Author Topic: Do Sharks Attack Us?  (Read 73976 times)

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Do Sharks Attack Us?
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »
Living in the northeast with the explosion in the seal population, and now the great whites showing up all along the Massachusetts coast, has me wondering how long before I cross paths with one. I kayak and sup in places where I am usually seeing seals, hopefully I'll keep my cool if I see a shark, but I haven't thought about how to react other than trying to not freak out. I've seen Orcas while kayaking in Alaska, and while knowing they largely ignore humans, was still somewhat spooked by the speed and intensity of getting passed by a few out on the water. Wouldn't want to be in the water with those big dogs, let alone something that is an ambush predator and has to take an exploratory bite to figure out I'm not supposed to be on the menu. So it's interesting to get the perspective of folks who have been around the great whites regularly,and learn more about dealing with them, which hopefully I won't have to up close (knock on wood.) Would be cool to see one, just from a larger boat. I guess I'll start asking permission before getting in the water.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:41:47 PM by johnysmoke »
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2015, 10:01:21 PM »
Okay seriously, what's the purpose of this thread?  (And the many other like ones that have come before this)
Is there anything here that we don't already know?
Are we going to say "don't go out there, they are everywhere"?  We already know they are everywhere.
Are we going to share shark stories just to freak everyone out?  I don't get it, what's the point?
Some of us have been around sharks as long as we've been in the ocean.  Okay, I'm one of those, but still.
Some of us have never been the ocean, but they might need to know, know what?  That sharks don't prefer SUP'ers?  Sorry, we all taste the same, proners may be a little tougher, but basically the taste is the same, fish are better though, a shark told me that one time.
Like I alluded to several pages ago, just be glad you made it to the beach w/o getting into a car accident, and for heaven's sake, just know you are sharing the ocean with a lot of scary marine animals, as well as cute ones, sharks may get all the glory, but we get all the waves, the odds are in our favor.
It goes with the package.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:11:48 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2015, 10:04:49 PM »
Personally I'm scared of Va'na, and that's about it. Okay, sometimes whales.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2015, 10:07:40 PM »

I live in Kauai, and the water is perfectly safe here. (apologies to Beth)

She sure is a cute little bugger.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2015, 10:18:26 PM »
She's preggers now, looks quite a bit different.
It takes a quiver to do that.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2015, 10:25:24 PM »
I've stayed away from this thread because of the obvious answer to the question in the title.
10 pages later the answer is still obvious...

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2015, 10:56:10 PM »
Too bad this wasn't set up as a poll.

Soooo....
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,26807.msg277539.html#msg277539

People can come back here for commenting.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2015, 09:53:13 AM »

Me too. First time I ever surfed at L'poko, everyone told me: "Fall flat, don't put your feet down, don't put your hands down, don't stand up on the bottom, swim for your board".

Went out fell in and immediately stuffed my foot into a hole full of Va'na. Rolled over on my belly on board, prone paddled outside with a foot that looked like a porcupine and spent 20 minutes getting most of them out.

The fear is real.
Make paddleboarding great again!

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2015, 02:40:03 PM »
Hah, hah, yeah and where the tiger took her arm was one of my favorite spots on Kauai - Tunnels. Surprisingly, I never saw sharks there but you don't see on a surfboard unless they surface. It's obvious that Tunnels shallow reef waaaaay offshore dropping into super deep water is a prime spot for them so I wasn't too surprised when I heard about Beth Hamilton. My other favorite spot was Pakala's but I never saw sharks there cuz the water was too murky. The owner of the land at Pakala's used to throw the blood and guts of the cows he butchered into the river to attract sharks because he hated us surfers for crossing his land to get to the beach.  :-\

I can't speak for Pono, but I never saw sharks when I lived on Kauai (although I know they were there) but I had three close encounters while living on Maui.

I think I saw Ron's new friend today at the Cove. I was playing in the baby waves. Ron was there for a while. I was about to go in when I saw some heavy swirls in the water outside. Paddled out to see. I didn't get close enough to say for sure, but it was sumpin' big. Too long for a Manta.

Hey Pono..what's the sharkiest HI island and why? Species?
I live in Kauai, and the water is perfectly safe here. (apologies to Beth)
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2015, 02:42:54 PM »
YES, because you'll die if you go out there! (And then there will be more waves for the rest of us.)

Okay seriously, what's the purpose of this thread?  (And the many other like ones that have come before this)
Is there anything here that we don't already know?
Are we going to say "don't go out there, they are everywhere"?  We already know they are everywhere.
Are we going to share shark stories just to freak everyone out?  I don't get it, what's the point?
Some of us have been around sharks as long as we've been in the ocean.  Okay, I'm one of those, but still.
Some of us have never been the ocean, but they might need to know, know what?  That sharks don't prefer SUP'ers?  Sorry, we all taste the same, proners may be a little tougher, but basically the taste is the same, fish are better though, a shark told me that one time.
Like I alluded to several pages ago, just be glad you made it to the beach w/o getting into a car accident, and for heaven's sake, just know you are sharing the ocean with a lot of scary marine animals, as well as cute ones, sharks may get all the glory, but we get all the waves, the odds are in our favor.
It goes with the package.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2015, 03:02:44 PM »
The one tiger I actually saw was the one I windsurfed over at Kuau. I was heading out and it was heading in. I figured it was probably about 12 feet. I could see its stripes. I was powered up so wasn't concerned and nothing could have gotten me out of the water that day because it was an epic west swell with perfect mast high waves. Another shark was when I was surfing at Olowalu. (A woman was killed by a big tiger in that area a little after that.) I could see it in the next wave outside. It was too far away so I couldn't tell what kind of shark it was but since it was swimming directly straight towards me in the wave, I snagged the wave in front of it and went in. (Hey, I had already been surfing for a couple hours and was done anyway. :P) The other was a feeding frenzy of a dead turtle at Kaua in shallow water just west of the channel. I didn't see the frenzy myself so don't know if tigers were involved. I heard sharks had been seen before I got in the water but I didn't know until after I came in at dark that it was a frenzy. Good thing I didn't know there was a frenzy before I went out because it turned out to be a memorable winter session with only 4 of us windsurfing perfect head high waves in light side-offs. Ignorance is bliss. Another time was when I was surfing Paia Bay and a big tiger had been spotted. I didn't see it though.

I can't speak for Pono, but I never saw sharks when I lived on Kauai (although I know they were there) but I had three close encounters while living on Maui.

I think I saw Ron's new friend today at the Cove. I was playing in the baby waves. Ron was there for a while. I was about to go in when I saw some heavy swirls in the water outside. Paddled out to see. I didn't get close enough to say for sure, but it was sumpin' big. Too long for a Manta.

Hey Pono..what's the sharkiest HI island and why? Species?

Tigers?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:04:57 PM by magentawave »

Philn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2015, 12:13:16 PM »
magentawave, did you windsurf on Kauai too, or just Maui?

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2015, 04:44:01 PM »
Sadness reigns. Thing is, your pulse is loud and clear and your fear is misdirected. One day in the not so distant future, a whale is going to bless you with an experience, an extended moment such that (remember that coconut that once barely missed you) you'll cry with joy as that toothy smile sets you free...

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2015, 06:02:15 AM »
Might be worth a Bite...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2015, 06:52:17 AM »
Lol, anytime my friend, anytime.
And all the while Bobby Darin's classic song shall course thru my head -

"One, two, three, four, two, two, three, four

Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
And it shows them pearly white
Just a jackknife has old MacHeath, babe?
And he keeps it out of sight

You know when that shark bites with his teeth, babe
Scarlet billows start to spread
Fancy gloves, though wears old MacHeath, babe
So there's never, never a trace of red"...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal