Author Topic: Removing the paddle grip.  (Read 4199 times)

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Removing the paddle grip.
« on: June 21, 2014, 07:52:39 PM »
Hey guys. I decided to cut down my two qb paddles by about 2". I tried my friend's short paddle and loved it. Do you guys know how to take the grip off without damaging anything? I thought it would come off using a heat gun but I couldn't get it to move. Maybe I didn't get it hot enough? Does anyone here have experience with that? Thank you.

Rob
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Removing the paddle grip.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 09:37:24 PM »
There's quite a few threads on this (eg search "remove paddle handle boiling water"). I had luck with the boiling water method with a handle that inserted into the shaft by a few inches, put a big pan of boiling water on the stove, then submerged the handle in it for > 30 mins (I first tried 10 mins at a time then try to remove but didn't budge), after this it twisted off pretty easily. YMMV, I would have thought a heatgun would do a better job, maybe just need to heat it for longer.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 02:38:48 AM »
I have the QB foam grip so didn't want to damage the grip using a heat gun. I ran hot water from the tap on the shaft just below the grip to pre-heat it while I heated water to just under boiling. Poured that on slowly for another few minutes. A good twist and off it pops.

The trick is to find a place you can jam the blade. Cover it with a towel to avoid scratches.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 06:01:09 AM »
The QB website has a video of how to do this. Main info is the degrees of heat to loosen the epoxy and then the degrees of heat NOT to reach so you protect the shaft and handle. 
  I custom built golf clubs for years so I'm used to graphite shafts and while QB says to twist handle out we always kept light, constant,straight out pressure on handle(club head). When the epoxy is compromised the handle will move slightly and can then be pulled out. 

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 12:35:24 PM »
Just cut down a qb for a friend.  The rate of difficulty depends on how much epoxy was used.  I used a heat gun on medium setting (5 on the dial) and slowly heated the shaft and allowed it to cool before applying another round of heat (to prevent the foam grip from melting).  It took me about 30 minutes and it was not until 25 minutes into the heating process that I first twisted the handle.  The male insert part on the handle is approximately 2 inches long and premature twisting of handle will ruin it.

Bad case scenario, a new handle runs $37 to $40.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 11:42:54 PM »
DO NOT twist. If you get the
CF warm enough the twisting will make it collapse. Boiling water is the safest way, and let it stew for a good long time--carbon fiber is not a great conductor of heat. If you get the outside blistering hot with a heat gun the inside will be just warm. You can let it sit for hours in boiling water without damage.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bernhardd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 10:39:18 PM »
Hello guys
(Old posts but current problem)

Does the boiling water method work with 24 hours epoxy as well? Any tips? Want to remove my Carbon handle from Carbon shaft!

Thank you

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 01:09:07 AM »
It's never worked for me, even with 5 min epoxy. But other people have made it work. I think it depends on how well you glued it in the first place, and how good the glue was. You'll never know until you try.

bernhardd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 04:54:40 AM »
So I'll give it a try! I regret not having worked with hot glue at first ....

bernhardd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 11:03:04 AM »
30 min of cooking - nothing happened - nit even the Part of the glue visible changed! But the handle seems to be destroyed - massive change in Color

An car engeneer i know told me afterwards that he would not have hüben the method a Chance - epoxy Is very Heat resistent!
Cut it and fixed it with a long shafted handle !

bernhardd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 11:04:06 AM »

Better pic

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 03:52:28 PM »
Looks like it absorbed some water. No big deal, just aesthetics. Carbon fiber is very heat resistant, but the epoxy that binds it is not. Your engineer friend didn't think his answer through. Epoxy starts to soften at about 200F and is very weak by 260F.

You might just cut it off leaving three of four inches for the ferrule, then use a dremel to slit the shaft a few times. then pry the shaft off the ferrule with a screwdriver.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 07:15:24 PM »
Hello guys
(Old posts but current problem)

Does the boiling water method work with 24 hours epoxy as well? Any tips? Want to remove my Carbon handle from Carbon shaft!

Thank you

I always try boiling water first, then heat gun.  5 min epoxy seems to have a lower melting point, but sometimes reg epoxy will release too.  You have to ask yourself, how hot can water get in an open pot?

If you cut it like PB suggests, you could throw it in a pressure cooker and squeeze a few more degrees out of the boil.

bernhardd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 10:23:33 PM »
Thanks guys

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal