Author Topic: Fastest sailing WindSUP?  (Read 40744 times)

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fastest sailing WindSUP?
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 02:35:02 PM »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2015, 03:16:35 PM »
hmmmmm...;-)

I thought that I had posted a fairly lengthy reply to Alex on this thread a few days ago...must have timed out...

Do you plan to built yourself a Mallet windsup in the near future?

It actually started with a response to Alex by saying to not give my secret away...and, that the rocker line numbers won't be disclosed online...
Mast track on a Mallet and all bets are off...;-)

I also contrasted the Mallet design with kite race boards and Formula windsurf (FW) boards...super wide tails...
Why wide tails? Simply because they are faster to plane!
Just a matter of control...and, we know a hella lot more about fins and their placement on wide boards now than we ever have...;-)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:19:34 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2015, 09:34:09 AM »
Hi Warren,
pitty, your detailed answer has gone, i highly appreciate your thoughts on this.
But exactly my thoughts on board designs, with designs like the Mallet SUP meets Windsurfing / Kiting, whereas the classic SUP Shapes with larger rockers are much more on the surfboard roots, like the rockers of the first windsurfboards 30 years ago, that didn't plane.

Your pics could be complemented with pictures of the Fanatic Stubby and the JP Slate or other Tomo SUPS, at least regarding concept and outline, but (i'm repetitive here) regarding rocker i don't know.

What makes me also think is your statement about volume in the Mallet thread, that the small volumes of the Tomo shapes can't defy physics, Archimedes is Archimedes as Colas said in the Aussie forum. I also think you need some volume, also or especially for windsuping in non planing conditions, it helps to get you out over the impact zone or for the occasional uphaul start in there.
Your Mallet and also the Simsups tend to have more volume than the Tomo concepts, i think this is relevant in choosing the shape concept for a "perfect" windsup.

Waiting for your first ride impressions on your Mallet windsup.
Do you also consider the Foil thing? Change Centerbox to Tuttle should be easy with your custom building.

Alex

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2015, 05:37:25 PM »
Sealion XL, 50 mm rocker, no flat area !!
I wonder how the Sealion 83 compares.   I was intrigued by it,  knowing where I am at with my XL and wondering about how much improvement by going smaller. 

Thanks for the opinions on the Quatro 110 quad,  I have heard nothing but praise about it.   It's tough to be on the east coast usa.   Unfortunately I would need to go to Maui to demo a few of these different boards.   Will be on OBX in a few weeks,  might get a chance to demo something down there.

With the rate of warming up around here,  I might be sailing and paddling in New England by the time I return from NC.

Cheers,  JP

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2015, 12:41:46 PM »
Hi Warren,
pitty, your detailed answer has gone, i highly appreciate your thoughts on this.
But exactly my thoughts on board designs, with designs like the Mallet SUP meets Windsurfing / Kiting, whereas the classic SUP Shapes with larger rockers are much more on the surfboard roots, like the rockers of the first windsurfboards 30 years ago, that didn't plane.

Your pics could be complemented with pictures of the Fanatic Stubby and the JP Slate or other Tomo SUPS, at least regarding concept and outline, but (i'm repetitive here) regarding rocker i don't know.

What makes me also think is your statement about volume in the Mallet thread, that the small volumes of the Tomo shapes can't defy physics, Archimedes is Archimedes as Colas said in the Aussie forum. I also think you need some volume, also or especially for windsuping in non planing conditions, it helps to get you out over the impact zone or for the occasional uphaul start in there.
Your Mallet and also the Simsups tend to have more volume than the Tomo concepts, i think this is relevant in choosing the shape concept for a "perfect" windsup.

Waiting for your first ride impressions on your Mallet windsup.
Do you also consider the Foil thing? Change Centerbox to Tuttle should be easy with your custom building.

Alex

Aloha Alex,
I concur...volume is your friend...;-)

You can get a nice view of the rocker and effective waterline of the 7'6" Mallet in pics below where it's nicely trimming on the wave face...Al is 190#...
This board is so fast in fun hollow beach break...amazing acceleration when you need it...

More pics in a responsive light box image viewer here:

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2015/03/76-mallet-sup.html

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

flathead

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2015, 11:34:30 PM »
Gone ahead and ordered the Exocet Windsup 11 8 a couple of weeks ago. Supplier says it will be the latest with some minor improvements and a delay is to be expected due to this. Interested to see what that might be - improved dagger board skirt maybe...could be nothing. Interested in any others that have this board that might like to share their experiences.

James do you have any more video of it sailing clips of this board. http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.sg/2012/10/got-new-tractor-wheeeooo-doggies.html

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2015, 04:05:15 AM »
That'd be my guess.  Better daggerboard gasket that doesn't squirt water.
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »
James do you have any more video of it sailing clips of this board. http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.sg/2012/10/got-new-tractor-wheeeooo-doggies.html

Yes. Here's one where I'm sailing it in small waves and sideshore wind with a 6.8 sail and centered footstraps.

Here's one where I'm sailing in small waves and side-offshore wind.

14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

flathead

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2015, 01:38:02 AM »
Thanks James, btw nice little duck jibe on the smaller board in the last vid. Got the news my Windsup 11 8 is on the way - should be here in a week. Looking forward to comparing it to the Fanatic 11 6 Fly that I currently sail.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2015, 12:47:59 PM »
Had a killer Hammer WindSUP sesh yesterday with the 5.8m2 Rasta Freak...even the skinniest light air kiter on a 10m2 gave it a go and got it planing...that was a first for him with a WindSUP...he's tried a bunch, too...mine had too much volume for him...but, I will most likely be building him something in the 6' range...

Also, had a couple of days of perfect 5.0m2 sideoff before it went ballistic 3.0m2 each of the days...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2015/04/big-sur-windsurfing.html

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

flathead

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2015, 07:18:58 AM »
New Windsup arrive today - took it for a spin in some slop and gusty weather - handled it like a boss!

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2015, 12:38:21 PM »
Fun looking board...

Here is a vid clip from a recent 5.8m2 day on the 8’11″ Hammer WindSUP from three different points of view…beach cam…mast mount…& mouth mount…

https://youtu.be/eY0CVCSmKYY

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2015, 05:16:13 AM »
Jpeter, I have the 110 L Quattro Quad and it replaced my RRD 8'5 WasSUP. The WasSup was better for climbing over white water in 10 mph winds, but if the wind is 12-14 mph or I'm slogging at a spot with a decent channel the 110 L Quattro is far superior. Once I'm on a wave and my feet in the straps the apparent wind takes over and I can even pull off aerials in 10-12 mph. I demoed one of the very first versions of the Goya 104 about 6 years ago and at the time (coming from a fast planing FSW) wasn't impressed. But I've heard they made changes to the Goya in 2013 or 2014 that made it much livelier.

Philn - I got the Quattro Quad 110 and have been putting it thru the paces.  What has really surprised me is how good it feels when it gets windy.   I have used it from the low end of the 5.7 to high end of the 4.7.   It just doesn't feel like a 110L board.   A fellow cape cod sailor has this board and thinks it's super slow/draggy.   Maybe they changed it or just footstrap placement but it feels good to me.   Sailed it sideshore and side/on so far.   Put a set of Makani mini weed fins on it to deal with our local conditions.

JP

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »
Well I'm not sure it could be used as a SUP but Starboard is certainly not giving up on windsurfing. Here is a full planing inflatable sailboard;

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2lg54v_la-premiere-planche-windsurf-freeride-gonflable-full-planing_sport

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal