Author Topic: How to train for a 25 mile paddle?  (Read 5717 times)

JerseyJess

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
How to train for a 25 mile paddle?
« on: June 13, 2014, 08:25:10 AM »
Hi Everyone!

I'm a newbie to the race scene and have really jumped into it by signing up for a 25 mile paddle around Manhattan this August. I have scoured the internet for training resources, but am coming up short. Does anyone have any advice on how to train for this race?

Currently I am doing 3 paddles a week. 2 are interval type workouts and then a long distance day where I add 2 miles to the distance each week (I am up to 12 miles this week). I also do a Boot Camp style workout 2-3 days a week and try to fit in yoga 1-2 days a week. I currently live on an island off of Panama so don't have access to mail service so I can't get a heart rate monitor or any special training gear.

Any sample workouts or tips would be greatly appreciated since I am a bit nervous about this daunting paddle. Thank you for your help!

~Jess
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:37:46 AM by JerseyJess »

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to train for a 25 mile paddle?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 11:25:07 AM »
Hi Jess, your routine sounds good and you should be fine

this year I will be participating in my 4th Cape Cod Bay Challenge, a 34 -36 mile 10-12 hr paddle.

In my training I never have paddled further than 14 miles and it has seemed to work great. Many first time  marathon runners have never run 26 miles and complete their races... Typically I paddle 8 miles 2-3 times a week and also SUP surf as much as possible in between.  I do 3 or 4   14 mile paddles during the summer.  If I am short on time, I do sprints of a mile or more to work up a good sweat.

It's important that you paddle in as many conditions as possible so you are prepared..chop, wind, extreme heat etc

Also do a few longer training runs with all the gear you expect to wear during your paddle…that way you will learn if anything chafes , if your hands blister, feet ache etc…you will also learn what gear works and what doesn't..personally the most important thing I have is my music..I have a waterproof case for a mini iPod..I couldn't do the paddle without it. 12 hrs without music would kill me.

Be sure to build up some good calluses on your hands.  The last thing you want are blisters.. Be sure to move your feet and shuffle them around during longer paddles so they don't fall asleep..

as the date of the event approaches reduce your time distance on the water and take off a couple days before the race so you will be excited about getting back on your board.

finally since you will be paddling around Manhattan, be on the look out for corpses floating  in the east river    ;D

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 05:10:52 PM »
I like to do longer than the race distances for training at least once a week for a month prior. Maintaining a good pace, and knowing when to goo (around 10 miles for me).  Adjusting your stance ( staggered to parallel and back) will cause you use different muscle groups not only in stance, but in stroke. In the wind, I'll put my left foot almost 2' forward of my back in a surf stance. Your stroke on both sides will be very different, giving your typical muscle groups a rest. All this moving keeps your feet from going numb too.  Stay hydrated. The rest of the week I'll do a couple 6 to 8 milers as hard as I can.
I'm doing a 14 miler at 6700 elevation a month from now, so I'm starting my training as well. It has a lot of zig zags in to inlets and such. The winds can hit 20+ miles making for some painful cross winds. Last year the goo (cubes) saved my legs, and I finished strong. The year before, I didn't goo and my legs were completely gone at the finish. I ate a big hamburger and 2 hrs later I did an 8 mile sprint with an apparent second wind! It took me days to recover though.... You get to that point, you know you gave it 100%.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »
Agree w/ Carib's.  It's mostly mind-over-matter. 

Just go into it understanding that you'll be out there ALL DAY.  You have nothing else to do that day, but paddle.  Cancel all your other plans that day.  ;) 

Once you get that in your head, it's not so bad.  You might have a shoulder ache, a tweaked wrist, swollen feet, whatever.  But there's noting to do but get to your destination, so just paddle on!!  (And don't be afraid to sitdown and take 10min breaks every 60-90min.   That's a huge help.)
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 07:18:52 PM »
These are the cubes I use. No caffeine flavors.
http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_shot_bloks/1260
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »
Talldude, + 1 on those shot blocs..they are great.  I put them in a small ziplock in my baggies pocket.  Come in handy on a long paddle
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

JerseyJess

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 09:55:15 PM »
Thank you all for the tips! I do agree that it is mind over matter after a while.

Lucky for me I am currently living on a small island chain off of Panama and the conditions change at the drop of a hat. Where I store my board I always launch from the same spot and as a result I have to paddle across a channel between two islands so there are huge swells and the wind can rip for sure.

I'll definitely get some of those goo/ electrolyte blocks (luckily I have a friend visiting so she can bring me some goodies). I have a 1.5 L camel back. Should I bring extra water? Should I do a sports drink in the camel back or plain H20?

I really appreciate all the advice and if you think of anything else let me know! Good luck in all your paddles this season, they sound pretty intense!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 10:23:44 PM »
If you're going to do a 25 mile paddle then get your training paddles well above 25 miles as soon as you can. The difference between a 25 mile paddle and a 35 mile paddle is--time. If you have the time, you can do the distance. I like to stop for lunch in the middle. Take an hour. Loll around, walk out any cramps or tightness. drink a bunch of water. But get the distance in all in one day. I find doing 40 mile leisurely paddles makes a 30 mile hard paddle very doable.

I don't like the artificial energy stuff. Give me a stomach ache. I have a couple of big jars of the powder stuff that I used one time and never will again. Yuck. I use Pocket Fuel, which is almond butter with other stuff like coconut, dried cherries, chocolate, etc.. mixed in. No stomach ache and you can scarf it pretty quickly. Only problem is that it tastes too good. I wind up eating it for a snack when I don't really need it.

I make my own hydration drinks from a bit of lemon or lime juice, a couple of packs of sugar, and some lite salt (potassium). That or coconut water mixed 50/50 with plain water,

Paddle steady when you train, use good technique, and focus on your stroke.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 12:38:45 AM »
I find that it works well to train for endurance early on in the training (long slow distance and longer distances than the race like PonoBill suggests) and then taper and work more on speed as you get closer to the race (shorter, fast intervals) and just take it easy the week before the race.  That and always really focusing on technique and efficiency- video can be very helpful for this.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:25:10 PM »
I use a very different approach for long distance paddling (or long distance any-sport).
For biking, if my race was 50 miles, I would train for the 80 to 120 miles.
For cross country skiing, I would also double the distance during my training sessions.
On the surfski, I would do the same, after reaching the goal of "double the distance", I would then add sprints to the mix for training purposes.

For me, it's psychologic: my brain needs to know that I can easily accomplish 25 miles because I have already done it.
In the end, I believe you have to do what "feels" good for YOU.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 08:48:55 AM »
On Will Schmidt's Facebook page this morning, he is says he changes what muscle group he focuses on, so he doesn't wear any one group out.
Changing up your stroke rate also helps keep muscles from fatiguing.  If you know more than one paddling style, change it up.  Even a short change/break can make a big difference.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM