Author Topic: Weather forecast help  (Read 1959 times)

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Weather forecast help
« on: July 27, 2014, 05:44:58 PM »
I need help finding a reliable weather source. I used to go to weather.gov, but they were blatantly incorrect more than half the time, so I switched to weather.com. I don't particularly care for TWC as a company, but they are usually accurate.

So yesterday, when I checked the weather forecast for my area and south jersey by the hour and saw nothing but this:

And the phrase "isolated t-storms" for the entire day, I wrote off any paddling and committed to attending a meeting in the morning and a dinner in the early evening.

Worse paddling decision I ever made. We had beautiful, glorious sun ALL. DAY. LONG. :'(  >:( Not a single drop, maybe one little gray cloud in the afternoon. Weather forecasting isn't an exact science, but my sources suck. Any recommendations on where/how to find trustworthy reports?

One of our dinner guests suggested Radar Now after I explained why the beautiful weather was making me angry:
http://radarnow.net/
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Weather forecast help
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »
Find local sites that have local radar loops, and rely on them mostly, that seems to be the most accurate for me.
I like Weather Underground, and AccuWeather, they seem to be more accurate.
And any site that ends with .gov, I'd be suspect of,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just saying.  :-\
It takes a quiver to do that.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:10:36 PM »
try weather spark
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 05:13:48 AM »
Use local sites that have local radar loops as suggested for the evolution during the day.

For  wind forecasts: http://www.windfinder.com
   look at Superforecast view   

For glance at the week : www.meteoblue.com
   I like the "all-in-one" view

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 06:08:44 AM »
I like Underground. The airport is 300yds from the ocean.   http://www.wunderground.com/US/MD/Ocean_City.html 

Sea,  Sunday was a real stinker just south of you; two miles from the beach winds were offshore .. 'get there and it's cranking side-shore.  Chit!

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 06:48:00 AM »
Marilyn,

I suggest you follow my mothers weather forecasting

"NEVER plan your day on weather because all it is going to do is change"

We left for MANY ski races, Sailing Regattas, Surf Contest in pouring rain and MOST OF THE TIME we had great conditions and ALL THE TIME WE HAD A GREAT TIME!

In other words just go when you can and don't beat yourself up when you can't
We had some fun DW runs yesterday until most of the crew skipped over to WS and had an EPIC afternoon!

JimK

JimK

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 07:29:09 AM »
try weather spark
+1 Decent forecasting and the dashboard interface for displaying current and forecast data and is great. That and a big radar display for fine tuning the day of is about the best you can do. That and following JimK's Mom's advice.... :D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal