Author Topic: finally it happened words with a proner  (Read 21580 times)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: finally it happened words with a proner
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2014, 07:52:09 AM »
wife nursing shoulder strain, I'm out, good luck!

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2014, 05:38:31 PM »
Anything interesting happen today at the trails?
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2014, 09:57:36 PM »
So this morning StandinDan, three other buddies and I SUP surfed the Trail 1 area for over an hour.  Six of us were in the water at one point. 

The lifeguard truck came and went; no issues.

Towards the end there were five of us clustered 150 meters in front of the lifeguard tower; nothing said to us.

When I got out, I walked right in front of the tower with my SUP but didn't make any attempt to engage the guard in conversation.  He seemed focused on the water anyhow; glad he was earning his check.

Overall:  No problemas with guards, rangers, or prone surfers.  We had our little demonstration of presence and all was cool.  JimK:  Hopefully that takes a bit of the sting out of your bad experience out here. 

(Supsurf-TW:  You said you were going today; was that you about 250 meters south of us?)

Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2014, 07:35:14 AM »
(Supsurf-TW:  You said you were going today; was that you about 250 meters south of us?)

Client meeting went waaaayyyyy overtime so I missed it. I'm glad there were no incidents, Maybe they finally have things sorted out.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2014, 07:49:05 AM »
hmm, I hadn't realized proners were yet capable of speech  ;)  ;D  :o
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2014, 01:40:28 PM »
Glad to hear all went well At this point I'm chalking my experience up to Early Summer enthusism on the guards part

I won't be back until Christmas I'm sure no one will care then...I hope!

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2014, 02:41:16 PM »
Heck, I came out of the water right in front of the LG, laid my board down 20 feet from him, and then went over and yakked about the conditions and just things in general.

Kid was cool, said nothing about us being there, and in fact, was more interested in talking about the PITA summer crowds there, who don't realize all the submerged rocks that are out there when they dive in head first all over the place.

Decent day, but in all honesty, breakfast at Pipes with everyone, was much better than the surfing. :D :o
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: finally it happened words with a proner round 2
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »
So today i was surfing the point at terra mar   got to the reef this morning it was  junk paddled down to the pint  got some awesome little waves  and  had had about 10 or 12.  I  take off again  going down the line  this kid a youngster maybe 15  with braces is stuck  on the shoulder so thinking back I  straighten out try to   work the wash around him but I fall .  he looses his board and the next thing I know it bops me  on the head I  pop up and  say hold your board but another wave comes and  h e looses it again.  and a third time  so I paddle out to the channel and wave him over I can  see he is a little scared thinking I am going to yell at him but I didn't I said   let me give you some advice.  by now  his dad is coming over  ironically on a stand up board ( but he too was  pretty inexperienced)  so  I told him what to do where to paddle and never  ever try to out run a   guy on a wave.    hi dad is telling turn turtle yada yada yada  any way   i didn't loose my cool and it earned my some serious points  with the proners out. all in all  it was a  pretty nice day. had dolphins less than 10 feet away  some young guy told me I rode that wave like i was 25 ( i am 60)
 so how did the san O invasion go.     who surfs san o regularly  I have to come  join you  guys some time  slatch  bulky Jm K standin dan  any one?

SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2014, 08:39:44 PM »
Wife and I went to Doheny today, with the increase in swell and the decrease in line to get in.  I'm really glad the Trail 1 invasion went as it did because it provides evidence that the whole previous lifeguard incident was born from mis, or disinformation.

Back to the original topic, I spent the afternoon having a great time with a (i'm guessing here) 14 or 15 year old proner on a soft top, trading waves, talking story, having a great session just the three of us (wife felt like going).  Great kid, wish him all the best.

Makes me believe that giving our fellow watermen a 'benefit of the doubt' card seems to make the most sense.  I really do enjoy good company, and I'd hate for aggro to take the chance enjoyment of a stranger away.  I'll always try to be kind to my fellow surfer, it may be him pulling me to shore if things go astray.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2014, 04:32:35 AM »
Mmmmm, feel the stink eye that's when you paddle off ...regardless whether you have done nothing wrong , time to drift away. That's the advantage of a Sup. We can surf what they can't and who want's to surf the poison gravy of discontent , leave that to the proners to drop in on and snake each other..     
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard