Author Topic: SUP ~ Surf (mini)Van Project?  (Read 16613 times)

ptcrescent

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
SUP ~ Surf (mini)Van Project?
« on: July 25, 2014, 02:30:50 PM »
Okay, might get goofy here.

Currently using the every day Ford Escape to transport boards, which is fine. Something been thinking about for a while. Get a very reliable minivan, for maximum a few thousand dollars. Well, since the classic VW van is out of the picture.

Go completely surf rat gonzo on the thing.

Anyone else doing this? Recommendations of what make, model, years, etc.

Noticed 1980's VW van, for not a whole lot of money. An old small school bus is another idea.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 02:33:12 PM by ptcrescent »
Rivera 11 6, BIC 10 4, and a hashed out 11 6 Wavestorm beater board

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP ~ Surf (mini)Van Project?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 03:08:11 PM »
We have one of these and it just hit 200K. Same engine & transmission ( 99'). It runs perfect. One of our friends has 2 of them both over 200k same deal. Another friend drove his original engine  to 400k. He did put in a transmission at about 250K. 18 mpg, and built like a tank. They don't make them anymore. Not as cool as a VW van.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4564472224.html 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 04:08:33 PM »
Japanese or us minivan. Cheap if used, good for 300k. I'd recommend an Aerostar Eddie Bauer  seats drop flat to a giant bed for storage or sleeping. engine good  forever.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ptcrescent

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 04:27:16 PM »
Thanks all. This will be something more for next year and running some ideas.

Duh! Forgot. Had a '04(?) Ford Focus wagon. Great gas mileage, a lot of storage space.  Had this when started into sup'ing. Liked it for caring boards because of the low roof. Since sold it.

Love the idea of an old school bus. Problem is, lack of parts compared to a common car.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 04:48:52 PM by ptcrescent »
Rivera 11 6, BIC 10 4, and a hashed out 11 6 Wavestorm beater board

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:36:23 PM »
I have always wanted either a GMC Safari or a Chevy Astro van. I think they stopped making them in 04 or 05. All wheel drive, comfortable three row seating. The second and third row seats can come out. The second row seat can be installed backwards. Can be pimped out to the max. Lift kit, giant tires etc etc. I believe a Cape Cod Zoner has one.
Bunch of old shit

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 11:56:49 PM »
Addapost:

I've had a GMC Safari w/AWD for almost 3 years now.  It's been great for hauling boards, bikes, and kids.  The dutch doors make a very useful platform for waxing boards or working on fins.  It's like a small living room inside with the back seat removed.

But mechanically, it's been less than stellar and as a result she is being sold:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4582895214.html

I've now taken over the wife's '05 Honda Odyssey as she just bought an '09 version.  See the theme?  Super reliable, fast, rides well, solid mpg, fits up to 10' boards inside (so no roof rack aggravation), and can park and sleep in it anywhere without drawing attention.  Perfect stealth surf vehicle.  Surfer magazine did a piece on Grant Washburn's Toyota Sienna a while ago and I agree with the article's points.

http://www.surfermag.com/blogs/rob-gilley/ode-to-the-man-van/

There's a group of us around the San Onofre area that has embraced the minivan and it's hard to fight the economics and practicalities.  Admittedly the wife and I also have a small class C RV that picks up the slack for longer trips.

The Safaris and Astros are neat platforms to play with, but after nearly 3 years of headaches with mine, i'm out.  If you want in on a Safari, I've got a beaut parked outside the house for you.
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 07:46:23 AM »
My first two vehicles were "mini" vans although that hadn't been a term then.  A 65 ford econoline x-phone company van,
 and a 69 Chevy

These were awesome surfmobiles.
I also used a 1985 ford panel van for geologic work for years and kept a hansen 50/50 in there at all times while I worked at Pelican Point in NB

Other than Gas Mileage, there's not much you can say negatively about a running van as a surf ride.  (Those are as close to my models as I could get, Didn't have digital cameras back in those days)

These days, my lotto project (in my dreams) would be to restore a 63' ish Greenbrier.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:50:12 AM by SlatchJim »

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:36:36 AM »
I love my 2000 AWD Astro Van.
More room than a Suburban.
Seats 7 with all seats
Seats 3 with 3 SUPs stored in it full time.
Will accommodate up to an 11'2 SUP inside
Respectable gas milage
VERY reliable.... mine is over 190,000 miles, looks & runs great.
Great AWD .... better than any 4 x 4 pickup I ever had.... and I have had a LOT

They also have a cult following... like the VW Microbus

best part? You can pick up a nice used one for under $2,000  ;D

SupPadre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:15:11 AM »
I picked up a sprinter van that had been used by Fedex. It has 260,000 miles, but runs great and the 5 cylinder diesel engine has lots of miles left in it.  The cargo area is 13'9" long and has an enormous amount of storage space. The fact that you can stand up inside and put on your wet suit is very convenient.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 10:39:39 AM »
Addapost:

But mechanically, it's been less than stellar and as a result she is being sold:

The Safaris and Astros are neat platforms to play with, but after nearly 3 years of headaches with mine, I'm out.  If you want in on a Safari, I've got a beaut parked outside the house for you.
Sorry to hear you've had problems. The only experience I have personally is a good friend had one for years and put over 200,000 miles on it with very little trouble. I wish I had bought it from him when he traded it in. For sure they are ALL getting a bit old now.
Bunch of old shit

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 03:59:42 PM »
But this is really want you want. If you had $50K to drop on an old VW....

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 07:18:42 PM »

Look for a later model Toyota Sienna that some old rich people drove.  The type of vehicle owners that show you the maintenance on the vehicle in a nice folder from the day they bought it.  Purchase it for cheap.  Take out the back seats and use it just like a pick up truck to haul gear or whatever around.  You have the luxury of locking all you sup stuff inside and paddling whenever you want to.  Turning it into a stealth sup camping vehicle and the possibilities are endless.  Mini vans have really worked well for me for the last twenty five years.  Great surf vehicles if you don't mind what your driving ;)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=+toyota+sienna++stealth+camping&go=Submit&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=toyota+sienna+stealth+camping&sc=0-21&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&id=BD7753CCE69ADBA656625FA825F65805C0A52B48&selectedIndex=113

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 07:33:08 PM »
But this is really want you want. If you had $50K to drop on an old VW....

Sweeeeeeeet.

For a while it seemed like VW might start making these classics again, but they've opted to ditch 'retro' (see photo #1) in the name of 'modern' (see photo #2). It's just not the same… Well, it's not like I have $50K burning a hole in my pocket anyway.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 09:31:42 PM »
I think that concept model has been around (as a concept) for a few years.  I like it.  But then I like Honda Elements also.  In any case, I heard it was going to be very expensive---maybe a reason it's stayed a concept. 

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 08:35:55 AM »
Highly reliable and not exspensive.  Fits up to a 12-6 and doubles
as a winter changing room, camper and board locker.  Got hooked
on the surf van concept in high school and have had many since.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal