Author Topic: Fastest inflatable board objective measurements?  (Read 3619 times)

seant319

• Waikiki Status
    • AOL Instant Messenger - creatureripperST
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fastest inflatable board objective measurements?
« on: July 24, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »
I own the naish one 12'6 x 30" board and paddling hard on the board over a few miles on flat water lakes in <10 mph wind conditions I am able to average 5.0 to 5.1 mph or just barely breaking a 12 minute mile at about 80% max HR.

I am wondering if anyone has objective speed measures of other inflatable boards to compare.  such as - red paddle co or ULI 14 x 26' boards, or starboard 14'x 26' inflatable boards. Since we have different paddling abilities, you would have to compare to some other board you have owned or tried.

Basically I am interested in how much faster can it get in mph for average speed on an inflatable for the fastest ones out there, and which one is fastest based on GPS data?

Bycyclist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fastest inflatable board objective measurements?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:28:31 PM »
I was just thinking of doing the same thing for my two ISUPs because I realize subjective speed isn't the same as objective speed. I was just going to mark out a mile course though and run the measurements on my iPhone GPS / speed software with my HR no more than 150bpm. That way, same paddle, same effort, same distance, but on different ISUPs. It's relative measurement, but for my skill, etc..

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »
Subscribed. I wont be much help I am new to SUP. I am working my big butt off doing a steady 4.6 mph on a Blue Planet 12'6"x30"x6" . I can burst to 5.2 -5.4 mph on the gps. Given I weigh 270 that'll do for now.:-)

SUPoftheday

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:00:59 AM »
Great question. I averaged about 5.06 in a six-mile race last year using a ULI 12'6x32 tour. This year, I picked up the ULI 14x27.  I installed a slightly modified SUP Gladiator Hybrid that allows me to do about 10-12 strokes per side minimum.  The results are a bit freakish, at least for me. Granted, I'm way out of shape this year and but, still, my SpeedCoach registered over 6mph peaks several times during sprint work. I'll have to do some more testing to check my average speed over steady work.  So I think that the narrower board with longer waterline plus a superior fin gives you better glide, less paddle-switching and a super fun experience.  Honestly, I'd love to see my board in the hands of a more capable paddler to see what could happen.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:40:53 AM »
The same things that make a hard board potentially fast in flat water will also make an inflatable fast. Principally length, then width, and rocker. Weight, very slightly. But given that the rails of all inflatables are so similar and none have design features such as concaves etc, you can be pretty sure that one eg. 14'x26" board is going to be a very similar speed to another - at least if inflated to the same pressure. Any any 14x26 is going to be faster than a 12-6x30, with a decent paddler on board.

seant319

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »
can anyone compare average speeds (over a few miles) between the inflatables and other boards that they have? For example for the boards I have used under a similar level of exertion, my old 2011 or so 12'6 404 monster board was marginally slower than the naish one inflatable which is slightly wider.

I have a 12'6 blue planet board which interestingly has the same dimensions as the naish one - but it is slower with top average speeds of 4.8-4.9 versus the naish one at 5.0-5.1, this is with trying various fins, the latest being a 10" FCS carbon weed fin, with absolutely no difference in speed vs. the plastic fin.

with my starboard ACE 14x 25' I am able to average 5.5-5.6 mph in the same conditions. On the 2014 Starboard Allstar 14x25.5 I am able to average 5.7-5.8 mph.

I'm wondering if any of the available inflatable boards come anywhere close to matching a hard board of similar dimensions.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 01:52:37 PM »
Were you able to put a FCS Carbon fin on the Naish ONE? How??

seant319

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 02:21:20 PM »
Nope, the naish one has the slide in plastic fins, I put the FCS weed on my blue planet board which has a small base screw in fin box with a fixed fin plate.

I will say despite no change in speed down to the second, I was not dragging any weeds when I took it out of the water - which is a major problem with the plastic fin.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal