Author Topic: Good launch points on SF Bay  (Read 14944 times)

Bycyclist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Good launch points on SF Bay
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:18:12 PM »
Looking for recommendations on good launch points on north SF Bay.

I already have a good setup with 101 Surfsports in San Rafael.

How about Berkeley Marina or Glen Cove in Benecia?

Looking for something along I80 in east bay or S101 in Marin.

Preferably easy access off freeway, good parking, maybe lighter winds? Although I know it's always windy on the bay.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Byrren

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Good launch points on SF Bay
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:56:07 PM »
At the end of Liberty Ship Way in Sausalito is a public beach.  There is a parking lot there.  Liberty Ship Way is/was across from Fred's Restaurant.  Sea Trek Kayak used to have their operation there.  I think they have moved.
Make sure you get educated about tides.  Also, part of Richardson Bay is closed in winter for a bird sanctuary.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:04:39 AM by hbsteve »

Bycyclist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 09:08:40 PM »
Found a good resource - bask.org (Bay Area Sea Kayakers). Lists public legal launch points and tide forecasts. Depending on tides this Wed, am I'll may go try W9th street in Benecia or China Camp

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 09:41:22 PM »
China Camp is nice because it has a sand beach and a natural shoreline.
Easy place to take friends and family to paddle for the first time.
I've had a couple of really fun paddle/picnics there.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »
Another picture of the beach.

Bycyclist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 08:49:40 PM »
Nice! I'll get out there when tide is higher in the Mornings one of these days.

Bycyclist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »

China village was a great place to launch! Easy close water access, rocky beach with little sand, bathrooms with flush and running water. Had a nice quick run down towards San Rafael creek before the wind and waves made me turn around. I'll definitely be back and head north this time.

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 05:25:59 PM »
At the end of Liberty Ship Way in Sausalito is a public beach.  There is a parking lot there.  Liberty Ship Way is/was across from Fred's Restaurant.  Sea Trek Kayak used to have their operation there.  I think they have moved.
Make sure you get educated about tides.  Also, part of Richardson Bay is closed in winter for a bird sanctuary.
Thanks hb.
Yea, Sea Trek has in fact moved. They're now located about a half mile west - at the Bay Model complex. Their launch point is a series of floating docks connected to the Engineer's Pier just out front.
Good people, Sea Trek.
While understanding weather and water conditions is always a must, I don't think that tidal activity in Richardson Bay is any big deal when it comes to SUPing. Now SE, out beyond Channel Buoy 2 is another matter (as I suspect you know). Fog, 5 knot tides, hard clocking winds and psychotic ferry boat skippers are a another ball game.

Regarding the 'bird' sanctuary' - It's actually been made a "Marine Sanctuary" As is all too often the case, our government bureaucrats don't know what the fuck they're talking about. If they had an iota of common sense they'd post it as off limits to power boats, jet skis etc. That makes sense.
I've been rowing and sailing out there since the mid fifties and nothing in this regard has changed: the local sea creatures love the rest of us. Then, as it is now, those waters are a beautiful symphony when it comes to most out there, sailing, rowing small boats and paddling. Fact is, the harbor seals, sea lions and birds love the motion and connection we make -and that's a fact - empirically.
I'm out there all the time and the beauty of that connection always makes me smile and always brings so much love to the life we have together. The other day I was out rowing my dory and two harbor seal pups surfaced a few feet off my stern, then swam with me awhile. Yes, they do this all the time but I can't ever get over the magic they bring.

So, forgive if I've gone on a bit but like all of you who experience this in your own way, in your own part of the world, I never ever get over these moments. Makes me smile, keeps me alive...

Bycyclist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 06:41:35 PM »

Thanks sterbo - is the best place to launch into Richardson bay then still end of liberty ship way? Yea I get the hellaciousness I guess it's SE past Richardson Bay.  Crossed that Saturday paddling to east Angel Island. Was like a washing machine and I guess it wasn't even as bad as it could get.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 09:01:35 PM »
That's Racoon Straights. There are some interesting YouTube videos of the area.
Going toward the Golden Gate Bridge, just past the sewage treatment plant is Yellow Bluff. On an outgoing tide, the tide rips gets really nasty. Videos also available.  At the south end Angel Island is Blunt Point. We were taught to go between the rocks, rather than around and stay close to shore on the Oakland side.
These are the three worst areas in the Bay.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 10:27:13 PM »
Correction:  It is Raccoon Strait.
Check out the Open Water Rowing Center website.  Then click on Rowing the Bay.  They list different routes and some of the concerns for each.  They explain going both clockwise and counter clockwise around Angel Island.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:36:32 PM by hbsteve »

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 05:44:47 AM »

Thanks sterbo - is the best place to launch into Richardson bay then still end of liberty ship way? Yea I get the hellaciousness I guess it's SE past Richardson Bay.  Crossed that Saturday paddling to east Angel Island. Was like a washing machine and I guess it wasn't even as bad as it could get.
I think so, all things considered.
However, if you go about 3/4's of a mile north to Harbor Dr. and go out to the water, on your right is our local fuel dock. There's a small boat launch ramp one can use and the parking is free and a piece of cake.
On the other hand, going south about a half mile from Liberty Ship Way, towards town, is another small boat launch ramp. It's before you hit the stop light. Parking in this area sucks however.

Regarding the big water outside Richardson Bay:
It's what makes our activity on the water here so dynamic and spectacular. Anyone who is going to go out on the water better have their shit together given the mercurial nature of the Bay. The speed at which the conditions change from serene and peaceful to out and out what the hell happened, is stunning. It's all too common for people to come out here unprepared and quickly get into trouble. The idiocy and lack of preparedness never ceases to amaze me.
My safety rant aside, the glorious beauty and diverse conditions of the SF Bay rank among the world's most valuable treasures - especially for those of us more at home in and on the water than not...

sterbo

• Malibu Status
  • sailordog...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »
That's Racoon Straights. There are some interesting YouTube videos of the area.
The straights are a blast no matter the conditions. There've been times when we can ride bumps on the Belvedere side going in the direction of the Gate, then quick paddle a bit towads Angel Island and ride similarly back in the direction of the east bay. It's hilarious.
Going toward the Golden Gate Bridge, just past the sewage treatment plant is Yellow Bluff. On an outgoing tide, the tide rips gets really nasty.
The waters off Yellow Bluff Pt are awesome but, as you suggest, when kicking up with afternoon winds on a strong ebb tide, are only for those with solid skills and definitely not for the weak hearted. With that in mind, the utter roller coaster chaos is seriously addictive.

At the south end Angel Island is Blunt Point. We were taught to go between the rocks, rather than around and stay close to shore on the Oakland side.
Not to quibble but I'd peg Pt Blunt as ESE. And yea, especially on a windy hard ebb, rounding the point is kinda like Yellow Bluff. Other than that it doesn't really matter what track one takes - it's all good.
These are the three worst areas in the Bay.
Hmm, not sure why you'd say that. In my humble opinion - (get that stoneaxe) - these are 3 of the most awesome areas on the Bay - at least for those loving challenge and adventure...

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 06:19:29 PM »
ESE--Okay.  I  haven't been up there for awhile.  I sure remember the fun.
Worst areas???  On the nav. chart I had, they were the only three places that had comments about strong rips.  Also, they were mentioned in a book about San Francisco bay, as the main three.
That doesn't mean they can't be a load of fun.  One time When I was training for the Open Water Rowing regatta long course out to Pt. Diablo and back.  I found a rip at the entrance to Richardson Bay, that was about 200 by 200 yards.  I just keep rowing across it at different angles.  Others that saw me later said I was nuts.  Yeah that and comfortable in mixed up water.
The other fun course is to go up Raccoon Strait on  the Tiburon side and keep going up to Bluff Point and beyond.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:29:13 PM by hbsteve »

Bycyclist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Good launch points on SF Bay
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 06:43:56 PM »
You guys are studs then. I got thrown to the deck at raccoon and had to paddle on my knees. Still fun stuff though.

It was at tail end of a paddle from San Rafael

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal