Author Topic: Costa Rica, family and SUP  (Read 2773 times)

nachoSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Costa Rica, family and SUP
« on: June 30, 2014, 12:41:57 PM »
hi there!! planning the 2015 holidays with my family and want to add some SUP surfing !! Thinking in july 2015

Costa Rica seems to be the rigth place to go (bbb, bueno bonito barato, good, nice and cheap, jeje)

My wife, my son (6yrs) and my two daugthers (2 1/2 and 1 year).

Looking for a beachfront with some amenities for the family and in a perfect world, waves in front of it!! As it´s a family trip, dont want to travel in Costa Rica, just relax in the beach and before the family wakes up, some SUS for me.

Any recomendations? If i can rent a good SUP there, better!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Costa Rica, family and SUP
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »
Give Jimmy Hogan a call. I grew up with him in San Clemente, Ca. He's run a successful surf camp there for 20 years. I don't know if he has SUS'g in his program, but I bet he knows the right people. It will be sticky hot with hot water in July. More than likely paraffin wax on surfboards. http://www.jimhogansurfcamp.com/#!family-fun/cj24
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:11:37 AM »
I'm looking for the same thing, want to SUS a bit in the AM, then hang out with the wife and what not the rest of the day. So, a good hotel is high on the priority list.

Also, good board rental.

Where are the waves better suited to a SUS (less plunging, gentler)?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

gr8laker

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:53:56 AM »
Nosara is beautiful and very laid back.  Connect with Nate at http://www.nosarapaddlesurf.com/ to get out to some point breaks where you will be the only ones out.  He's got some good spots for smaller waves if the wife/kids want to get out to try it.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 01:35:08 PM »
Hey for those of you who have gone, how big is CR typically? I was talking to a guy who just got back and said it was basically  head to double overhead everyday. I'm comfortable with a few foot overhead (East Coast US), but I want to make sure I don't get killed on a SUP.

Are there locations where it's a bit more manageable when big? I'm sure there are, some details would be nice.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

puravida

• Waikiki Status
  • Tamarindo Beach
    • View Profile
    • Costa Rica Stand Up Paddle Adventures
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 04:38:59 AM »
Costa Rica can range from waist high to double overhead, depending on where you go and the swell at the time. The Tamarindo area is beautiful and there are spots that are more manageable if the swell is big. Costa Rica SUP Adventures in Tamarindo has great reviews in Trip Advisor, you can check them out here www.costaricasupadventures.com

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal