Author Topic: New Jimmy Lewis m14  (Read 4597 times)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
New Jimmy Lewis m14
« on: July 26, 2014, 01:59:54 AM »
First full on downwind board in Scotland!

Aim to use this to keep me fit on coastal trips and when the offshore days mean surfing the other SUPs isn't a goer. Over the next few years also aim to slowly get doing some proper downwinders once we have a few more like minded folks over here....got to start somewhere!

Had it out for a flat water trip last night....stable for a 28 wide board and obviously faster from a to b than my other surf sups. The finish and shape/ rocker on the board is quite something.

Will update you all as I go along....usually takes me a while to get a better idea of a board.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:14:45 AM by coldsup »

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
Re: New Jimmy Lewis m14
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:20:06 AM »
You will love it. Awesome downwinder. The most surfy of any boards we tested here in the Gorge. I won the AMs 2 years ago at the Gorge Challenge DW race.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 02:51:00 PM »
You will love it. Awesome downwinder. The most surfy of any boards we tested here in the Gorge. I won the AMs 2 years ago at the Gorge Challenge DW race.

Yeah....the surfiness ( just invented that word!) was a key factor as surfing floats my boat above all. The 2014 has been tweaked.....ever so slightly flatter rocker and tiny reduction of nose kick.....those who know the board say it is a tiny bit faster but feels the same. I'm new to boards like this so I wouldn't know any difference. My understanding is that the SIC bullet is deffo a faster downwinder but the M14 has a good surfing feel, better stability for folks like me and is great in difficult water.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 01:01:31 PM »
^^ Yep

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 05:15:41 AM »
Did I understand correctly you have a Naish Nalu 11'4? I have one too.

I used mine for years (5) while all my buddies tried different race boards. I never really understood the round rail shapes (and even round bottom) of early race boards. It was like they were shaped by canoe or kayak designers. They roll like logs and creat a counter-steer. I liked the way I could turn my Nalu when on a plane down a bump. Then I never really liked how a flat (no rocker) race board nose would catch a wave in front too easily.

So I waited. I was the straggler of my group for sure but I knew it was making me stronger and teaching me more. Anyway I knew to wait the first few cycles of fads in a new sport having witnessed windsurfing, mtn biking, parapente, and kitesurfing first years of radical design changes. Each years new design being close to useless the following year.

I ended up skipping the whole race board phase and jumping straight to a DW board right away. One look at a Jimmy Lewis M14 and I knew how it would handle.

Side by side in the garage the Nalu and the M14 share similar lines. No wonder the Jimmy Lewis M14 feels immediately like an old friend.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 01:56:01 AM »
Did I understand correctly you have a Naish Nalu 11'4? I have one too.

I used mine for years (5) while all my buddies tried different race boards. I never really understood the round rail shapes (and even round bottom) of early race boards. It was like they were shaped by canoe or kayak designers. They roll like logs and creat a counter-steer. I liked the way I could turn my Nalu when on a plane down a bump. Then I never really liked how a flat (no rocker) race board nose would catch a wave in front too easily.

So I waited. I was the straggler of my group for sure but I knew it was making me stronger and teaching me more. Anyway I knew to wait the first few cycles of fads in a new sport having witnessed windsurfing, mtn biking, parapente, and kitesurfing first years of radical design changes. Each years new design being close to useless the following year.

I ended up skipping the whole race board phase and jumping straight to a DW board right away. One look at a Jimmy Lewis M14 and I knew how it would handle.

Side by side in the garage the Nalu and the M14 share similar lines. No wonder the Jimmy Lewis M14 feels immediately like an old friend.

Yup - I have a 11 4 Nalu which i have used for surfing and some little coastal trips. Geat board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal