Author Topic: It's On In The Gorge  (Read 82791 times)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: It's On In The Gorge
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2015, 08:02:59 PM »

Cove, saw your truck at Viento.  All the stickers are still on it!
JP

Man, you know how to hurt a guy! I miss the big, noisy, ultimate-trailer-hauling Dodge. But, if it was at Viento, that means Josh is using it for shuttling OC1 downwinders! So, that makes me  ;D

I think once you get past split rocks, you are in a lot less current, until you go outside of Wells Island. But, once you angle back towards the Hook, and pass the top of it, you're outta da worst of it. Congrats on the first d/w of ought-15! You seem to be developing a small paddling problem. Be careful, look where I ended up. And, I'm truckless.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2015, 08:36:20 PM »
I don't have a problem. I can quit at any time. Really. I can. Quit.
At least I still have a truck.  Got to break it in today on its first ever shuttle run.  No straps.  Loading boards is just like throwing frozen pizza in the oven!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2015, 08:52:05 PM »
Whose boards? What is the one on the floor?? Looks like you could be living in your van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2015, 09:07:58 PM »
If I keep buying boards, I will be living in my van!  Shuttled with Karen and Hannah.  That's Hanna's new 12'6" Javelin on the floor.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2015, 09:32:56 PM »
Good to know it's going already. I'll be back about May 4. I have a lot of stuff to take care of for the first few weeks--physical for my racing (car) license, getting my knee shot up. financial crap, getting my race car ready for the season--but if there's a good downwinder to be had I'm in.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2015, 10:12:18 PM »
Cool Pono.  Getting two feet of titanium yanked out of my tibia next week, but should be good to go by May. 

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2015, 07:54:23 PM »
Wow, it was on today.  Peak gust at the Event Site was 38mph and it was quite a bit windier than that from Viento to Mitchell point. At one point I crashed and looked up as my Javelin LE was pirouetting in the air at the end of the leash at about a 45 degree angle.  Glad it didn't hit me.  The current is still pretty strong and the water still at 55f, so pretty tiring run after getting thrown off a dozen times.  Huge wind hole from Split Rock to Wells, then it picked up again. Typical spring time frontal wind.
Interesting side note is that a couple Hawaiian looking and sounding dudes were launching OC-1's into the wind at the Event Site when we finished.  Their boats were all decked out in race numbers and stickers.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:09:46 PM by JP4 »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2015, 08:16:21 PM »
Awesome! PB should be home in HR by now. Problem is, we sent him off the island barely held together with gristle and a few pieces of sinew. BTW, don't let him get behind you if he's in a feisty mood, he just might ram you. I think he'll calm down some now that he's off this rock. I thought he might kill a tourist if he had to traverse Paia one more day at rush hour, which, admittedly, is like 6 hours long.

It is blowing here too. Water temp is cool at around 78 but it's not too bad unless you're in it for a couple of hours. We didn't have 38 mph wind though. Low to mid 20's today but a really nice, mellow Maliko run. Another race coming up this Saturday, could be a nice downwindah!

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2015, 10:44:26 PM »
What is the status of the parking and take out spot in HR, now that Nichols is under construction? Waterfront Park? The hook?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2015, 12:47:12 AM »
Back in the hood, just got here. Off to the knee doc in the morning, and I have a bunch of other stuff to take care of, but I'll dust off the Bullet before the weekend.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2015, 12:47:20 AM »
You used to be able to park free at the Event Site until Memorial Day. It's an okay place to come in. Waterfront Park has free parking but it might be a ways away on a warm, windy day. I'm only chiming in because I miss the place and paddling with all you guys. Hope you get some fun downwinders coming up!

That first fall in the cold water is gonna be a shocker Bill!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:49:24 AM by covesurfer »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2015, 12:52:24 AM »
It always is. I don't plan on seeing my nuts until July.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2015, 01:06:50 AM »
That's not what I'd call a 'pretty picture' under any conceivable circumstances.... ;D

Missed you on Maliko today. About as flat a day as I can remember out there. With 20-25 easterlies but minimal windswell, just chop. Fun, gorge-like glides. But with enough wackiness that you knew it was still Maliko. I had a fast time but I fell 5x. FIVE TIMES. Sheesh. I hope I can learn to stay upright before Paddle Imua.

Oh, and PS: Southbay is a DAD!

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2015, 06:43:32 AM »
What is the status of the parking and take out spot in HR, now that Nichols is under construction? Waterfront Park? The hook?
Event Site is what we've been using.  The gravel Luhr Jensen lot at Waterfront would be my second choice.
I've heard rumors there might be a takeout at Nichols built down by the gas station, but I haven't been able to find any documentation to support that.

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2015, 07:33:03 AM »
Still looking for the first day of the year. Got the new Riviera DW 14
 and want to give it a go before building my own.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal