Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis 8'7" Stun Gun review  (Read 28531 times)

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jimmy Lewis 8'7" Stun Gun review
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:41:22 PM »
Thought I'd share some thoughts on this board I've been riding lately. 
        I'm in my 40's, 185 lbs, prone surfing since 1989, stand up since 2008, and fit. I've owned and, or ridden a lot of different boards: Jimmy Lewis Striker 9'5", Fanatic All wave 8'10", Paddle Surf Hawaii 9'6", Fanatic Pro Wave 9'3",  Starboard Widepoint 8'10", Starboard widepoint 8'2", RRD 8'11", and 7'11", Angulo 9', Infinity Phoenix V2 7'11", and 7'9" and Corran Retro 7'8", Hobie 8'11" Raw, Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7", Jimmy Lewis 9'2" Stun Gun and more.
       The 8'7" Stun Gun is an amazing board. The first thing you notice when you pick it up is how light it is, some of that is the size of the board at 29.5 wide and 3 3/4  and 110 liters, it's a lean machine.  Some of the weight reduction is from the Jimmy Lewis construction, light, but super strong. I've had a couple of Jimmy Lewis boards and they really hold up.  Anyway, I've been riding the board for a bit here on Cape Hatteras and love it.  It's plenty fast without being out of control, and it is super slashy, but smooth. I got the board intending it to be for good, powerful waves, and thanks to Hurricane Arthur and some descent swell since, I've had a lot of opportunity to ride some well overhead, powerful waves, and I am blown away by the performance. It's the most agile, ripping board I've ridden to date, it's addictive. It is super controllable on a steep drop, and fast enough to keep you out of trouble, cut back, and find some trouble when you want it. It is also super athletic on the wave face making it easy to perform maneuvers, it feels like a short board.  What further impresses me, though, is it's performance in less than ideal waves. In the last couple of days, we've had waist high conditions, much of which had little power. I'd ordinarily jump on a Simmon's style sup to entertain myself in such conditions, but yesterday I swapped between several boards including a Simmon's style and had the most fun on the 8'7" Stun Gun.  I was surprised at how easily it caught the smaller waves and how much fun I had working the small faces on my way down the line.  I've really enjoyed this board from well overhead to waist high waves, if you ever get a chance to try one, give it a shot, I think you'll see what I mean.

supthecreek

Re: Jimmy Lewis 8'7" Stun Gun review
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 02:17:30 PM »
Hey Jarvis! Really good to hear your take on this line... the Stun Gun looks like a high performing board.
Since I have surfed with you, and seen your quiver: if you are impressed... I'm impressed ;D

Can you recall my 8'11 RAW enough to compare stability?

Only problem I have, is that I would have to ride the 9'7 x 31 ... and that's only 136 liters, hardly enough for my winter gear

Your post affirms my interest in JL's boards...
I am watching for the first peeps on the brand new Jimmy Lewis line... the "World Wide"  ... JL performance, but creekworthy at 8'9 x 31 @ 141L

Got any action shots?

Hope to see you at some break in the coming months :D

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 02:28:26 PM »
I've had a couple of Jimmy Lewis boards and really liked them.  Good to hear that a board which is fast on powerful waves also makes the most of mushier waves.  That has me really wanting one...

What kind of bottom contours does the 8'7 Stun Gun have?  What kind of fin set up have you been riding?

Thanks.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 03:44:43 PM »
Jarvissup - Great stuff. I think it very useful to list all of the boards you have ridden. Clearly the stun gun is not the second board you have ridden. How does it compare to the KWAD?
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 05:34:35 AM »
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 06:00:36 AM »
Hey Rick, and all,
Compared to your 8'11" Raw the 8'7" Stun Gun would be a bit less stable, the 9'2" Stun Gun would be more similar, and also rips, I've spent some time on one.  To answer some questions:  The bottom contour appears to be subtle concave to very subtle V in the tail. I'm sure a note to the guys at Jimmy Lewis would yield a more proper description.  In terms of design the thing immediately impresses is the thinness of the board, and that thinness allows for truly thin, performance rails. I think there has been a trend to go short....at all costs. I don't think short is cool unless it lends itself to some kind of performance advantage. The Stun Gun's are a couple/few inches longer than some of the other performance boards of similar volume, but that seems to distribute the volume allowing for a thin, super performance oriented shape. It also allows for a little more paddle speed when chasing a peak, or dropping in. Anyway, as requested, I'll include a couple of photo's. Sorry about the quality, we haven't a dedicated photog down here.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:08:30 AM »
Thanks for the pics, Looks like it has loose easy turn initiation; also see spray which is always a good thing. I agree with your thoughts on length vs. width vs. thickness. Similar to the short board evolutionary path!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 10:29:12 AM »
Thanks Ian...good to see you again ;D

Wetstuff.... seems like a good durability test !

joelcr

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 08:43:51 PM »
That's the best review I've seen on those 2 boards, and I've been interested in them both. Which one do you think will be better on good hurricane swells? Sometimes I feel that the extra length is an advantage getting into the bigger set waves. Strong offshore winds can sometimes blow around the shorter sups, and make the drops more difficult, or blow you out of the wave before you catch it.

But then again, I like the idea of of the quicker, more nimble 8'7". Plus, where did you get the boards? I'm in VB at the moment, and surf the OBX when its good. Plus CR ;D

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 09:16:10 PM »
Nice review!

Makes me really want to demo the 9'2". Just wondering if I would have any balancing issues considering I'm 6'4" and about 205lbs (without wetsuit). Would the board be underwater?

Any chance of getting some close ups of the bottom so I can check out the concaves and V?

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 11:48:36 PM »
Nice review!

Makes me really want to demo the 9'2". Just wondering if I would have any balancing issues considering I'm 6'4" and about 205lbs (without wetsuit). Would the board be underwater?

Any chance of getting some close ups of the bottom so I can check out the concaves and V?

The King's Board volume calculator would put you at advanced to expert at that weight for 124L board.

http://www.kingspaddlesports.com/boardvolume/
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 05:08:25 AM »
it's not just about volume, bottom contours and rail shape also have a lot to do with stability.

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 05:13:12 AM »
and width

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 05:58:20 AM »
I got the boards through Ocean Air Sports in Avon, NC. Brian(the owner) is the guy to talk to, he can order them and have them in less than a week.  The decision between 8'7" and 9'2" is a tough one.  I've really enjoyed the 9'2" in conditions that are a bit too windy and choppy. The 9'2" has more paddle speed, and is a bit bigger in every sense which equals success on some of those critical, steep drops. The 8'7" is smaller, lighter and more nimble, but not as stable in those nastier conditions. I've been spending more time on the 8'7", and have found it plenty stable for my 6'1"/185 status. I find that as you move to smaller boards you get used to them and then they feel stable. In deciding, think about what your buying the board to do. Is it part of a quiver, or your only board? If your buying it to ride bombers in offshore winds, and your a bit heavier then the 9'2" might be your board. If your buying it to rip on slightly better conditions and to push yourself then the 8'7" might be the call. Lunchbox, if your in the area send me a pm, you can demo my 9'2", but I think you'll find it plenty stable for your 6'4"/205 build.    Ian

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 06:29:28 AM »
Another option if stability is a concern is the Jimmy Lewis Kwad.  I haven't spent a lot of time on the Kwads, but I have jumped back and forth from an 8'7" Stun Gun to and 8'7" Kwad and the Kwad is more stable by comparison. Even though the Kwad is .5" narrower (SG 29.5/ Kwad 29) The Shape/ outline of the Kwad is a more stable, and the Kwad is 115 liters to the Stun Gun's 110.  The Kwad is certainly a more stable shape designed to ride from onshore mush to head high bombers. Might be a good intermediate step down onto a small, lower volume ripper.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal