Author Topic: Alternative 'slippery paddle' cure...  (Read 6486 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Alternative 'slippery paddle' cure...
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:29:50 AM »
I like my KIALOA Methane for the surf but I have had a problem; I am so occupied with simply staying upright in multiple short period swells with a wind component ..and then positioning for a takeoff that I seem to loose all the paddle handling skills I have in flat water. ..add a slippery handle and shaft and I look spastic.  A few days after I got the  Methane I posted 'Help!' here with recommendations of sanding, etc.. 

A few days ago I posted about coloring the blade of this paddle and Chilly asked whether the same spray, Plasti Dip, would work on the shaft.  I never thought of it, but quickly tried.  I only had about a one hour test, but the answer is Yes and Yes.

I only shot the active area of leading and trailing edges of the shaft but 100% of the handle.  I had some Grey that I bought to darken chrome on an SUV.  I only did two coats with a 24hr dry. 

I love the effect. It is non-slip but not so gummy that it retards that upper-hand-slide you can do when you switch from right-to-left. (..like I do that in the surf!)  Only a one hour test, but I am convinced it's better than the other chit I tried before.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative 'slippery paddle' cure...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 08:14:46 AM »
I find the only thing that helps when you get sunscreen on your hands is hockey tape, but it's too sticky initially. I wrap it OUT of the grip area and give it a coat of wax, which mitigates the stickiness. Then I can drop my hand to it for a few strokes and get the goop off. Of course I try to get all the sunscreen off my hands at first, but I have to slobber it on my head, so one handrub to get water out of my eyes and it's slippy time.

I've tried a lot of coatings on the shafts, nothing I've tried works better than clean hands on a ridged Ke Nalu shaft, but I can't rely on that. Most traction compounds yield blisters on a longer paddle.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Twitchy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 03:13:18 PM »
I haven't had any issues with slippery paddles outside of sunscreen on my hands.  This weekend at a race my hand actually slipped off the t-handle midway through the race and it punched me in the face.  I almost fell off and went down to my knees for a second.  I had to laugh as it was in front of a bunch of people and I'm sure someone got it on camera.  I'll have to try hockey tape on the handle. ;D
14' Niash Javelin MC
9'6" JL B&B
9'2" NSP Cocomat-beater board
7'4" Starboard Pro

Clemdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:53:45 PM »
 I just wear gloves when paddle surfing.  Nylon work gloves with a sticky grip surface.  As an added bonus, they are SPF "a lot".  I've been surfing this pair hard for a year and a half and they are still in great shape. See what they have at your local hardware store.
Clem
San Diego
Naish 8'8 X32
Starboard 8'10 Wide Point
Starboard 9'5 Wide Point

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:37:02 PM »
Like PB, I tried a number of tapes.  I found a decent tennis grip that I could cut and slide two pieces over the handle.  I got some trick white tape.. but it's white?!  This half has lasted about 10 sessions...

Lower down I used some really thin non-skid..  It worked ..eh, OK.

I got two full hours in the surf today with the spray.  I had two different swells <2' and wind chop, so I was on/off and all over the place, but the paddle felt great.  It stayed pretty wet and, even then, never felt slippery as originally delivered. 

Twitchy,  I agree, damn sunscreen will act like K-Y lube on the shaft. Now - I always face paint before I leave and wash the hell out of my hands in the sink.  That carbon punch does not sound pleasant.. maybe a mouth guard next time.

Clem,  I tried some very fine sailing gloves after a kite line attempted to de-glove my index finger a number of years ago.. parked them.  I just can't justify them in 70 degree water.   I did get a very similar pair to yours at Home Depot and they work great pulling on an all-smoothie wetsuit. ..no fingernail tears.  Cheers all - I'm done.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »
After I use sunscreen, I rub my hands with a little dirt or sands. Works pretty good.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »
After I use sunscreen, I rub my hands with a little dirt or sands. Works pretty good.
Was just going to post this myself.

Apply sunscreen.....grab a couple handfuls of sand (dry obviously works better than wet).....rub hands together.....repeat a couple times if needed.....usually twice is enough.

No more sunscreen on hands, and remaining dust/dirt washes right off when you launch in the water.  No muss, no fuss.....and especially no slippery paddle handle.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 02:55:54 PM »
I had a reverse problem recently.  The trees where I park are dripping some very sticky stuff.  I usually set my paddle on the tonneau cover before leaving the house and after paddling.  The paddle shaft became so sticky, my lower hand wouldn't slide at all.  I finally had to remember to clean it off.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »
The spray grip sounds good but I bought a pair of lightweight diving gloves similar to the workgloves Clemdog posted. I really like the feel. I don't always wear them but I definitely will for long distance. CCBC for sure.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 03:04:33 PM »
wax

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 04:35:23 PM »

Hello all,

Ask my neighbors, nobody wears more sunscreen than me at dawn.

I got a methane and I don't touch the contact area until I rub (i know it's not enviro friendly) with a good had full of sand before launching.  Not problem!

RC

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 06:09:05 PM »

Hello all,

Ask my neighbors, nobody wears more sunscreen than me at dawn.

I got a methane and I don't touch the contact area until I rub (i know it's not enviro friendly) with a good had full of sand before launching.  Not problem!

RC

and we've seen pictures.... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 06:22:47 PM »
Is it just me or have other people never had this problem?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 08:34:24 PM »
Is it just me or have other people never had this problem?

+1 and its not for the lack of paddling...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal