Author Topic: Brian Szymanski joins Sup ATX  (Read 6421 times)

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brian Szymanski joins Sup ATX
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:26:35 AM »
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brian Szymanski joins Sup ATX
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 11:51:54 AM »
I guess if someone offers you more money to work for them, you go for it. A friend of mine has been shaping for SUP ATX for a year or so now. He's a good shaper, but the quality of work on the finishing end is something completely different. Brian Szymanski has some good ideas, and thinks out of the box. I liked his thoughts on the 'spoon (boof) nose' in relation to a piercing bow. He talks downwind technique as well. Worth a watch. 

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
Definitely will keep up to date with ATX to see where they go with their shapes.

'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

StandinDan

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »
King of useless information here...
I just discovered that "ATX" stands for Austin Texas.
So there you go...

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 04:32:43 PM »
King of useless information here...
I just discovered that "ATX" stands for Austin Texas.
So there you go...
Good thing they're not from Dayton, Ohio.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 05:24:37 PM »
I remember seeing those SUP ATX ads when I started doing research to buy my first board a year ago. It didn't take long to figure out they were just doing the hard sell of mediocre, nothing special boards.

I just checked their website and nothing has changed. It will be interesting to see what hiring Szymanski will do for them.

I think the first thing they should do is get rid of the SUP ATX name. It's just not synonymous with quality, and they need to change their sales technique. That kind of product pushing really turns me off.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
TallDude, thanks for that video, I really enjoyed hearing Brian's take on the bow design, especially since that was 3 years ago and it seems like more and more people are starting to drift in that direction. 

I paddled a prototype 14' that Lance Erickson shaped for SUP ATX and it was very different from anything they have previously released.  Lance said they thought it was too unstable to be rolled out as a production model.  It wasn't bad at all but I just assumed they were still targeting a beginner-friendly market. This move makes me wonder where they are going to take things. I hate their model of "start your own SUP board sales company" and back in RI a few of these "dealers" saturated Craigslist and other avenues. Wonder if they will keep that approach up or shift their model. I do like all of this change that is taking place. Fun time to be a part of this sport.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 06:26:19 PM »
I've seen a few of the boards and they are nothing special; they do a direct sales approach like Tower.  They are also selling through Costco as SUP USA. 

Brian S. is a "mad scientist" for sure, but there is no way SUP ATX boards are anywhere near a Starboard in terms of craftsmanship, durability and quality.  Hopefully that will change?

As a dealer I get bummed that when I see a talented shaper making great designs, which are then produced cheaply & w/o quality control in a second rate factory overseas.  The boards arrive on a container, are shipped to shops without being inspected, and then we open them & see that they should have never made it out of China.  What a waste.  A design is only as good as the craftsmanship of the board itself.     

I do my best to convince customers walking through our doors that $200-300 extra for a quality board is a worthwhile investment.  They perform better, they're more durable, and they'll have better resale when it is time to switch out. 

Personally I don't like it when I can't even strap a board down without putting pressure dents in it.

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 06:52:20 PM »
That's really weird, I thought Starboard kind of treasured the guy. But I've always had the feeling that Svein is a little, shall we say, firm with a buck. Lots of good designers out there though, and with the limited palette of a 14 foot board, there's only so much that creativity can offer. They may quite reasonably consider that they've gotten all he has to give.

There isn't that much difference between a factory in Thailand and a factory in Asia. The quality difference comes from on-site inspection. Something I learned the hard way. You can assume that a factory that made something perfectly yesterday is going to do the same tomorrow. That can be overcome. Maybe Sup ATX has decided Costco isn't the best outlet for their efforts.

Then again, they wouldn't be the first company to realize that design is free when you ship in quantity.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
Well if you are a company that wants to upgrade their image then hiring a guy like Szymanski certainly helps. Not sure what John Becker brings to the table.

Brian was a good early source of ideas based on all his experience with shaping paddleboards. I'm trying to remember if Brian was the one to take over Eaton paddleboard when Mike Eaton retired. I was told that Mike Eaton thought standup was a fad and chose not to put any effort in building any. Pretty much the opposite of Joe Bark who jumped in with both feet.

In any event I'm sure Starboard will be around for awhile. The recent Lost Mills 200m time trials had 5 Starboards in the top 10.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 09:39:03 PM »
That's really weird, I thought Starboard kind of treasured the guy. But I've always had the feeling that Svein is a little, shall we say, firm with a buck. Lots of good designers out there though, and with the limited palette of a 14 foot board, there's only so much that creativity can offer. They may quite reasonably consider that they've gotten all he has to give.

There isn't that much difference between a factory in Thailand and a factory in Asia. The quality difference comes from on-site inspection. Something I learned the hard way. You can assume that a factory that made something perfectly yesterday is going to do the same tomorrow. That can be overcome. Maybe Sup ATX has decided Costco isn't the best outlet for their efforts.

Then again, they wouldn't be the first company to realize that design is free when you ship in quantity.

Never drink and type. Or is that always... 

Anyway, I meant "a factory anywhere else in Asia" and "you CAN'T assume".
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »
Are you hinting to the fact that Thailand is in Asia?

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 10:01:35 PM »
Top secret picture of your new race board factory workers.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 01:09:07 AM »
Good thing those guys got hard hats on. That well could blow anytime. Screw the people taking the tour. I like the questionable exposed wires connecting to the pressure gauge.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 11:40:06 AM »
Heard a little while ago that this was happening. 

Wasn't really surprised.   Starboard has been working with other designers lately - with great out comes. 

As a shop owner - I too disagree with SUP ATX and their business model.   Not really helping to grow the sport - just making a buck off it.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard