Author Topic: back in the game, sort of...  (Read 2265 times)

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
back in the game, sort of...
« on: July 25, 2014, 07:48:09 AM »
Took an extended vacation away from the Zone and SUP in general. Fell in love with playing hockey. Always been a Bruins fan, but never ice skated or held a hockey stick till last December. Now I play rec league 3 nights per week. 

Anyway, now I'm back and just in time for hurricane season. No more racing tho. I'm too damn slow and don't like to lose  ;D 

So, I'm unloading all my race gear and going strictly sup surf. If ever a serious downwind scene develops here i will jump in for sure. 

Happy to be back, see you on the waves  :D
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: back in the game, sort of...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 10:18:53 AM »
Hockey is a great sport especially to play. Played 20+ years of it.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »
20 years ago, I was playing roller hockey with a group of guys after work on Fridays in a parking lot.
A group had just opened an ice rink in our town and all the guys I played with were east coast transplants and they got the first 3 hours of ice when it opened.  I had to borrow everything to play that day, but that was all it took. For the next 4 years till I moved to where I am now, I played in 2 leagues and ran the youth hockey league on weekends.  TOTAL ADDICTION.  I would get calls at 10pm saying hey we need players.  I'd jump out of bed a play. Ice was so much better than roller.
I miss those days.  But once we moved to Discovery Bay, I was a 1.5 hour drive from the rink.  So I just stopped playing.
I feel your joy!
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 07:12:56 PM »
Oh ya! I am having a blast on the ice!! I continue to have a giant learning curve as most of the guys/girls I play with played high school and/or jr's or some college. Even some ex NHLers skating around here.

I do a private power skating lesson every week. This has helped tremendously. I also go to open skate, stick n puck sessions and like Disco said I play whenever possible, usually 3 nights per week. So much fun.

It took nearly 6 months to get in the flow of rec games and to start scoring and make decent passes. I can now skate forwards, backwards, hockey stop on both sides, do forward crossovers and a little backwards and tomahawk transitions. I really need to work on stick handling skills.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:18:41 PM by freetobeme »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 04:48:04 AM »
Wow....taking up skating and hockey this late has to be tough. I don't remember not being able to skate. I'd probably do just about as well as you at this point though. My skates have been hung up for 20 years.... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 06:25:16 AM »
Free, have fun... but if you start foiling your knuckles...   :o
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 09:50:39 AM »
Most of the injuries that plague me are from Rollerblade hockey... Well, the ones that aren't from racing motorcycles or skateboarding.

I'd still love to do it, but I think my knees wouldn't.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 11:54:36 AM »
I play in two separate leagues. One league is full of young studs 18-25 and a handful of guys in 30's and 40's. We play balls out for an hour. The other league is an older crowd ranging from 35-65 with some youngsters mixed in with less defense and skill set usually.

Hockey, as I'm learning, requires a lot of skill vs strength, being in shape and max effort. If you have all together even better but you def need the skills. I see guys in late 40s and 50s take kids to school with their experience and head for the game.

It's amazing tho to watch some guys who look like their 25 on ice take their helmet off and they have gray or no hair and don't walk particularly well off ice.

Right now I'm just concentrating on my skating, not turning over the puck and being in the right place on the ice for my position.

But as Spookini suggested, if you don't have skills you can always foil up and play like Gordy  ;)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:03:02 PM by freetobeme »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal