Author Topic: New to SUP in south central PA  (Read 4729 times)

tkdshine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New to SUP in south central PA
« on: August 04, 2014, 12:50:17 PM »
Hi, everyone! I took a lesson with the LL Bean discovery schools last month, and loved stand up paddleboarding! I love it so much, I want to continue, of course.

However, I have a few obstacles to overcome.

1.) I *just* bought a new car, that will not allow for a hitch and I do not want to attach a roof rack or mess up the paint with a removable one. While I would love to have a solid board, it requires extra equipment for hauling. So I suppose I'll have to go the inflatable route. However...

2.) I live in south central PA, where the closest launch I'm familiar with is a state park. From what I've read, state parks won't allow iSUPs unless they have more than one air chamber. Most models I know of only have one air chamber... Except for a Badfish model I came across (I think).

3.) I'm still a beginner, so calmer waters are preferred. Where are some good SUPing spots for a beginner? (I'm taking my second class with LL Bean @ Nockamixon State park at the end of this month, but it's not even close to where I live.) I've also been wanting to go up to The Crank before the school year gets underway and try a Tahoe Bliss (my dream board). I'm not sure if I'll do any yoga or not, but at this point, I do love just being on the water, laying down on the board, relaxing, and maybe taking a quick dunk or two when it gets too hot.  ;D

What's a gal to do? I love SUPing because it's so relaxing, and a heck of a good work out. Reminds me of days spent when I was a kid in a canoe, but better. Any help or advice anyone could provide would be appreciated. (:

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: New to SUP in south central PA
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 02:55:03 PM »
Get a roof rack without it your limited.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 07:06:44 PM »
I would go with the inflatable.  I have a real hard time believing anyone would enforce the air chamber thing.  I don't know PA at all but I would think wherever one can launch a kayak or canoe one can launch a SUP.  A Google seach will probably answere all your questions.  SUP has really grown in Pittsburgh (according to some friends of my wife) but not sure about proximity to you.  Hope this helps.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »
I use Fanatic Inflatable SUP all over PA and have no problems Just don't forget your PFD That will be a problem

PM me if you want more details
Jim@extremewindsurfing.com

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 04:48:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum tdkshine.  :)

I would think wherever one can launch a kayak or canoe one can launch a SUP.

I would hope that's the case in PA. It is absolutely NOT the case in NJ.  :'(

Ditto to what Weed said, unless one goes the inflatable route.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:15:25 PM »
From what I've read, state parks won't allow iSUPs unless they have more than one air chamber...

Whaaaaaaaaaa-??  You read too much.  Stop reading and just go paddle :D

This is not some thin-skinned $40 rubber raft you'll be paddling.  Modern iSUPs are highly-durable thick-skinned beasts.  Besides you should be wearing a PFD or have one strapped to the board anyways, not to mention wearing a leash.

Just feign ignorance (in my case: I don't have to feign :o).  Tell anyone who asks that yours is a microchamber iSUP w/ interior cross-stitch kevlar technology and carbon stringers.  Sounds good to me  ;)

(FYI: constantly deflating your iSUP is a pain.  My prediction:  you'll make a temporary roof rack using pool noodles and cinch straps run through the windows.)

Welcome to the ZONE!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:19:54 PM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

EasternShorePaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 05:51:24 AM »
I love my ULI inflatable. It is a tank and fun to ride and surprisingly fast. 12' 6" touring model. I highly recommend.

Stand Up Pittsburgh

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 08:20:19 AM »
The PA state parks do not require multi-chamber ISUP on lakes. They do require it on white water. For state parks and fish and game commission boat launches you are required to have a launch permit. I will not stick to you board so just by a fish licence holder and pin it to your life jacket. We have many customers that do that. They will stop you to check that you have one. It's $18 and good for 2 years. Make sure you have a life jacket. I would get a rack so you are not limited in board choices. We have sold a bunch of ISUP's so feel free to drop a line if you have questions. We also deal with the state parks.

tkdshine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 03:39:03 PM »
Thanks to everybody for your input.

Unfortunately, as I've been looking into Thule and other end of the season sales I found that the rack required for my car has been discontinued!  >:(  So, I'm going to have to go for an iSUP if I want to keep SUPing.

That said, I've been doing my research, and the biggest dilemma is which board to choose.  ???  Here are the contenders on my list in no particular order:

• Naish's Alanna Air 10"
  • Red Paddle Co's Venus or AllWater model
  • Uli's Steamroller
  • SeaEagle's 11'6 Needle Nose
  • Isle Surf Co's 10'r women's iSUP

I'm just a small thing- 5'2 and under 130 pounds, so I don't need anything huge. However, I would like a board that can handle flat water and rivers, as that's primarily where I'll be taking it. That's not to say it might get the rare ocean day, though! I would definitely say that I'm a recreational paddler, paddling 90% of the time with a bit of yoga thrown in the other 10%.

What are your thoughts on any of the above iSUPs? Thanks in advance.  8)

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 05:54:46 PM »
Did you learn on an inflatable? Can you demo one before purchase? I ask because I tried an inflatable for the first time a few weeks ago and what a difference—after that experience,only epoxy, resin and fiberglass for me please. I can't say there was anything wrong with the iSUP, I just didn't like the feel of it on the water. Of course, it's personal; some paddlers love their inflatables (see posts above :) ). I only suggest you demo one before purchasing if your experience up until now has been on hard boards (fiberglass, plastic or whatever).

The PA state parks do not require multi-chamber ISUP on lakes. They do require it on white water. For state parks and fish and game commission boat launches you are required to have a launch permit. I will not stick to you board so just by a fish licence holder and pin it to your life jacket. We have many customers that do that. They will stop you to check that you have one. It's $18 and good for 2 years. Make sure you have a life jacket. I would get a rack so you are not limited in board choices. We have sold a bunch of ISUP's so feel free to drop a line if you have questions. We also deal with the state parks.

A launch permit for a SUP!? Or a launch permit for the boat launch? The latter I can understand, but not the former.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 06:46:34 PM »
At your height and weight, a RedPaddle at 22-25psi will feel like a rock.  A nice spongy rock :)

Personally, I would whittle your choices down to the first 3 brands on the list.  Ix-nay to the last two.
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

tkdshine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 07:51:05 PM »
SeaMe, I'm trying to find a place that carries iSUPs that are local. For the most part, they all prefer fiberglass or epoxy boards, and that's understandable, as most local shops rent SUPs. I do want to demo before I buy a board, but if that's the case, I may have to wait until next season.

I did get a totally out of the blue chance to try a Starboard inflatable touring model, but it felt so unsteady to me (it felt really narrow), that I switched for the hard board and felt better. (Okay, technically a windsurfing board jury rigged as a SUP.)

Spookini, thanks for the input! I would prefer to get a hard board, but I'd prefer quality over price, so I'm willing to put good money down for a good board. Uli and Red seem to be getting pretty rave reviews, though it's hard to find feedback Naish's inflatable models.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »
SeaMe, I'm trying to find a place that carries iSUPs that are local. For the most part, they all prefer fiberglass or epoxy boards, and that's understandable, as most local shops rent SUPs. I do want to demo before I buy a board, but if that's the case, I may have to wait until next season.

I did get a totally out of the blue chance to try a Starboard inflatable touring model, but it felt so unsteady to me (it felt really narrow), that I switched for the hard board and felt better. (Okay, technically a windsurfing board jury rigged as a SUP.)

Something I've learned since I started to SUP: several hours on the road is worth it to try a board and avoid making a $1K+ mistake.

There's still paddling time left in this year and some of the best deals are now—if you can, expand your search area and see if you find what you're looking for.
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

tkdshine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 10:00:32 AM »
Well, I did it! I pulled the trigger earlier this week and bought the last Venus 10'6 board from AirKayaks. It should be here next Wednesday! Woo-hoo!!!

Any clothing in particular I should consider for fall paddling?

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »
Well, I did it! I pulled the trigger earlier this week and bought the last Venus 10'6 board from AirKayaks. It should be here next Wednesday! Woo-hoo!!!

Any clothing in particular I should consider for fall paddling?

Congrats on your purchase! What are you considering? Neoprene can extend a season, but "must-haves" are going to vary by your own tolerances and budget. For spring (late April/early May) I made due with 2mm pants (NP) and 2mm booties (SUPreme).
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal