Author Topic: SUP to the rescue  (Read 3146 times)

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
SUP to the rescue
« on: July 31, 2014, 12:16:20 PM »
There have been some interesting events that happened recently that can really bring SUP to the forefront in a very positive light. Just in the last 30 days...

1 - SUP rescue of swimmer bitten by great white in Manhattan Beach
2 - Two SUP guys struck by lightning in Venice aid in search and rescue of missing surfer also struck by lighting
3 - Standup paddler saves dog from drowning in Lake Washington - http://ow.ly/zLGG9

TallDude's sighting below got me thinking that SUPs seem like the most practical vehicle for patrol and rescue out in the water. I can just imagine the day when lifeguards on SUPs are patrolling the surf breaks where SUPs are hated on.

What's interesting, is I think the Lifeguards are getting the picture. I just saw a Lifeguard truck driving away from the Hobie warehouse with 4 new SUP's on the rack of their truck.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP to the rescue
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 06:49:49 PM »
I pilot for my long distance swimmer friends a lot, they find me much easier to see than a kayak. At the finish line of a race, a woman stepped on a large fish hook that ran thru her foot. The race organizers commandeered my sup for a stretcher to get her up the ramp to the ambulance. So I had to watch her bleed on my deck pad while they attended to her.

'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 06:42:22 AM »
How did you clean the blood off your deckpad?

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 07:51:30 AM »
Unfortunately, it was my girlie Naish Nalu with the blue and white pad. After she left in the ambulance I threw the board in the river for a rinse and then scrubbed it down at home later, so it came off. Kinda weird that we are riding our own stretcher if anything happens, just add a pair of roof rack straps for suspected back and neck injuries. ???
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:56:07 AM »
Oh, the swimmer was okay too.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:32:37 AM »
Here is another one from last week: http://www.wavescape.co.za/surf-news/breaking-news/shark-concerns.html

SUP's assisting shark attack victim and warning all waterusers....

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal