Author Topic: Is the Kialoa Insanity the most durable of the lighter paddles?  (Read 3222 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
My surf paddle is on its last legs.  Been repaired so many times that it is getting heavy.  Thinking seriously about a Kialoa Insanity.  The all carbon, one-piece with the carbon/plastic composite blade.  I'm told it is really durable and still pretty light.  Anyone have one?  Opinions?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is the Kialoa Insanity the most durable of the lighter paddles?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:46:30 PM »
I have one and love it.. I'd love to buy another to use for surfing..

It's so light that when you swap sides it feels like you're just swinging a shaft by itself..

The catch part of the stroke is a little softer but it pulls very straight and smooth through the water.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:27:03 PM »
+1 on what DJ said. 

Another lightweight, durable option would be the Werner Soul, which is around the same price.  Or the Nitro - all carbon but a stout layup. 

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 04:30:02 AM »
I bought one couple months ago. It is now my absolute favorite paddle and I have  Ke Nalu,Naish,QB,and Kialoa Hapa. Anyone want to buy these used paddles in Eastern North Carolina. I swear the Insanity is lighter than the Ke Nalu and I like the lighter catch. No flutter,even if you only sink half the blade or only a third of the blade(windy,choppy conditions). I paddle salt water mostly and the sand and shells have not caused the bottom of the blade to feel the least bit rough and I'm guilty of pushing off the shores as I island hop and tour mostly. I love it,if I buy another paddle it will be an Insanity but an adjustable so family and friends can use it.

The Ke Nalu has only been paddled one time and I'll sell it tomorrow.

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:53:59 AM »
I switched from a Werner Nitro to a Black Project epic pro a few months ago. 50% lighter then the Werner, with a slimmer shaft, I'll admit I was a bit skeptical at first that I'd break it, but dozens of heavy sessions later it's still mint. Shaft is made in hood river by nolimitz (they make windsurf masts) so you know it's quality. I picked up my two Nitros to take pics to sell last week and I could never go back, it feels so clunky, big and heavy.  Similar price. Www.blackprojectfins.com
Don't forget to bring a towel!

shankfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • shankfoo on fb
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:23:56 PM »
I bought one couple months ago. It is now my absolute favorite paddle and I have  Ke Nalu,Naish,QB,and Kialoa Hapa. Anyone want to buy these used paddles in Eastern North Carolina. I swear the Insanity is lighter than the Ke Nalu and I like the lighter catch. No flutter,even if you only sink half the blade or only a third of the blade(windy,choppy conditions). I paddle salt water mostly and the sand and shells have not caused the bottom of the blade to feel the least bit rough and I'm guilty of pushing off the shores as I island hop and tour mostly. I love it,if I buy another paddle it will be an Insanity but an adjustable so family and friends can use it.

The Ke Nalu has only been paddled one time and I'll sell it tomorrow.

If you're selling paddles I'm interested but I'm in Boston.
- Kevin -
| Angulo Shaka 14' | Surftech Bark Laird 14' | Coreban Alpha 12'6 | Uli 14' | Red 10'6 || QB Kanaha 100 86" |

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 06:05:19 PM »
shankfoo,I'm gonna sell a few of these. I'm thinking the Ke Nalu X tuff S Maliko,Naish 2014 Makani adjustable, and QB Kanaha fiberglass. I'm in North Carolina and have no idea what shipping to Boston would be but if you are interested in any of these email me and we'll talk. THANKS

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal