Author Topic: Another crappy paddle...  (Read 15772 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Another crappy paddle...
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
when Lane and I started Ke Nalu the division of labor was that I was marketing, and he was design and quality control.  When I sold Ke Nalu to him I told him "don't screw with the website, find someone who understands wordpress to help you maintain it, but don't screw with it". I didn't take the time I should have to explain that the site had 19,600 organic incoming links of which 95% were relevant and valuable and that it had a huge base of content that was equally valuable. I also didn't explain that it would be easy to build on what was there to make the strategy of Ke Nalu's modularity clear to potential customers.

Unfortunately he found some local guy that "everyone uses" who "didn't like wordpress" so the guy did a rip and replace, hosing all that value and building the pathetic mess that the site is today. No organization, rife with misspellings and errors. It's just a mess. He needs to shoot that guy (literally) and find someone who actually has a clue how a modern site works.

Unfortunately there's no path back, and the things that Lane actually understands (design and composite construction) have continued to improve. I think the newest paddles are brilliant design. Breakthroughs, that people will be arguing over for years. But the marketing and strategy leave a lot to be desired. It's a testament to how good the paddles are that they have gained such a cult-like following. It's certainly not marketing fluff. because there just isn't any fluff.

the simple fact that Giant doesn't see that value of the component approach is testament to how badly the site explains that. You can have a blade and length to fit any use and only buy one paddle. You can start with a inexpensive plastic blade thats perfect for whitewater, rocky conditions, and clueless friends and then add whatever fiberglass or carbon blades you choose. If you break something out of warrantee you replace only the broken bit. It's the lowest cost of ownership possible, and not many people understand that.

Most people wind up with three or four paddles, but I (who has lots of Ke Nalu's) routinely use only two shafts and three blades to make six different blade/shaft combos and infinite length choices. My paddles get taken apart and reconfigured all the time. My new Konihi blade has been on both shafts and I've tested seven different lengths--and I don't use the adjustable converter, just the extended ergo-t.

Even the adjustable bit is an option you can put on and then take off as you choose.

Yes, it's confusing--it needs to be explained. But anyone who has one figures all that out very quickly.
Just take a little taste of this kool-aide Giant.  Won't hurt a bit.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP407

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 06:10:51 PM »
I found it pretty simple. Shaft, blade, and grip choice. Didn't make my head explode, but maybe I was lucky. Assembly was very easy. Post-assembly customization is simple.

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 11:15:18 PM »
I paddled a local ultra lite paddle that flutters like crazy. The maker said it works best in the power zone upright and the flutter could be caused by reaching to much. He is from the outrigger world and can fly at speed with his own paddle. I finally tried the new winged Kenalu and its much better on flat water with no flutter what so ever. The noise went away as I was able to bury my blade further into the water from a hollowed deck.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 12:38:13 AM »
I don't like the Werner handles. They make my eyebrows flutter.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2014, 12:49:56 PM »
Werner makes a fine paddle but their policies regarding parts (the handle) are just plain stupid. I managed to shear off the plastic handle right at the shaft while surfing. I emailed Werner with pictures and a request to purchase a new handle. Sorry, but for liability reasons they would not sell me a handle. . The handle snapping at the joint is not a liability issue but selling me a replacement is????? They could replace the handle if I shipped them the paddle for about $70. I waited about a month for the local dealer to order the part for me. I'm pretty sure Werner are the only ones that have this policy. They must think they are the Apple of paddles.

Same problem here, snapped right at the joint in the middle of the 1st CCBC, just cruising and the handle came off in my hand. I'm pretty sure they've fixed the issue since then. How long ago did that happen to you?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 03:55:51 PM »
Stoneaxe my handle broke in April of this year. Identical failure to yours. It was an adjustable Nitro that is a couple of years old. I went with their carbon handle instead of the plastic to avoid a similar fate in the future.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2014, 08:09:50 PM »
Yeah....the plastics were a problem. If I remember correctly they were supposed to have solved the breakage problem of carbon handles... ???

I'm always surprised when I hear that a dealer is afraid to carry Ke Nalus. My experience is that all you would need to do is have some demo paddles with the adjustable collars. A mix of shafts, a mix of blades. Then they sell themselves. I'd say probably 75-80% of the people that I've had demo them now paddle Ke Nalu.

I started reping Ke Nalu because it sounded like a fun way to make a little extra money and maybe build a small business I could shift to in retirement. I forgot about my experience as an ambassador for Starboard back in the beginning. It caused a bias in my opinion, its supposed to, part of the deal. I didn't like the feel of it. I really like Starboards gear but I didn't want to continue even though it was a big $ saver for me, so I stopped. I could offer my opinion without bias again.
Fast forward to reping Ke Nalu.....this time it's even more serious, starting a business, hottest paddles on the planet...it was fun. Then I started feeling it again. I'm not in this for the $. I don't want my opinion biased by anything and I don't want my involvement with the CCBC to be anything other than a reflection of my passion. So I stopped that too. When I make a recommendation to someone I want them to know that it comes from the heart not from my hip pocket.

I tell people to demo, it's really the ONLY way for someone to know. I'll tell you this Giant....if you like Werners, then I bet there is probably better than a 90% chance you'll like a Ke Nalu better. We've already established you like a dihedral, now its just a question of refinement and I don't think there is even a close comparison. Then again though, this is ALL personal, only a demo will tell.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal