handle.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »
So the proners can surf the SUP break but not the other way around?  I had planned to try SUS at DP on my next visit to the area, in the fall, but you guys are giving me second thoughts. I'm up on surf etiquette but I'll be a total beginner at SUS and don't really want to deal with a negative vibe.  Is there a better place to go?

Seriously   the proners can surf anywhere we are stuck in dog patch,  OC sucks  big time.  I was thinking about going up there sometime but  why?  I can surf with proners here .  I thought that they made it one area for  sup one area for  prone which makes more sense.  maybe after the zoo is gone.   

The proners aren't an issue as there are few. Dogpatch is such a crummy wave that it's not a prime place to surf for a proner with even intermediate abilities. I was out Thurs in mediocre waves and watching the Dogpatch prone area firing. Very frustrating. If you're learning DP is still the best place to feel things out. It's more about when you get better and you're restricted to a beginner spot.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 03:35:55 PM »

The proners aren't an issue as there are few. Dogpatch is such a crummy wave that it's not a prime place to surf for a proner with even intermediate abilities. I was out Thurs in mediocre waves and watching the Dogpatch prone area firing. Very frustrating. If you're learning DP is still the best place to feel things out. It's more about when you get better and you're restricted to a beginner spot.
Good, I'm glad you said that, I was afraid to.  I've gone down there a few times in the past several weeks trying to get back into the spot, and had very little fun.  The waves just don't break very much, just mush out.  Used to love DP in years past when I butt boarded there, it's a fine wave for those. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 04:15:47 PM »
Based on observations, from the swells this summer, the butt-guys don't paddle out if waves are shoulder and higher with a bit of juice behind it.  If they do paddled out, they paddled south and surfed Horseshoes.

I like SUS'ing DP and thus about to order a nose rider, may be in the 9'0x28x3.5 range just for DP when the waves are knee to shoulder and mushy.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 07:45:10 PM »
Based on observations, from the swells this summer, the butt-guys don't paddle out if waves are shoulder and higher with a bit of juice behind it.  If they do paddled out, they paddled south and surfed Horseshoes.

I like SUS'ing DP and thus about to order a nose rider, may be in the 9'0x28x3.5 range just for DP when the waves are knee to shoulder and mushy.
Yeah, I think I would enjoy DP more if I had a big cruiser that still turned well enough.  I ride my 8'10" and it's fine there, but just not very exciting when you are used to more punchy waves.  Probably if I had more skill I could make it work there.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 07:47:44 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »
Pono is right. Crowded is crowded. For good or bad, many of us live in Orange County. These spots are home cooking for most of us.

Talldude is right as well. There are MANY beach break spots available...but where else can you back the car up and have a leisurely paddle out for terrible waves? haha

DP is fantastic about 3 sessions a year. I can remember almost all of them from my last 3 years of SUP.

Taller than most, shorter than others.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 07:15:39 AM »
Pono is right. Crowded is crowded. For good or bad, many of us live in Orange County. These spots are home cooking for most of us.

Talldude is right as well. There are MANY beach break spots available...but where else can you back the car up and have a leisurely paddle out for terrible waves? haha

DP is fantastic about 3 sessions a year. I can remember almost all of them from my last 3 years of SUP.
Yep. Last night SUP Chick and myself surfed for an hour and came in to have a couple of ice cold Coronas and watched the sunset from the tailgate of my truck. That alone puts DP up a couple of notches on the wave quality index alone. I've come to the conclusion over the years that surfing is a total experience from when you leave the house until you return. All the details of the "surf trip" add up to how the session was for you
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 07:23:08 AM »

Yep. Last night SUP Chick and myself surfed for an hour and came in to have a couple of ice cold Coronas and watched the sunset from the tailgate of my truck. That alone puts DP up a couple of notches on the wave quality index alone. I've come to the conclusion over the years that surfing is a total experience from when you leave the house until you return. All the details of the "surf trip" add up to how the session was for you

Well said. I totally agree Mr. supsurf-tw.

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 08:03:31 AM »
Yep-Dpatch sucks-one of the reasons the sup ban just chafes my hide-it may be clogged with angry longboarders but the waves are just better at OM's and 4 doors and Point.
Sunday at patch was crappy but the plus was for some reason minimal kooks were out.
Got a few waves with Kayadogg and the other locals.
I love me some beach break but ever since pile driving my beloved Nectar into the sand and snapping it into ive been gun shy.
Dpatch...its perfectly awful...
HE>I.com
Instagram- @supjuan

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 08:10:33 AM »
Good, I'm glad you said that, I was afraid to.  I've gone down there a few times in the past several weeks trying to get back into the spot, and had very little fun.  The waves just don't break very much, just mush out.  Used to love DP in years past when I butt boarded there, it's a fine wave for those.
This is so very true.

DP is definitely not worth the waste of gas getting there.

Please, those who might even consider paddling out there, there are MUCH better waves everywhere else, so do yourself (and all others that you know) and find some other place to SUS.

Also make sure to get out the word that the wave is so cr@ppy that it's horrible for those trying to learn, in that it's so mushy, that it barely gets the board moving....so learning there is almost impossible.

To borrow and expand in a bumper sticker phrase:
"Dog Patch sucks....don't try it;) ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:13:16 AM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 06:04:37 AM »
This is so very true.

DP is definitely not worth the waste of gas getting there.

Please, those who might even consider paddling out there, there are MUCH better waves everywhere else, so do yourself (and all others that you know) and find some other place to SUS.

Also make sure to get out the word that the wave is so cr@ppy that it's horrible for those trying to learn, in that it's so mushy, that it barely gets the board moving....so learning there is almost impossible.

To borrow and expand in a bumper sticker phrase:
"Dog Patch sucks....don't try it;) ;D

Sorry, didn't mean to rag on what is likely your favorite spot.  Judging from your username.  I've seen a few guys ripping pretty well out there.  Probably one of them was you. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 06:07:22 AM »
Yep-Dpatch sucks-one of the reasons the sup ban just chafes my hide-it may be clogged with angry longboarders but the waves are just better at OM's and 4 doors and Point.
Sunday at patch was crappy but the plus was for some reason minimal kooks were out.
I love me some beach break but ever since pile driving my beloved Nectar into the sand and snapping it into ive been gun shy.

Yes, much better only 50-100 yards away.  That's one of the things that chafes about surfing there. 

I talked to one of the park rangers last time I was there and he said there are getting to be so many SUPs that they need to think about changing the rules a bit.  Opening up more area for SUP or lifting the ban altogether.  Just his opinion, nothing in the works, but it has to start somewhere.   
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:10:36 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 10:53:56 AM »

Yes, much better only 50-100 yards away.  That's one of the things that chafes about surfing there. 

I talked to one of the park rangers last time I was there and he said there are getting to be so many SUPs that they need to think about changing the rules a bit.  Opening up more area for SUP or lifting the ban altogether.  Just his opinion, nothing in the works, but it has to start somewhere.

Lifting the ban.  Oh lord! I'd need to get back on the mats and practice MMA just in case! LOL!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »

Lifting the ban.  Oh lord! I'd need to get back on the mats and practice MMA just in case! LOL!

Could we attach nunchucks to our paddles?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal