Author Topic: spied - 2015 SB "Race"  (Read 22664 times)

SupTrip

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
spied - 2015 SB "Race"
« on: July 31, 2014, 08:49:01 AM »
I almost feel guilty about letting a cat out of the bag like this, but I don't think Starboard will mind? 

While perusing the interwebs I found some promotional material for a new model starby, looks promising.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: spied - 2015 SB "Race"
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 08:04:33 PM »
Hell yeah. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 08:28:05 PM »
It sure seems to show some current trends, and they make sense to me:

--sunken deck effect, but without side rails that trap water
--lots of volume in nose, to make up for volume lost by sinking deck
--wide, flat tail to give stability without having to make board wider at widest point
--nose backs off from being a full Bark-type displacement nose, with some rocker, and "upside-down" profile that pierces water but doesn't catch as much wind or chop from side (reminds me of my Javelin--works about as well for flatwater as a Bark but better for ocean)

At least that's how it seems to me from looking at the top and side views.  Seems similar to the newer NSP, Fanatic, etc. boards.

Also interesting are the recommended max. paddler weights of 85 and 100 kg, which seem about right to me. 

I wonder what weights are.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 05:26:44 AM »
The most radical production race board yet. I’m also glad to see that they didn't skimp on the traction pad. Thanks for posting it.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 05:44:12 AM »
Hmmm - seems like they may have paid attention to my 'losing their way' thread :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:52:56 AM »
No handle.. again.. What are they thinking..  :(

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 07:06:17 AM »
wish they wouldn't put a handle on the small surfshapes :P  Almost busted my toe off the other day

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 07:33:44 AM »
Yes there is...#1 is a handle insert. It's just way out from where you would expect normally and likely indicates the center of mass (probably because of the dropped deck). 
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 01:24:55 PM »
all these type boards need strap handles instead of slots. When you start fiddling with fins the board goes nose or tail heavy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 03:20:56 PM »
Yes there is...#1 is a handle insert. It's just way out from where you would expect normally and likely indicates the center of mass (probably because of the dropped deck).

Pretty sure that's for a racing (drag it the water) type handle.. Same as their past boards.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 03:28:07 PM »
all these type boards need strap handles instead of slots. When you start fiddling with fins the board goes nose or tail heavy.

It would need to be pretty big fin changes.. I'm going to get my 14' LE out and see how it's effected with.. fin on.. and fin off.. and see if there's much difference in balance using the handle.. I'm guessing not much.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 05:26:16 PM »
Looks like a great race board. Can it downwind and catch waves too?

On the subject of handles and balance points, my 2013 Fanatic Falcon is super tail-heavy with any fin installed (I haven't tried lifting it without. It's so off-balance that it almost negates the utility of the nice "ledge"-style handle.  :'(

SupTrip

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 08:29:34 PM »
I paddle a 2014 sprint & allstar. Both 14', sprint 26" wide, all star 25.5".

I'm really excited to see how this board performs, as i think it is intended as a blending of the sprint & all-star.

Ive paddled my sprint for the last month almost exclusively, when i got back on my all-star a few days ago the differences between the two were really apparent.

First paddling the all-star seems to compress into the water and then pop back out when i take a stroke. This is the rocker right? Also the first buoy turn i tried I almost came full circle.

The sprint feels like a skateboard on pavement, it just stays flat through a stroke and is fast. But it cant catch a bump to save its life, and buoy turns mean wedging/crunching your foot in between the walls of the recessed deck.

I wonder if the "race" will be too much of a compromised shape, i.e. not great on flatwater or downwind, just okay in any condition. I'm also curious to see whose name will be on the bottom w/ Brian S leaving? Also, will the board will flex too much with a recessed deck and no stiffening ribs/high sides like the 2014 sprint .

As far as handles are concerned, the center strap handle is the only way to go for the 2014 sprint, and they're 20 bucks or something? And the fin does make a difference, the stock fins weigh very little compared to a knock-off black project fin i made out of a slab of G10. Enough to tip the board one way or the other for sure. 

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 12:09:25 PM »
Who said that Brian S. was leaving?

The fact that he was announced as the shaper of another brand, apparently has nothing to do with staying at starboard.
At least he's signing the new race boards. And believe me... there are a lot more news... BIG news.

SupTrip

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 05:07:11 PM »
Johnny-
I guess I just assumed Brian's deal was exclusive, in hindsight that was very dumb.  It's not like the guy is shaping each board, after he gets the design finalized the robots take over.

So that's good to hear, sorry to all for insinuating otherwise.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal