Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis 8'7" Stun Gun review  (Read 28535 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis 8'7" Stun Gun review
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 05:57:18 AM »
I am paddling with lunchbox. Any luck on pics of the bottom contours? We want to know the secret sauce that Jimmy uses! 8) 8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 10:05:16 AM »
I also have a 8'7'' Stun Gun for about a year. It is an amazing board with very good quality. Really fast but controllable. I had an Allwave before but have more fun with the Stun Gun. It is stable for a 110lt board.
Can definitely recommend it!

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 06:04:07 AM »
9'2" SG bottom photo's:

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 06:04:46 AM »
9'2" bottom photo's:

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 06:05:19 AM »
9'2" bottom photo's:

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 11:45:19 AM »
I'm 60 and weigh 160 lbs.  I had the 8'7 and 8'2 Stun Guns for over a year. I ended up selling the 8'7'' because for my weight and conditions, the 8'2'' is better for me. Yes, more challenging in less than ideal surface conditions but I've adapted pretty well. I ride it with a thruster set up - 6.5'' glass fin and V-foil Futures sides. Ridden it from knee high to way overhead. Works really well for me. Rocker ,foil , bottom and  rails are a great shape.  It appears to me as a blown up version of a custom short surfboard. Bullet proof construction too.  Very happy with mine.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 04:07:56 PM »
Looks great. Subtle flow to the tail. Thanks for putting them up!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 09:00:47 PM »
Yeah thanks Jarvis! Boy, seems there are quite a few happy owners.

Hard to tell, but it looks like a mono concave off the nose and down to the middle maybe flattening out in the middle and slight V off the tail? Looks like quite a bit of rocker as well...

I keep telling myself I don't need any other boards...but I do all of a sudden find myself wanting a JL...damn!

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 09:52:59 PM »
I'd love to have an even smaller than 8'2" version of the Stun Gun if they made them. Really nice shapes. And you guys all say the same for the construction. Bombproof. I'm jealous. Enjoy!

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
Have been using the JL Striker 8'11" in nice slow waves of Punta San Carlos, Baja for a number of years.  Am 6'2" and 175 lbs. and use the SUP occasionally in small and medium size mushy/slow waves, at the Bombora, the Point and the Chile Bowl.

For a few years have wanted to know how the Striker compares with other models.

1.  speed under paddle power?  it seems a bit slow to me at times
2.  maneuverability?  it pivots quite well off the tail and turns sharply
3.  stability?  not interested in a board with much less stabiity since I only ride a few times a month

Have considered trying a longboard design in order to catch waves earlier, with more glide.  Something like a laird 10 x 29, mahalo 10 footer, e.g.

I still struggle getting into surfing stance while paddling, but can balance quite well on the Striker.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 12:57:49 PM »
Aloha Bill,
I hooked you up with that JL Striker a few years back...there has been quite a bit of SUP design progression since then...
Check out my Hammer Series...my custom carbon 8'5" Hammer with a mast track would be a perfect upgrade for your SC venue and your exact application...it will solve all of the shortcomings of you existing JL...IOW, I'm recommending an 8'5" carbon Hammer WindSup...;-)

http://surfingsports.com/hammer.asp

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2014/07/hammer-sup-series.html

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2014/07/hammer-testimonials.html

Any questions...you know how to get a hold of me...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

johnnyfive

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 02:06:02 PM »
I am also a very proud and stoked owner of an 8'7" Stun Gun. Had it for about 2 years and have not rode anything better, yet!

Check out the Jimmy Lewis Australia sight.

http://www.jimmylewis.com.au/index.php/Boards/SUPs/Wave-Performance

More wave boards for 2015!!! Can't wait! Can't Wait!

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 02:24:31 PM »
Hi Bilekrub,
The Striker is a great board.  I've ridden and really enjoyed the Striker a great number of times. If your wondering how it stacks up against more recent boards, you need not worry, it is still a great board.  The striker is still a fast board down the line, I've ridden a lot of boards, including some being advertised on this thread, and the Striker is faster. So, I think your thought process is headed in the right direction, if you want more glide, a longer board will deliver, as long as it is reasonably light, and has a fast enough rocker line.  Your Striker has a fast rocker line, but has enough v in the tail to reduce the bumps, and change direction quickly. The 9'5" Striker is a bit faster than the 8'11", I haven't ridden any of the Laird boards, but they do look nice. Maybe a new thread asking for reviews of some of the Laird boards will stir up some good info. 

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 05:59:10 PM »
Good boards...Jimmy has a following...we sold a bunch of JL SUP's back in the day...I think more than anyone...bought them by the container, anyways...
I remember the 9'5" Striker being way faster than the 9'5" Naish Mana...but, that's prolly not saying much...;-)
I hear that they are bringing out carbons next year...
JL pricing seems to have really gone up since we sold them back in 2007 when they were at $1299...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2007/12/2008-jimmy-lewis-standup-paddleboards.html

Looks like now standard construction at $1779 is going price on eBay...wonder what the carbons are gonna retail for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-9-FOOT-5-INCH-JIMMY-LEWIS-STRIKER-STAND-UP-PADDLE-BOARD-/300669214792

FWIW, a made in the USA custom Hammer with carbon deck and rails is $200 less...all carbon is $100 less than standard JL epoxy...and, our production Australian Pine one sided boards are still $1299 with custom bamboo fins, pad, & high quality leash...

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:18:06 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

supthecreek

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 08:01:07 PM »
I was really enjoying the discussion, relative to the Stun Gun and other Jimmy Lewis products.... I'd like to see it continue.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal