Author Topic: Costa Rica Rental/Spots  (Read 4454 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Costa Rica Rental/Spots
« on: July 27, 2014, 11:44:11 AM »
I'm planning a trip to the Tamarindo or Nosara area in late November/early December. I've done a good bit of research and contacted a few companies for a good rental SUP for surf.

Any suggestions? Who has everyone used on trips down there? I'm flying into Liberia and I'm thinking with Delta's poilcies I cannot take my board even if I wanted to (9'2" Fanatic AW).

So, I'm looking for a comparable board to what I ride, good carbon paddle, etc.

Also, how is Playa Avellanas for SUP, I'm probably going to stay at the JW Marriott because I have points and it's free, and frankly, free is hard to beat. I'll have a rental car so I can move around.

I'm comfortable in waves up to head high, but have only surfed beachbreaks. I'll probably also bring my kite gear and spend a few days at Arenal.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Costa Rica Rental/Spots
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 08:05:53 AM »
Hi there!!! I´m planning my 2015 family trip and CR is one of the spot i´m looking for.

PLease share with me your research and save me some time!! jejee

Want to rent a good SUP surf too and looking for a beach front accomodation (with a good spot in front of it, will be Paradise)

I have 3 small children and don´t want to move arround (if i want to avoid my wife anger, jeje)

Have a nice trip!!1

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 08:18:49 AM »
+2  :)

i plan on doing this trip Dec, Jan or Feb. I don't want a surf camp. Just sus rental and 1 bedroom beach bungalow. 

Surprised nobody has offered solid info, but may be a bunch in older threads! I copied this post from gr8lake from another thread. Could be starting point.

"Nosara is beautiful and very laid back.  Connect with Nate at http://www.nosarapaddlesurf.com/ to get out to some point breaks where you will be the only ones out.  He's got some good spots for smaller waves if the wife/kids want to get out to try it."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:30:06 AM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 11:33:32 AM »
if your going to play avellanas or tamarindo look up Marco.  Here is info from another thread

View Profile
 Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Tamarindo SUP store

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 07:44:24 PM »

I just got back last night!
I rented a couple of boards from Marco at http://costaricasupadventures.com
He is a member here and a great guy!

I emailed him and set up the rental, he has a great selection too!

YOU are going to have a BLAST!

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 03:15:22 PM »
I just got back from CR. Disclosure: My girlfriend and I are intermediate SUP surfers whose prior experience is exclusively on the Florida mid and southeast coast. Looking for more we hit Tamarindo. Research on the Zone put me in contact with "Costa Rica SUP Adventures," operated by Marcos Salazar. Advice was spot on.

Marcos made recommendations from his fleet of rental boards based on the size and shape of our home boards. After researching his offerings (An 8.5 Chelu (look it up) and a 9.0 MacTavish) and finding them to be first rate we were able to travel only with our paddles. The equipment was in great shape, the rental rates were very reasonable and Marcos allowed us to trade boards during the week if we wanted to try something else. (After two days I traded down in size.) Although we hadn't hired him for personal instruction (which he offers), we were in daily contact, picking his brain for the best time, tide and locations to surf given our abilities. On a couple of days we ended up meeting up with him and a student he was instructing at Playa Grande. He was always generous with his time, encouragement, advice and wealth of local knowledge. Our last day looked to be a washout, with thunderstorms moving through the Bay area. Marcos made a call to Avellanas, learned that the storm that was scaring everyone away had just passed there. A 25 minute drive South had us surfing perfectly clean, head high waves on a beach that was nearly empty.

Definitely returning and definitely connecting with Marcos again.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 09:12:37 AM »
Nice, yeah I've contacted Marcos along with Point Break Surf as they carry Fanatic boards (I ride a 9'2 AW).

I'm staying at the JW Marriott near Avellanas only because I can use points there and get the room for free. Planning on moving around as need be, but would like to ride most morninga t Avellanas and then go do activities, etc. with the wife in the afternoons.

We may end up spending a few nights at Arenal too, just because it looks cool and I can kiteboard there as well.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 09:44:54 AM »
Playa Avellanas is a beautiful place and great sup area.  Try to get to Arenal and La Fortuna two areas that are beautiful and there are activities to do.  Stay at the Resort on the Volcano "Tabacon"  that way the wife will appreciate the whole trip and want to go back asap.  The spas and hot springs in Tabacon are wonderful. So is the swim up bar.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 06:10:38 PM »
For those of you who have been to CR and around the Avellanas area, just wondering if there's somewhere that will be SUP-able in 5' to 7' south swell which is predicted for part of the time I'm there. I'm figuring 5-7' swell on MSW is equivalent to double-overhead or so in actual size since it's been 2-4' in recent days, and the reports say it's overhead.

I'm experienced, and fine with overhead waves here on the east coast, but I don't want to get too worked in CR, any suggestions for a mellower break if the swell picks up?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

Seafarer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 07:22:29 PM »
sorry to be a little off topic, but I agree with mdsurf about Tabacon.  Nothing like sitting in a hot river drinking a beer while watching a volcano erupt.  I was there about ten years ago and it was memorable.  Did a hike around Arenal while it was blowing off chunks of lava the size of cars.  They would shoot into the air and bounce down the mountain.  Would definitely go there if you know the volcano is active.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 05:18:15 AM »
sorry to be a little off topic, but I agree with mdsurf about Tabacon.  Nothing like sitting in a hot river drinking a beer while watching a volcano erupt.  I was there about ten years ago and it was memorable.  Did a hike around Arenal while it was blowing off chunks of lava the size of cars.  They would shoot into the air and bounce down the mountain.  Would definitely go there if you know the volcano is active.

Stopped erupting in 2010
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal