Author Topic: dave kalama's ideas for racing inflatables  (Read 21499 times)

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: dave kalama's ideas for racing inflatables
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2014, 08:25:44 PM »
is dave riding a proto type inflatable in the pic? looks like a fantastic board. anyone know what it is?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2014, 08:49:29 PM »
Chuck Patterson (Huge) won BOP on a 12'6.  Conner (The opposite of Huge) has won the unlimited in the M2M seven consecutive times.  Many of us here have suggested no restrictions for years. But in fairness, race results haven't seemed to match expectations of what body type should be able to dominate on what gear....and the rules have not changed.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2014, 09:34:03 PM »
Chuck won the first BOP and never won again. As soon as the level of competition stepped up to overcome sheer power with power to weight the restrictive board classes developed a maximum weight for the winners that is rarely overcome. There's a reason Chuck doesn't race anymore, and you don't see Dave Kalama, Thomas Maximus or Rob Rojas duking it out on 14's. What good does it do for them to come in tenth? The unlimited class doesn't show that pattern though with no significant opportunities for elite racers on unlimited boards the participation (except for channel crossings) is so low that the data isn't good.

Open ocean races generally don't have board classes for the elite paddlers so you see what you see--close competition on big boards that often average over eight mph even in the flats. If everyone was on the boards that suited them best we'd start seeing speeds increase in SUP racing. Not going to happen--people are too invested in the 14' limit. Sad, and terribly premature, but there you go.

I smell a data project. Damn, I really don't have the time for this.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:39:52 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2014, 09:40:38 PM »
It doesn't seem fair that just because I don't own a race board and a bit out of shape that I can't win a race.
At least in my own class, I've might have a shot.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2014, 10:16:11 PM »

AJR--I had the same feeling.  Just get rid of the inflatable part, and you still achieve just about all the good aspects of his idea, while getting rid of the biggest drawback (not being able to race the hard boards people already have).  And if inflatables are really going to be improving, you can still be competitive, if not exactly equal, on an inflatable.  And if you still do lose a bit of performance by choosing the convenience of an inflatable for travel, well, at least it was your own choice. 

Of course dropping the "inflatable" part means there won't be an increase in such sales and I noticed he was in an Imagine inflatable...

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2014, 07:08:59 AM »
Final tally:

25% want inflatables without borders
25% want all limits removed
25% want the status quo
24% don't race but can't pass on a good argument
1% is stoked with their me too inflatable launch.  Hey, last to the party is better than no party at all.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2014, 07:14:39 AM »
PS:  As an alternate event we could forego the SUP legs all together.  The somewhat reduced race would consist of the chicane run (now that there is some excitement) and a new blow up phase in which the racer would need to blow up the SUP (of their choice) to 20 PSI before proceeding back to the chicane.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:24:55 AM by Admin »

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2014, 07:24:34 AM »
is dave riding a proto type inflatable in the pic? looks like a fantastic board. anyone know what it is?

You'll know soon enough.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2014, 08:55:59 AM »
 24%.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2014, 09:24:25 AM »
SW, I strongly disagree...

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2014, 09:33:35 AM »
Then there's the 2% who are in favor of racing inflatables because they are skilled at darts or blowguns.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2014, 09:44:04 AM »
Or the ultimate secret weapon for success in racing inflatables--the DeWalt-16 Long-range Cordless Nail Gun:

http://toolmonger.com/2008/07/14/update-dewalt-16/

Looks good with any Naish board, and can shoot a 16d nail through a 2x4 at 200 yards:

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »
I'm not going to join the debate on classes but inflatables have come a long way in a short time and the last year has seen some of the biggest advancements in design & materials, and there's been some respectable finishes on them in some open class & pro events, including the BOP.  I think the next 3 to 5 years are going to be pretty interesting so get your nail guns ready if you don't want to get beat by a blow up.

Disclaimer: there are a lot of iSUPs that "look" great but don't work so well, especially for the big guys.  Most are out of the same factories that produce iSUPs for 90% of the SUP companies on the market today. 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

SUPoftheday

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2014, 11:36:23 AM »
I'm a little late to this party but here are my 2 cents. The only boards I have are inflatables. That being said, as a guy who digs technology, I love seeing all the carbon boards at races. The hi-tech part of this sport is spectacular and I see no need to suppress that, especially since so many people have already invested in the current stock sizes.

The real question is how many people who buy inflatables now are actually interested in racing. My guess is not that many. However, my only point is that if race organizers are proactive and add at least one inflatable class to their events, we may see folks who live in small apartments, for instance, realize that they can get out, have fun, train AND race. Keep in mind that the most likely type of person living in smaller spaces will be someone young, maybe a college student...ie the future of this sport.

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2014, 04:38:48 AM »
There are tons of different race classes in car racing too, or just think how many different kayak race classes there are. What's wrong with having 4 race classes for SUP?  Surfboards, 12'6", 14' & unlimited. That all times 2 for males and females. Restricting everyone to just inflatable boards would just have a lower turnout for races. I have 4 fiber glass boards and one inflatable and a certainly can't see myself getting a quiver of inflatable boards. I think the only one profiting from such a change is the inflatable board industry. Let's face it, the inflatables just don't last as long as a fiberglass or carbon board so you'd have to buy boards more often.

Racing just inflatable boards would also restrict development of new shapes. I have not seen a double concave inflatable board yet and I can't imagine there will be one.

What I don't understand is why there are so many age groups. A 50 year old paddler in good condition will kick a 18 year old's ass any day. I've seen that plenty of times. There are no such restrictions in other sports. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any age groups, there should just be quite a few less. Just my opinion.

Rob
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal