Author Topic: Can you recommend a modern, beginner all-around ISUP?  (Read 8560 times)

snapster

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Can you recommend a modern, beginner all-around ISUP?
« on: June 14, 2014, 05:53:31 PM »
So I'm a beginner, looking for an inflatable.  I'd like to be able to paddle flat water, as well as light surf.  I'd like to be able to lash down some stuff at the front. I get the impression that the world of inflatables changes quickly, with a lot of new advance; as such, can anyone recommend something for me?
Apologies if every third thread is of this variety.  I'm new to this SUP stuff...

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Can you recommend a modern, beginner all-around ISUP?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:59:00 PM »
I can tell you I have gotten an awful lot of pleasure from my Red Paddle Mega.  Large enough for fishing, floating two or more people, glides and paddles well (surprisingly fast), and also manages to catch waves for surfing.

It allowed me to get balance on the ocean and enjoy the process without too much distress.  It also has lashings, can take a beating, and could carry a load of stuff for tripping without skipping a beat.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:06:55 AM »
The Red Paddle Co Mega (10'8"x36") is a great board. It's quite large so depending on your weight, you may not need such a large board. Might want to look at the Red Paddle Co Ride (10'6"x32") as a good all round beginner board or the Surfer (10'x30") if you're a smaller person and will be in the waves more often. Red's pump up pretty darn tight and that helps stiffness and overall performance. Other inflatables perform well but right now, Reds and Ulis are the clear leaders.

I've currently got a blow out sale on the left over 2013 boards in the above models. Sale valid until June 25 or when stocks run out. See them here: http://greenwatersports.com/on-sale Also have some pretty sweet packages which include a 3-piece paddle and free leash.

You can get yourself a 2013 Ride for only $969 ($1249 for 2014). Only difference between the boards for 2013 and 2014 are different deck grip graphics and red fins. Construction tech all the same. And these models all have tie downs.

What's your weight/height?
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Julian
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

snapster

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 12:08:24 PM »
What's your weight/height?

I'm 6'0", and 145 lbs..  The Red Paddle boards certainly do sound good, from what people seem to say.  I'm new to this stuff, so I'm a little confused looking at Red PAddle's line of boards; like what's the major difference between the Mega and the Surfer and the Allwater? Is is mostly that width? 
I'm a beginner, but I'm guessing that 36" wide might be more than enough, and I could get away with something narrower.
Can someone tell me what difference the thickness makes? besides being able to hold up more weight, obviously.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 03:41:48 PM »
''I'd like to be able to paddle flat water, as well as light surf.'' .. ''I'm 6'0", and 145 lbs''

IMO you'd be better to get a 12'6'' .. You will loose some surfing ability but gain heaps of flat water performance ..

moogie

• Malibu Status
  • Sharing Aloha Spirit in Tahoe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 06:00:34 PM »
DJ - I enjoyed your video of the 'Battle of the Blow-Ups'.  That was really nice to see the Naish One in those conditions and how it handled.  Fun board.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 06:20:22 PM »
DJ - I enjoyed your video of the 'Battle of the Blow-Ups'.  That was really nice to see the Naish One in those conditions and how it handled.  Fun board.

Thanks.. That was a fair while ago and the first time I'd used an inflatable in the surf.. You soon learn that once on a wave it's best to keep the nose up and if you do that it actually surfs ok and good enough to keep controle.. They are a lot of fun..  :D

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 07:00:41 PM »

I'm 6'0", and 145 lbs..  The Red Paddle boards certainly do sound good, from what people seem to say.  I'm new to this stuff, so I'm a little confused looking at Red PAddle's line of boards; like what's the major difference between the Mega and the Surfer and the Allwater? Is is mostly that width? 
I'm a beginner, but I'm guessing that 36" wide might be more than enough, and I could get away with something narrower.
Can someone tell me what difference the thickness makes? besides being able to hold up more weight, obviously.

At your size and weight, any of the All Water, Surfer, Ride or Mega would work for you. The Ride and certainly the Mega are on the bigger side, while the All Water and Surfer would be a good fit and something you could grow into. The Ride and Mega are both nearly 5" thick and the other two are just on 4" with Rss battens for extra stiffness. Thickness relates to stiffness but also to ride-ability and surf-ability. A thick board needs less PSI to be stiff for a given weight but will feel corky and won't surf that well. A thinner board may flex a little more, hence the addition of rss battens, but will ride a wave better. If you pump the Reds to 20psi or more, you won't notice much flex.
Julian

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 08:35:04 PM »
At only 145 lbs. you'd be stoked on a narrower model, unless you struggle with balance.  If you're fit, have good balance, and aren't afraid of falling in while you learn for a couple weeks... you don't need anything over 30" wide and you'll be glad you didn't get some extra-wide board once you got your "sea legs."   

I'm gonna second DJ and recommend a 12'6 touring model, if you're "cruising" 70-80% of the time then it's a no-brainer.  But if you truly plan on surfing it enough of the time to take a large compromise in flatwater performance, an all-around model in the 10-12' range would be a solid choice.

Demo at your local shop if you have one! 

I have some Mistral inflatables on sale $200 off & they would be a nice choice for your weight if you decided to go 12'6 -

http://www.mistral-sup.com/index.php/products/board-finder/isup-boards/race-12-6-isup.html

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 09:12:23 PM »
Check out the 12'6 Red Paddle Race, the wider one. That's similar to the Naish One.

embraerjetpilot

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 07:05:49 AM »
I'm a new beginner.  I have tried paddleboarding a few times and have now bought two inflatables and returning them both times.  There is no stability compared to the regular eons we have rented and my balance isn't that good.    Any suggestions?   
Using Tapatalk

embraerjetpilot

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 08:25:04 AM »
I'm 220 and I just about fell off 3 times in five minutes on the one from west marine.   
Using Tapatalk

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 08:41:52 AM »
Embraer:

Not all iSUPs are created equal.  A quality iSUP will run you about $1,000 US.  You can't buy a $500 inflatable and West Marine and then generalize that inflatables don't work.

The "real" inflatables inflate to 18-25psi.  It makes a big difference.   They also have internal/external features to resist buckling/bending.  ULI uses a kevlar stringer laminated into the board.  RED uses external ABS sail battens inserted into midsection pockets.  I believe both brands use a double-laminated skin construction, to retain shape/resist the 'taco' effect.

In short, go to a surf shop and ask to demo their highest-priced inflatable.  Don't purchase something sold at West Marine/boating store, or Costco.  If less than $499, don't buy.  It's total junk.
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 10:03:45 AM »
I'm 220 and I just about fell off 3 times in five minutes on the one from west marine.   

Embraer, at 220lbs I would suggest the Red 10'6", 10'8" or 12'6". Don't be worried by the 'Race' name for the 12'6", it is a great all round touring and cruising board. I also second spookini's comments, you get what you pay for.

I just did a little iSUP stiffness comparison relating to pressure and the Red RSS stiffening battens: http://greenwatersports.com/3126/the-definitive-inflatable-sup-stiffness-guide
Julian

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal