Author Topic: Upgrading to inflatable... Help me decide  (Read 7330 times)

overthebars

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Upgrading to inflatable... Help me decide
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:14:49 PM »
Hey all... I'm upgrading from my 2 year old beginner plastic SUP to an inflatable to make it easier to get to the lake more often.

I'm a big dude (6'-4" 230 lbs) and ONLY paddle flat water. I've done tons of reading on here, and have narrowed my choice to a 12'-6 board. I really like the Red Explorer, but at $1599 it's well above my $1100 budget. Any thoughts on the Boardworks Inflatable Raven? It fits the budget and is said to be very stable, but the 15 psi max has me nervous.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading to inflatable... Help me decide
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:43:51 PM »
speaking in general, you are a pretty big guy for an inflatable.  I saw a guy who weighs 210 on a Starboard 14 and it was sagging quite a bit. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 05:44:02 AM »
Step up for the board you want, not the one you can afford. It's cheaper, not just in the long run. You're spending time doing this sport. Hampering your fun with junky gear will waste your time and can ruin the sport for you. Either that or you will buy cheap, then later buy what you wanted in the first place.

You won't have any problem with a good inflatable. I'm 245# and the good ones work fine for me. My brother is 270 or more and he has an ULI that he likes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »
How about the Fanatic Fly Air Touring 12'0" (2014)? If I'm not mistaken, the retail price is under $1,200. I don't have personal experience with any inflatable, but Jim K. (he's here on the boards) knows all things Fanatic and can likely get you the best deal around.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:07:16 AM »
I am the same hight as you but a few lb less. I had a inflatable and I got rid of it. I was on a tight budget and bought a board that was a max 15psi. the board just keep sagging and it just looked funny when I was on it. "the banana boat effect" Buy the board you really want.

overthebars

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 04:04:04 PM »
How about the Fanatic Fly Air Touring 12'0" (2014)? If I'm not mistaken, the retail price is under $1,200. I don't have personal experience with any inflatable, but Jim K. (he's here on the boards) knows all things Fanatic and can likely get you the best deal around.

Thanks! I will see if Jim chimes in.... I checked out their website, but it doesn't list recommended rider weight range, or max inflatable PSI.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 06:23:01 PM »
Hi overthebars, did you consider the 12'6" Race. Don't let the name put you off, it's also a great touring and cruising board. It also comes in at $1579, a $20 saving!!

I'll also mention, as with everything in life, you get what you pay for. I spent double my "budget" on the SUS board I wanted. I am so glad I did it.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

blong5150

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 07:08:52 PM »
Hi overthebars, did you consider the 12'6" Race. Don't let the name put you off, it's also a great touring and cruising board. It also comes in at $1579, a $20 saving!!

I'll also mention, as with everything in life, you get what you pay for. I spent double my "budget" on the SUS board I wanted. I am so glad I did it.

All this time I was thinking that the 12'6" Race was 26" wide so I dismissed it. I'm gonna have to consider this one in my decision.

overthebars

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 09:35:08 PM »

Would the Race be better than the Explorer for flat water? I see their both 150mm thick.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 04:45:03 AM »
Would the Race be better than the Explorer for flat water?

The Race is 30" wide and has battens, the Explorer is 32" wide.  IMO 30" is plenty wide but 32" is all the more stable.  The Explorer for 2014 has tie-downs in the front and back, but extra side fins in the rear which they claim will help the board track better if you've got gear tied down in the back.

I've found if you go to Red's website and "ask us a question", you'll get a very quick response from their head of sales.  Let them know your weight and intended use.
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

pugsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 03:56:18 PM »
I can 2nd the Red Race suggestion. I went on a little tour on Tuesday with a pack strapped to the front and my dog walking all over the board. It was nice and stable.
The Explorer will be a bit more stable and allow you to carry more, but the Race has the battens that add stiffness.
The 2014 Race also has tie downs in the front.

Alkasazi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 04:24:41 PM »
Can't speak to the Red boards yet, but I've been very happy paddling the Raven the last few months. I'm 6' 220 lbs, and it floats me no problem. I've had it everywhere from flat glass on lakes to knee-high chop on the Columbia, and haven't once yet wished I was on a different board.
SUP monkey @ Outdoorplay

current boards:
KPO Design Yampa 10
Imagine Connector
Red Elite 14

Bradley

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 09:00:14 PM »
Any thoughts on the Boardworks Inflatable Raven? It fits the budget and is said to be very stable, but the 15 psi max has me nervous.

Thoughts?

The Raven inflatable is a joy to paddle just as the hard version of the Raven.  Super versatile, looks great and has plenty of volume to float  most anybody wanting to try it out.  I have had mine in the ocean, in rivers, and on lakes.  Quiver killer for sure.
Team Boardworks // Altitude Paddleboards // Stand Up Paddle Colorado // http://bradleysup.weebly.com/

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 01:29:18 PM »
If you plan to carry gear pretty often and want the most amount of stability all round, the Explorer would be the way to go. If you're only carrying a bit of gear sometimes and want a little more cruising speed and performance, the Race would be the choice. Both should handle your size and weight without issue. Note, RSS battens for extra stiffness are only on the Race model.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 11:28:16 PM »
I'm 5'11", 270, and a newbie - but I'm really liking my Blue Planet 12'6"x30 .

I'm flat-water only here in Alaska - so surfing isn't an issue. I'm only putting it to 15-17 psi so far - and it seems firm to me - pictures of me compared to my 130lb teenager show about the same curve - on flat water.

I'm up to about a 15 minute mile - don't know how bad that is, but it's feeling pretty fun :D

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard