Author Topic: Molokai to Oahu 7/27 -congrats Maui guys  (Read 12462 times)

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
Re: Molokai to Oahu 7/27 -congrats Maui guys
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »
And we Europeans have our first M2O winner in Sonni.

How many times has he told us he'll never do it again???

He was saying the same thing on Sunday!

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 12:13:33 AM »
Here's a quick glide clip mid channel.

http://youtu.be/DmHWJ7AEs60

corrego

• Malibu Status
  • Ni pena ni miedo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 06:26:03 AM »
What is Dave Kalama wearing in hist head, at the back attached to his visor?
Anyone knows?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 06:30:15 AM »
Looks like an iPod mini. Maybe it's an MP3 of his voice saying "I'll never do this again, I'll never..."
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 08:37:36 AM »
What is Dave Kalama wearing in hist head, at the back attached to his visor?
Anyone knows?

His mp3 player.  He had one ear in and the other not so that he could hear our location and other info.  He had a game plan on where he wanted to be during different times of the crossing.  He knew most of the pack would head north.

supLaz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 11:24:16 AM »
How is with SIC driver Georges Cronsteadt? heard nothing of him for a while..
Laz

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 06:52:11 PM »

Nice clip.  Good and close.  With 720 ...great Thanks.  How did you feel after shooting for awhile?  Or did you keep the clips short?

Such a psychological lift to get glides with that kind of distance in front of you, otherwise you're marching into Russia during the winter.  I kind of imagine it like hitch hiking. 

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 07:19:01 PM »

Nice clip.  Good and close.  With 720 ...great Thanks.  How did you feel after shooting for awhile?  Or did you keep the clips short?

Such a psychological lift to get glides with that kind of distance in front of you, otherwise you're marching into Russia during the winter.  I kind of imagine it like hitch hiking.

THanks, I keep the clips short.  There's no way you can record video on a rocking boat for an extended amount of time.  Keeping the subject in frame is very difficult.  I didn't have any special equipment other than a short monopod.

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 08:55:25 PM »
What happened to Joe Bark?
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 02:12:55 AM »

Canary Islands is Europe? And Sonni has lived on Maui so long that her lilting Canary accent fits around a lot of pidgin.
Sonni is German. Germany is a part of Europe. She has spent most of her life in the Canary Islands, which is a part of Spain (also a European country) and the Canarian currency is the Euro. Many European watersports professionals base themselves in the Canary Islands because the surf is so good and it is warm all year round. Eric Terrien is another. If you were intending to win the M2O it would be sensible to train extensively in the Hawaiian Islands. That wouldn't change your nationality or heritage.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 07:27:50 AM »
I was more or less pulling your leg, Area. Sonni is an acquaintance of mine, and I know she's German. Wonderful lady, and a tremendous athlete. When we did the video for Dave Kalama's Waterman Workout Sonni was the female athlete, Chris Pagdilao (and of course Dave) were the male athletes.

That reminds me that someday I need to do something with those videos. For now it's just on http://www.watermanworkout.com/
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 10:54:46 AM »

Canary Islands is Europe? And Sonni has lived on Maui so long that her lilting Canary accent fits around a lot of pidgin.
Sonni is German. Germany is a part of Europe. She has spent most of her life in the Canary Islands, which is a part of Spain (also a European country) and the Canarian currency is the Euro. Many European watersports professionals base themselves in the Canary Islands because the surf is so good and it is warm all year round. Eric Terrien is another. If you were intending to win the M2O it would be sensible to train extensively in the Hawaiian Islands. That wouldn't change your nationality or heritage.
I knew that about the Canary Islands, but didn't realize that about Germany.  I always thought Germany was in Scandinavia, not Europe.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »
What happened to Joe Bark?

From passed down sources... not even 2nd or third hand so you know how that goes.  But a radio call was apparently sent out from the boat of prone paddler Bark about harassment by a shark.  Also in the rumor mill was that one team pulled out after multiple bumpings and a shark even sliding a bit on to the top of the board.  Then there was the famous radio personality Bob Arnot, bringing up the far rear of the pack of channel challengers.  He in his infinite wisdom chose to ride a standamaran with limited to no real experience on it.  He apparently fell into it at one point, whacking the side of his jaw and knocking a molar clean out.  With ensuing evacuation of blood from his mouth, he also reportedly had visitors from the deep.

Then I heard that the Bark story was BS.  So who knows.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 11:21:54 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

THanks, I keep the clips short.  There's no way you can record video on a rocking boat for an extended amount of time.  Keeping the subject in frame is very difficult.  I didn't have any special equipment other than a short monopod.
[/quote]

What I was referring to was getting nausea looking thru the view finder or LCD.  I found white shirts were difficult to find in bright light.  Red was the best.  So following DK when he was around in his fav red shirt was easier than keeping Conner in white shirt focused during 2012 M2M.    Continued effort at trying to find him in view finder resulted in a queezy stomach.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 11:57:29 AM »

I knew that about the Canary Islands, but didn't realize that about Germany.  I always thought Germany was in Scandinavia, not Europe.

Don't even joke about that PDX...Germans don't know from reindeer meatballs...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal