Author Topic: Another confused newbie.  (Read 5624 times)

xpetexkx

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Another confused newbie.
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:33:40 AM »
Hello all, I am another confused newbie. Ive taken a a few lessons and I am ready to really dive into the sport. I have been reading so much on boards, construction, shape ect that i think ive hit paralysis by analysis. Ill try to keep it simple

1. i am 5'9" 200-210lbs (working to get back to 190ish)
2. mostly will be in local lakes and inlets.
3. want to be able to take the board past the break and ocean cruise
4. want to be able to have my 4 y old daughter ride with me in the calm water
5. looking at amundson tr, boardworks raven, tahoe zepher/rubicon, bic wing (was told displacement hull is th way to go for me)
6 12'6" or 14'

Thanks for taking time to read. any and all help is greatly appreciated

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:35:15 AM by xpetexkx »

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Re: Another confused newbie.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:25:38 AM »
I disagree that a displacement hull is what you need.  If you are racing and/or plan on using the board competitively, then yes, thats what you need.  But even outside of surf, a normal planing hull (ie, surf style nose...flat) is really the most comfortable and I dare say fun shape.  Think of displacement hulls as you exerting your will on the water (cut through the chop) VS. planing hulls as you adapting to the water's movement.   When folks first get into the sport, its that intimate relationship with the water that captures the imagination.  Think of it as a dance.  Planing hulls are like dancing with a partner, displacement hulls are busting out some great solo moves. 

Something like a Starboard Cruiser, which is 12-6, but a planing hull, might be a good bet.  Its 30" wide.  Go wider if you plan on taking kids/pets on board (31-32"?)  There are a ton of all-around 12'ers out there. 

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »
Hello all, I am another confused newbie. Ive taken a a few lessons and I am ready to really dive into the sport. I have been reading so much on boards, construction, shape ect that i think ive hit paralysis by analysis. Ill try to keep it simple

1. i am 5'9" 200-210lbs (working to get back to 190ish)
2. mostly will be in local lakes and inlets.
3. want to be able to take the board past the break and ocean cruise
4. want to be able to have my 4 y old daughter ride with me in the calm water
5. looking at amundson tr, boardworks raven, tahoe zepher/rubicon, bic wing (was told displacement hull is th way to go for me)
6 12'6" or 14'

Thanks for taking time to read. any and all help is greatly appreciated

The truth is there are a lot of great options out there, just make sure to go with a quality manufacturer.  Do you live close to a shop where you can demo?

Something like the Hobie Venture 12'4 could be a nice fit for you.  Sort of a displacement/planing hull hybrid, with extra stability & space for kid/gear and still a very efficient cruiser.  Not the cheapest option, but the quality & design is second to none.  The ATR-II 12'2 also great, even more stable. 

Those Bic Wings are very nice, too.  I use them for rentals & everyone really likes them.  They can handle more abuse than any other board I've seen, btw.   
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 01:03:29 PM »
I'll second Fog City on the Hobie ATR11 12'2. I use one for exactly what you are doing and I love it. I even tie down a large cooler I use for seat to rest with on the rear tie downs that come on the board. I can carry me,cooler,sunbrella, and my granddaughter island hopping. Take off the cooler and just me it makes a decent downwinder. Catches bumps good. It's a keeper.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 04:21:20 PM »
You'll love the Amundson and The Raven
Displacement is the way to go
If you can local demo go for it
If not check back here for more details
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

paddlestandingup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 05:33:47 PM »
The Bic Wing is fantastic.  The Raven is really nice board too, pretty fast and lots of volume.  However, the beauty of an all-round is they are okay everywhere even in small surf.  They are more plentiful too, easy to find on Craigslist.

xpetexkx

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »
All of this is great info. i really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer me. I know there isnt 1 right answer. I probably should have mentioned that i will be doing fitness paddling on it (which is y i think the displacement hull was recommended). doing a race is a long term goal. not sure when that would be. but i would like to do my own paddling for speed/distance (when not with child of course) i guess the answer will also be part of trying out a bunch of boards. thank you again.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 07:11:51 PM »
14' is monstrous, esp. if its' your first board.  You are invariably going to drop it, bang into the garage walls w/ it, etc.  12'6" is plenty cumbersome.  If you're not hard-core (yet), I think a 14' might be too big for a 1st board.  Plus, you'll get major stink-eye from the wife if you park a 14' toy in the garage.  She's probably still pissed about that mtn bike you park next to her car...
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 07:13:25 PM »
You stated mostly lakes and inlets so displacement hull all the way, and you can cruise just fine in open ocean with a displacement hull as well. Many companies are offering semi/hybrid displacement designs now that aren't the full on flared canoe type noses with rounded or V bottoms that were more common on flat water boards a few years ago. Since you mentioned Amundson, I think it would be definitely worth taking a look at the 14 foot TRT model. It will be able to handle your 210 pounds + the weight of your girl and gear much easier than the 12'6" TR and it will be faster. Tie downs both front and back as well.

The Raven has the volume to float a lot of weight and I prefer it over the Amundson TR 12'6", but for your intended use, I think the Boardworks GreatBear in either 12'6" or 14" would be better than both the Amundson TR 12'6" and the Raven. The GreatBear was designed for rougher water by widening out the tail, taking some of the flare out of the nose, and the rails aren't quite as boxy either. Tie downs front and back, with a bit more volume in the 12'6" than the Raven, and the 14 foot has a ton of volume. 

Norm Hann talking about the Great Bear, and he helped design it. Check out the movie STAND on Netflix with Norm. Powerful stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUe08bJideU

Kalavida surf posted up pictures of the Raven and GreatBear for comparison

https://www.facebook.com/boardworkssurf/posts/632607503498590

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:16:14 PM by robon »

surfinib

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 07:17:30 PM »
+1 on spookini's comment. If you do decide to go displacement stick with a 12'6" unless you are serious about racing. I used to take my step daughter out on the front of my 12-6 up to about 9 years old. Plenty of volume and stability if you get one of the wider models. The extra foot and a half difference going to 14 can become a pain transport and storage wise.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 09:53:16 AM »
I'm not quite sure I'm following the recommendation for a displacement board. They're faster sure, slightly, but doesn't that only matter if you're worried about going faster? Fitness paddling can be done on anything and in fact I'd argue you'll get more fitness benefit from a slower board. You can also race anything and unless you're sandbagging you're unlikely to be very competitive in the beginning anyway. Not sure cruising with a 4 year old needs fast as much as it needs stable and displacement boards are almost always going to be tippier than a planing hull of the same size

Find a longer (12'+)and wider (30"+) used board on craigslist or elsewhere, then demo and buy that if it works. Analysis paralysis comes from being afraid to spend $$$ on something you're not sure you'll like in the long run. Getting a bigger all-around used will mitigate that....you'll spend less now and if/when you sell it later you won't lose much. Use the difference to get yourself a good paddle. Have fun learning and playing with your daughter and when the time comes for an upgrade you'll know. that's when I would spend the $$$ for a good displacement hull board. You may also decide to keep the used board so that you can let friends come along.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:22:05 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

xpetexkx

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »
i have been allover craigslist. being jersey the SUP market is not that hot. hanks again guys for all the great viewpoints.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 11:49:56 AM »
i have been allover craigslist. being jersey the SUP market is not that hot. hanks again guys for all the great viewpoints.

Deal with craigslist for any prolonged amount of time and it quickly loses its luster—there are too many flakes.

It's worth braving beach traffic to see Jim K. I bought my board from him last year.  :)

If you want to try to find one used also look at SUP groups on Meetup.com. (Susan of the Jersey Shore SUP, Yoga, Fitness & Life Coaching-on-Water group posted three boards on 6/22 but the 12'6" one with the displacement hull already sold  :o).
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »
It's worth braving beach traffic to see Jim K.

Ditto that.  JimK likely has used/demo/2013 boards that your budget will like.  Spend the savings on a good paddle, like a KeNalu.

You don't have to brave beach trafic, per se.  He'll ship to you.
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

xpetexkx

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 01:19:29 PM »

Deal with craigslist for any prolonged amount of time and it quickly loses its luster—there are too many flakes.

It's worth braving beach traffic to see Jim K. I bought my board from him last year.  :)

If you want to try to find one used also look at SUP groups on Meetup.com. (Susan of the Jersey Shore SUP, Yoga, Fitness & Life Coaching-on-Water group posted three boards on 6/22 but the 12'6" one with the displacement hull already sold  :o).

thanks i will definitely go check it out

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal