Author Topic: Soft lashing points?  (Read 2523 times)

Squoose

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Soft lashing points?
« on: July 21, 2014, 02:25:37 PM »
Hi all,

Rather new here and new to SUP, as well.  Just bought an NSP Elements 11' about a month ago and have been paddling my butt off on flat water lakes and rivers.  Hoping to make my first attempts at surfing when I head to the beach at the end of August.

I am in a quandry trying to figure out how I want to create lashing points on my board.  I would like to fish off of it (at least two points behind where I stand) and put four points on the front deck to be able to lash a PFD/anything else down when I go for a casual paddle.  At the same time, I want to be able to surf on it.

My connundrum:  Would EZ Plugs be a bad idea on a surf board?  WHEN I fall on them am I going to get beat up too bad?  How about when I jump back onto the board?  I have this feeling that I just wouldn't want hard points on the board.

So I have weighed options.  I took a look at the "Stic-It" carbon fibre dots with loops, but they cost a small fortune.  I like the looks of the NSI plates with spectra loops, but am wondering if they will rub the wrong way, too?

My biggest question is this:  Has anyone done a DIY lashing system?  Definitely don't want to drill out my board.  But I can't imagine it would be too difficult to make something like the NSI plates or "Stic-It" dots.  Anybody tried?

I appreciate your help.  It is nice to see a forum where helping, rather than criticizing, is the standard.  Y'all are great!

Thanks,
Royce

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Soft lashing points?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
EZ Plug will do if you are planning on surfing waves with moderate energy.  The plug will not hold against bigger waves with strong energy, being 11' and probably 20+ pounds.

Unless you are a big guy, you will be dragged.  I'm 150 lbs and do get dragged on waist to shoulder waves when surfing the 11'2 cruiser board.

The four-plug points on the front 1/3 of the board will not be a problem when getting back onto the board after falling.

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:49:27 PM »
I used two of the SurfCo EZ Plugs for the tail handle on the 8'10 Blair and so far the plugs are holding up well.  However, when the waves are big (head high plus) I don't go any where near the tail handle ... fear of a separated shoulder, elbow, loosing finger(s), etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:29:47 PM »
I wouldn't put anything on the rear if you plan to surf it. EZ plugs are fine for the front unless you plan on some noseriding but I'm wishing I went for the NSI with the spectra on my 12-6. EZ are kinda ugly. You might try using some good suction cup mounts if the intent for the rear is a cooler/seat/tackle box. I assume you won't be going out in difficult conditions for fishing so they'll hold fine and if one should come loose just stick it back on.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:32:17 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Squoose

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 07:27:15 PM »
Thanks for the insight!  The last thing I want is to fall on one of my lashing points and end up with some gnarly strawberry or worse. 

Anything on the rear of the board will definitely be soft (NSI or the like).  Would suction cups hold to the beginning of the rail curve?  The deck pad on my NSP goes almost to the edge of the rail, leaving no flat surface to put a suction cup. 

I am leaning toward the NSI's up front, but would love to know of any DIY tries.  I am a fishing kayak guy, too, and always love doing things the hard way (but cheaper way?).  At least that's what I tell myself.

I imagine a good suction cup system would work just fine for my needs up front, too.  Bought some cheap cups from a craft store and they wouldn't hold.  I reckon I could go for something a little stronger.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 05:18:04 AM »
On two different boards, I have traced the mat around the EZplug, cut the mat out and attached.  They hold really well. And they are 1/2 the height because they are in the mat. 

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 06:10:27 AM »
DJ brought these here a while back and I thought they were very cool.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,22805.0.html

The NSI ones with the loop are amazing. I have them on a board that is in it's 5th summer and still as strong as the day I put them on.

These are also worth considering.
http://www.seasucker.com/product-category/board-kayak/

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest