Author Topic: Molokai to Oahu 7/27 -congrats Maui guys  (Read 12466 times)

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Molokai to Oahu 7/27 -congrats Maui guys
« on: July 27, 2014, 04:12:59 PM »
Proud here on Maui today for our homies :

33 4:08:08 Connor Baxter HAWAII, USA SUP UNL M01-29
 2 1 4:09:15 Travis Grant Australia SUP UNL M30-39
 3 2 4:19:57 Scott Gamble Hawaii, USA SUP UNL M30-39
 4 4 4:23:35 Kai Lenny Hawaii, USA SUP UNL M01-29
 5 6 4:23:54 Travis Baptiste Hawaii, USA SUP STK M01-29
 6 80 4:24:44 Dave Kalama HAWAII, USA SUP UNL M40-49
 7 97 4:31:15 Livio Menelau Hawaii, USA SUP UNL M30-39
 8 5 4:35:26 Kaeo Abbey Hawaii, USA SUP UNL M01-29
 9 38 4:41:06 Armie Armstrong NEW ZEALAND SUP UNL M40-49
 10 85 4:50:50 Andrew Logreco HAWAII, USA SUP STK M01-29

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Molokai to Oahu 7/27 -congrats Maui guys
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 09:12:20 PM »
Proud on the other side of the Pacific too

Armie 2nd non-american home and Pea 3rd women
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:31:46 PM by Kaihoe »

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:24:14 PM »
Travis Grant just a minute off Conner. That's a race. Congrats to the Oregon crew of Gates, Leion and Dies. Nice work guys.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »
And we Europeans have our first M2O winner in Sonni.

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 05:21:11 PM »
I was on Daves support boat, that stretch at China Walls was the best part, almost caught Kai.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:07:51 AM »
Great pics.  Looks like his back is a mile wide

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:11:02 AM »
I thought most notable was Travis Baptiste on a 14, only seconds behind Kai on an unlimited, for 5th place.  His board was a Bill Foote Maliko 14.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:34:29 AM »
Last pic of DK is amazing.....31 miles done and dusted and tackling the churned up messy waters of China Wall and he still is study in technical perfection...stacked shoulders, good rotation and excellent reach.....when I got to that point last year I was such a mess that any video of my technique would have been an instant "how-not-to-paddle-tutorial"......I could barely move my arms let alone try and attempt a mid-riff rotation. Ok in fairness, I had been on the water for about 3 more hours than DK at that very same point, that's gotta count as half a lame excuse......

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 07:32:23 PM »
I thought most notable was Travis Baptiste on a 14, only seconds behind Kai on an unlimited, for 5th place.  His board was a Bill Foote Maliko 14.

Yea, that kid was impressive.  He was on our tail most of the crossing.  He went north before Oahu almost out of site then made a bee line for the wall and came out of nowhere.  He was infront of Kai at that point, Kai came into the wall late and was struggling to get to it.  The current clearly was working against him until he got there.

I watched Kai go right on a wave in the surf, fall, then get up on his board and run down Travis which had kept going left and tried tracking to the finish.

The race for 4th was pretty cool to watch from the boat just a few yards back.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 07:36:46 PM »
  Too bad you didn't get video of that.  Bet it was outasight seeing two young guns like that.

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 07:43:37 PM »
  Too bad you didn't get video of that.  Bet it was outasight seeing two young guns like that.

I was mixing it up between pics and shooting vid all day.  We were on a smaller boat and in those conditions in that area was not very good to shoot video. 

I've got almost 32 gigs of content I'm going through now.  I'll post up some snacks for you later.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 07:48:26 PM »
Peterp, my thoughts exactly. I attended a Kalama Kamp and his form in that picture looks exactly like what he taught us when we were standing on dry land. The reason he can give kids like Kia and Conner a good run is his conistancy to perfect form.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 07:49:34 PM »

I was mixing it up between pics and shooting vid all day.  We were on a smaller boat and in those conditions in that area was not very good to shoot video. 

I've got almost 32 gigs of content I'm going through now.  I'll post up some snacks for you later.
Wow.  What luck.  Thanks.  I know how exacting it can be looking through or at a LCD.  Definitely increases the nausea factor.  When I did it, I had to take breaks from shooting or else.  So I have a high level of appreciation.  My pals are coming back with some wild stories.  Joe Bark getting bumped by the wild bunch and he kept on paddling.  Hardcore!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 08:18:35 PM »
And we Europeans have our first M2O winner in Sonni.

Canary Islands is Europe? And Sonni has lived on Maui so long that her lilting Canary accent fits around a lot of pidgin.

Travis Baptiste has come a long way. I wonder if that's my old Foote Maliko 14. I sold it to him a long time ago, but it was probably too wide for him now. Super good kid, and I love his dad. Great guy.

Dave is like a metronome. Every stroke is beautiful. Got to give him serious shit for doing it again this year. How many times has he told us he'll never do it again???

China Walls is probably the best reason not to do the M20. What a great name for a nasty-assed place. A buddy of mine lives in Waimanalo. He and I did a downwinder last year. we were going to start on the backside of Makapu point but since it was his first downwinder we just did portlock. As it was I sent him in at Kehala and finished the run alone. As I've said before, if downwinding was the Hawaii Kai run I probably wouldn't do it, though it might get better if I did it more than once every few years.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:31:53 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 09:20:09 PM »
Yeah, the 'best' is at the end in M2O, that's for sure. From Hanauma Bay along the China Wall, to the corner where you run in to Maunalua Bay, those were the most hellish conditions I've ever encountered. It made me realize what a true feat it is to do the race solo. In fact, I find it almost incomprehensible how these guys do it. To deal with a strong opposing current, exhaustion, lack of or unfavorable wind and an ocean that is going 5 directions at the same time, man, what can you say? Big respect for the solo paddlers.

Doing it for the first time, and having the relative luxury of being a three-man team, we learned a lot. We went too far north, assuming we could just jump on the swell and surf to the Oahu when the time came. But then the wind died. And then the current moved the whole channel the wrong way. That easy surf to the finish became 6 or 7 miles of grinding. The Ka'iwe had given another group of  newbies an education!

It was still epic, and while I don't think I could probably pull this one off by myself, I'd love to do it again on a team. We didn't set the course on fire but we finished in 5:38:18 and that was way faster than we expected to do it. Definitely an experience of a lifetime for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal