Author Topic: SUP ~ Surf (mini)Van Project?  (Read 16587 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP ~ Surf (mini)Van Project?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 09:21:05 AM »

Look for a later model Toyota Sienna that some old rich people drove.  The type of vehicle owners that show you the maintenance on the vehicle in a nice folder from the day they bought it.  Purchase it for cheap.

For some reason I can't picture an 'old rich person' driving a Toyota Sienna. Usually they drive a Cadillac or Mercedes. I think you mean't, buy a car from an 'anal retentive bean counter'. This is the type of person who will change the oil every 3,000 miles, on the number. Prides themselves on the current little service sticker on their windshield, has never driven over 60 mph, and doesn't surf.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 09:25:27 AM »
Different concepts of "rich."  Basically means old upper middle class and more clearly not one from "the hood" where folks may just be getting by.

Though, I will say I know quite a few rich folks who have a "grand kid hauler" in addition to the luxury ride. Rich people say, "both" is the term I remember.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 07:04:44 PM »
I think that concept model has been around (as a concept) for a few years.  I like it.  But then I like Honda Elements also.  In any case, I heard it was going to be very expensive---maybe a reason it's stayed a concept.

They were expected to start production this year, though I don't know if that's still the case:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-volkswagen-microbus-illustrations-vw-microbus-news
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »
I think you mean't, buy a car from an 'anal retentive bean counter'...and doesn't surf.

That's cold TD...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 08:42:49 PM »
Bean,
I'm married to a bean counter, and we have two great little bean counters we are raising. Over achievers? Yes. Surf? No..... On a recent trip to Vegas, my son says to me,"Dad, there were 15 call boxes and 6 overpasses since we got on the freeway."

But in no way was the reference to the term 'Bean' meant to be anything other than a standard unit of one. (Bean = one unit)

And in no way did I or do I want to, or intend to personally refer to you as a 'unit'...... of just one...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:49:57 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 09:08:45 PM »

Talldude

"This is the type of person who will change the oil every 3,000 miles, on the number. Prides themselves on the current little service sticker on their windshield, has never driven over 60 mph, and doesn't surf."   

You got it.  Buy a used Sienna from that guy and turn it into a surf van and your in  http://www.standupzone.com/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 10:06:31 PM »
VW buses are for enthusiasts--not for real use. No power, no features, limited reliability. Lovely critters, and I have some friends who worship them, but if you're looking for practical, look elsewhere.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 04:50:03 AM »
Bean,
I'm married to a bean counter, and we have two great little bean counters we are raising. Over achievers? Yes. Surf? No..... On a recent trip to Vegas, my son says to me,"Dad, there were 15 call boxes and 6 overpasses since we got on the freeway."

But in no way was the reference to the term 'Bean' meant to be anything other than a standard unit of one. (Bean = one unit)

And in no way did I or do I want to, or intend to personally refer to you as a 'unit'...... of just one...

Come to think of it I'm the only surfing bean counter I know.  And I did get one hell of a trade-in, and compliments from my car dealer, back in December... ;D

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 09:41:10 PM »
Not a Sienna, but my wife's 2006 Honda Odyssey mini van, soon became my mini van after we swapped vehicles for a couple weeks so I could work some of the bugs that had developed out of it.....that was a year and a half ago, after I found out it could do this.....

.....and what's not seen in front of the five chairs is a large cooler, and a large plastic container with all my towels and board shorts.  Five wetsuits (vest to full), three rash guards, paddling jacket, and cool weather hooded jacket hang in the van year-round on the ceiling grab handle where the left-rear seat was removed.

Have thought about selling, and going the "Westy" route, but there's no way the V-Dub handles all the above.....and three people also, so easily and comfortably.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:43:23 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

ptcrescent

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
Came across these two beauties on the way to surfing.

El Camino and Ranchero.

The guy was asking $12,400 obo for each. They looked really nice too.

Attach some kind of sup board rack, and have one sweet ride.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:11:23 AM by ptcrescent »
Rivera 11 6, BIC 10 4, and a hashed out 11 6 Wavestorm beater board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 10:14:46 AM »
Wow, that's pretty much a steal. Where are they? If there's no rust and they are as good as they look then 20K is more typical. Of course they range from $2K to $40K depending on year, model, originality, and condition. But still...

Oh, wait, I'd have to grow a mullet. I don't think I can do that. Never mind...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:19:26 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 07:08:19 PM »
Highly reliable and not exspensive.  Fits up to a 12-6 and doubles
as a winter changing room, camper and board locker.  Got hooked
on the surf van concept in high school and have had many since.

What is it?

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
SUP ~ Surf (mini)Van Project?
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »
My wife, being a confirmed VW fan (she's (German) would live any of those microbus designs. We have a Routan now, which is a Chrysler with a VW shell and suspension. It's a fine car, but nothing to write home about. Gets about 30 on the highway though, which is pretty good.

The rack is collapsible into the roof. It takes multiple SUPs easily. Here I've got two on the roof, but I've done three.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 09:37:02 PM »
Highly reliable and not exspensive.  Fits up to a 12-6 and doubles
as a winter changing room, camper and board locker.  Got hooked
on the surf van concept in high school and have had many since.

What is it?

Looks like a slightly modified Toyota Hiace

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal