Author Topic: Paddle shaft flex  (Read 1700 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Paddle shaft flex
« on: July 23, 2014, 07:54:47 AM »

I was wondering about the flex of the Ke Nalu shafts as compared to what I am currently using. Specifically the difference between the Elite 90 and the xTufS.

I know, and am happy with, the flex of my Quickblade SSI36 (90 sq in blade size). Which Ke Nale shaft would come close in feel?

I think I read some explanation that the xTuf has a different nature of flex to the Elite. I guess I'd prefer a flex which I can load as much as I can and springs back crisply. Boing! Which is what I think my Quickblade shaft is doing.

Thread name is purposely vague so more shaft flex discussion can come here.

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
Re: Paddle shaft flex
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 08:20:59 AM »
I think you should go to the 90% flex. The Kenalu shaft is all ready a little softer than the bigger Werner and QB shafts. I use the 100% but also use the smallest blade.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:37:43 AM »
I have the 90 flex and Xstuff(s) with a Ho'Oloa blade and I cant really tell them apart.  I am not sensitive enough.  I am sure others are.  I use the 90 cause it is lighter.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:50:10 AM »
Probably the closest in flex characteristic to the Ke-Nalu  Xtuf  is a QB Elite tapered shaft. My QB Elite shaft/ non-tapered (with a 110 blade) is about a 1/16" larger in diameter than my Ke-Nalu Xtuf shaft (with a Maliko 95 blade), but it is a noticeable difference. I've been racing with the Xtuf shaft for about a year now, and I like it so much better, in so many ways over my QB. I'm definitely faster and encounter less shoulder fatigue with the more flexible shaft. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal