Author Topic: ULI vs Starboard Astro 12'6 race board  (Read 5466 times)

LaughingGrrrl

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
ULI vs Starboard Astro 12'6 race board
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and am looking for comments about the ULI and Starboard Astro 12'6 race boards. I currently paddle an Amundson 12'6 TR-2. I can do pretty much anything I want, within my own abilities, on the Amundson and just want the inflatable for ease of transport when it wouldn't work to take the other. I've narrowed down my choices to the ULI or Starboard 12'6 race boards and wonder if anyone has been on both to compare. I absolutely love the idea of the lower weight on the Starboard (21.5#), but either would be an improvement over my Amundson (32.5#). I've read that the Starboard is also super fast for an inflatable. On the other hand, though the ULI is heavier (27.4#), it has the Wiki Rail that seems to confer some benefits not to be had by boards without it (claims to reduce drag and enhance stability). Both boards are 6" thick. The Starboard is 26" wide, and the ULI is 27" wide. I haven't seen anything negative written about either.

I'm really comfortable on my Amundson on lakes as well as open ocean and have even done some very light surfing on it--not the best choice, I know, but I had to try! I'm thinking either of these inflatables should serve me at least as well as the Amundson. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Re: ULI vs Starboard Astro 12'6 race board
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:22:21 AM »
Hi LaughingGrrrl, I don't have an opinion on either board you mention but wanted to see if you've had a look at the Red Paddle Co 12'6" Race. It might be a good board to consider also. There is also the Elite 12'6" which is only 26" wide which you may want to consider too.

Review of the 12'6" Race: http://greenwatersports.com/2782/review-of-the-red-paddle-co-12-6-race-inflatable-racing-sup

Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

blong5150

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 12:21:03 PM »
Hey Green Water - The 2013 Red Paddle Race - Is the difference the decking AND the lack of tiedowns on the 2013?

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:18:58 PM »
Hi,

Not sure of your size, but word has it that ULI is now making custom inflatables.  Give them a call.

The newer ULI boards are all double skin which makes them stronger and stiffer.  It does add weight but the trade off is really worth it. The other thing you want to consider is the shape and rocker of the board.  Uli can adjust the rocker depending on what you want to do with the board.  My ULI is almost flat so I can get all 12'6" length.  I have the Wiki rail installed on my ULI.  I was able to ride my ULI with and without the wiki rail; I would not paddle an inflatable without one.  The wiki really helps at speed and also with stability (especially when you are back on the tail). 

Have fun out there!  Jill

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 05:33:15 PM »
Hi blong5150, correct. 2014 race boards have tie downs. The deck grip is flat and 1 section for 2014. 2013 was grooved and split in 4 sections (I think). Both as comfy as each other just a different feeling under foot.

Julian
Julian
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

LaughingGrrrl

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:07:55 PM »
Thanks for the link to the review of the Red Paddle Co board, Julian! What I wouldn't give to try out all three boards side-by-side. Each of them seems to stand out in one area or another. Looks like my decision just got harder instead of easier. :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:09:57 PM by LaughingGrrrl »

LaughingGrrrl

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:20:21 PM »
Jill, I'm really interested in the Wiki rail on the ULI and like the fact that you had the opportunity to ride your board both without and with it. Sounds like your experience goes along with what it's purported to do. I'm considering ULI's current special edition race board (12'6, 6" thick, 27" wide, 27.4 lbs) that appears to come standard with the Wiki rail. I'm curious about your comments that they can customize the rocker and will have to look into that. Thanks for your reply!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 08:47:14 AM »
No problem LaughingGrrrl, let me know if you have any questions.
Julian

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »
IMO the 12.6 Starboard is much stiffer than the ULI plus it has about 30-40% more volume because its a 6 inch thick board it also has a double skin, biaxial composite stringer, and weights only 22 lbs.  They are hard to find because they have been so popular but you might Try Big Winds, Easy Rider, or Walk on Water in Florida if your shopping in the USA.  The Wiki Rail can be added to any Inflatable BTW.
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 07:11:54 AM »
I concur with RIVER about Starboard Plus we can help yu with SB products and offer a significant ZONER Discount

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 07:04:49 PM »
ULI is a low-production boutique brand without a dealer network and the majority of what they produce are custom SUPs.  They can make a 12'6" in any width from +/- 24" to 32"+ wide in thicknesses of 4", 5" and 6".  They are all double-skin boards with Kevlar stringers and well known for their stiffness qualities, and can handle pressures above 20 psi.  Wiki rail is an patented ULI design, and you can have one on a 12'6" but I personally prefer that option for surfing only.  They have great customer service too and a US location that you can visit for any repairs, purchases or upgrades.  If you're not nearby you can always ship your board.  You really need to try one out alongside the competition (and their pumps) before you buy. 

Photo is of some of the race boards they made for their team riders between 2008 - 2012.         
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

Wendy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »
...word has it that ULI is now making custom inflatables.  Give them a call.

Ooh, I'm going to have to call them again.  Tried before but didn't get a "yes" on any size other than what they had on the website.  I'd still like to find something narrower (29" or less) and thinner (4") that would be fun to paddle.  Okay, back to the OP's thread, but thanks for the tip.

Wendy

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 10:58:38 PM »
Up until a few weeks ago were busy filling some large orders for their international distributors and couldn't take any custom orders but from what I was told this week they are caught up now. 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal