Author Topic: Uli air connection issue  (Read 1796 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Uli air connection issue
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:47:21 AM »
I hauled out the Uli this week to let my daughter take to her place for when friends want to paddle but I'm having problems getting full inflation. I'm just using the hand pump. I get it pumped up and then go to remove the fitting and air comes blasting out. Looks like the check valve isn't holding and by the time I get the cap on too much pressure gets lost. Anyone else have issues and know of a fix? BTW...this is not any bash of Uli....board was a gift to me long ago and has been beaten on many times without issue until this. I do wish they had a better connector than the bayonet fitting though. Do others have a valve stem or needle insertion valve available, would make it much easier when using a compressor. I think i may rig something up if/when I fix the check valve.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Uli air connection issue
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 11:57:34 AM »
I've had this happen before on boards that have been stored awhile and I'd suggest just getting some air in it and depressing the valve between open & closed position a few times and it should loosen up.  I you have a empty shop vac put it over the valve on reverse so you don't have to use the hand pump.     
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

shankfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • shankfoo on fb
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:03:30 PM »
Steve from ULI sent me a valve wrench a long time ago and told me to keep it in case anyone on the East coast needed it.

This sounds like a different problem though, but maybe the wrench will help you... it's just sitting in my trunk now.

Anyway, if you want to remove and replace the valve ( like with this? http://www.nrs.com/product/1470/new-short-halkey-roberts-valve )  I can send you the wrench... PM me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:07:29 PM by shankfoo »
- Kevin -
| Angulo Shaka 14' | Surftech Bark Laird 14' | Coreban Alpha 12'6 | Uli 14' | Red 10'6 || QB Kanaha 100 86" |

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
Check with your manufacturer first, but we recommend spray some " food grade " silicon in to the valve before inflation. This used to happen some times on our SUP in 2012. I think the newer valves have solved this problem too.
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 01:16:46 PM »
Sweet! Thanks everyone. Shank, I may take you up on that if I can't get it to seal.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal