Author Topic: Fast board that is still fun in waves?  (Read 5521 times)

tbsurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fast board that is still fun in waves?
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:52:11 PM »
Is there a surf/race board with good paddling speed and some wave riding ability.  I don’t race or do downwinders, but enjoy distance paddling when the waves aren’t good.  The current generation of race boards appear way faster than my first generation Glide.  I would like a board which goes fast and can handle swell, chop and wind, and still rides waves reasonably well.  I am interested in the 12’6” x 28” All Star, or 12’2” x 30” Freeride (per Starboard’s graph, it rates 9 on speed to the All Star’s 10, but may work better for wave riding).  Any ideas or experience with either of these? 

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fast board that is still fun in waves?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:32:05 PM »
Is there a surf/race board with good paddling speed and some wave riding ability.  I don’t race or do downwinders, but enjoy distance paddling when the waves aren’t good.  The current generation of race boards appear way faster than my first generation Glide.  I would like a board which goes fast and can handle swell, chop and wind, and still rides waves reasonably well.  I am interested in the 12’6” x 28” All Star, or 12’2” x 30” Freeride (per Starboard’s graph, it rates 9 on speed to the All Star’s 10, but may work better for wave riding).  Any ideas or experience with either of these?
SIC Bullet 12

supLaz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:38:31 PM »
SIC Bullet 12
1000% agree
Laz

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »
I designed our 11'11" One World Surfari to fill that niche...

The 11’11″ One World Surfari crosses the 26 mile wide Santa Barbara Channel…great for touring and down wind runs on a lake…or, in the deep blue water ocean…or, dropping into 25' - 30' faces at mysto slabs...or, just ankle biters on a lake...a surfing glider or a gliding surfer…you choose…maximum versatility…functional minimalism…ONE BOARD…ONE WORLD…

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2012/12/one-world-series-sups.html

Here is a review from a client who tested the Surfari's smaller 11'1" brother in double sided Australian Pine against the 12' Naish glide and 12'6" Starboard Race...our carbon version is ~ 20% lighter and even higher performance for under $2K...also, will come with a custom bamboo fin set optimized for DW and surfing...

"My One World got to Miami in perfect shape. Great packing job.
It took a week for the wind to finally come down (actually its been months ) so this morning it was time to launch the board for the first time.
By the way did I say how beautiful the double sided Australian Pine is , well it is!
The board is a pleasure to carry , I weighed it when I got it and its 27 lbs , 4 pounds lighter than my old 12′ Naish Glide . The One World paddles as fast as my Starboard 12’6″ x 31″ and the Glide. I am not a fast paddler . This morning I averaged 3.5 mph on my 3.38 mile paddle per my Garmin GPS.
The board does have incredible glide for an 11’1″ board . Better than all of my other boards ."

We've GPS tested it against a bunch of other boards...even 14'ers...and, it came out on top...

We have both of these One World's available at our shop near the water in Santa Barbara for demo...

We can also build a custom off of this template at whatever dims you want...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:31:17 PM »
My answer? Any surf shape over 11' and 30" or under, will make you happy.

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 08:53:41 PM »
I really like my Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6" for the small stuff....getting addicted to the glide.

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 10:04:18 PM »
Ditto on the Ron House Coastal Cruiser.  It's 12'6" x 30", and glides well, and surfs decent.
I have surfed my race boards (see quiver list below), but the rails just aren't made for surfing.  Yeah, you can coerce them into an angled glide, but it's more survival mode/gliding, than 'surfing'.
Also, the fins typically used on race boards (I have Larry Allison's Gladiator Hybrid on my Fanatic Fly Race 12'6, and a LA Becker Keel on my BARK 14'), are not generally very forgiving in the surf.

So check out my Coastal Cruiser with Larry Allison's custom Pro Box fin set up.   Glides straight and true (like a race board), added stability (like a race fin) , yet surfs well (like a surfboard).  I'm stoked with this board/fin set up. 
I typically paddle a few miles and surf uncrowded reefs, or cruise up/down the coast catching beach breaks away from the prone surfers.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:06:26 PM by mik911 »
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 07:33:15 AM »
Here's the 11'11" One World Surfari with my single 9.25" WD FreeWeed and also a 2 + 1 setup with my 8.75" WD FreeWeed  and 3.19" sidebiters...
My low aspect FreeWeeds work very well going through the kelp beds...but, also since I have distributed the surface area over a wider horizontal distance, they offer superior lateral resistance to side chop knocking the board off track...the wide base acts as a keel keeping the drag factor lower...and, the progressive flex in the tip area makes them nice and responsive on a wave...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/tag/bamboo-sup-fins

#stokedforlife #supfins

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

tbsurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 09:19:56 PM »
mik911,
Do your race boards, Fanatic Fly and Bark 14, paddle much faster than the Coastal Cruiser?  My primary goal for this board is paddling speed, but still possible to ride waves (after a fashion).  Thanks, TB

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 11:21:51 PM »
I haven't done any GPS comparisons, but the race boards definitely 'feel' faster.  Their piercing canoe noses cuts through the water, and allows the board to glide effortlessly, whereas the planing 'surfboard' style nose of the Coastal Cruiser slaps and plows over the unbroken water.
Life's a compromise.
If I want to mainly paddle distance, yet can't resist surfing a few knee-waist high rollers, I don't hesitate taking out a race board.
If I want 50/50 paddle/surf, the CC is the call.
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

MaineSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
Coreban Alpha 12'6" is a good cruising/DW board that is also fun in the surf.  You won't win any races on flatwater but it moves pretty good.  I've had a lot of fun surfing it, you can get on waves real early and make big turns but nothing fancy. It's real pretty too.

Coreban Dart 14'
SIC Bullet 14 V2
Sunova Speeed 9'2"
Red Sport 12'6"

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 01:02:11 PM »
Our 11'1" One World is faster than the 12'6" Coreban according to GPS...and, it surfs way better...the 11'11" One World Surfari is faster than the 11'1"...
We had a dealer on the East Coast clock it faster than some 14'ers on the market...
Here's a couple of different angles...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 07:30:54 PM »
Check out the Jimmy Lewis M-14. Somebody at the Lobster SUP Cup (2 day x 10 mile ocean race) paddled one this year and did pretty well, if I remember correctly. Shoals paddles one here on the NH Seacoast and has been surfing it when we get some good swells too. 

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 01:56:20 PM »
WarDog,How does the 11'11" Safari compare in glide and speed to Hobie 12'2" ATR11?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal