Author Topic: New member - stocked about SUP  (Read 5661 times)

808supcrew

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New member - stocked about SUP
« on: June 04, 2014, 06:01:34 PM »
Hi,

I've been following this board for a while, and tried to register a number of times until I read some other posts that said don't use a gmail account. So I used a non-gmail account and that worked!

I moved to Honolulu, Hawaii about 15 months ago, and I got introduced to SUP by accident on April 30, 2013.  Our family was Waikiki beach, but we ended up in Ala Moana Beach Park. I saw a 70-year old man standing up on a board for the first time -- and I thought - if he can do that -- so can I! The same teacher got me and my 2 boys standing up on boards only 15 minutes later - for free!  The rest is history. Now I need to SUP every other day or I don't feel right. Currently my favorite thing to do is surf on a SUP, right in Waikiki, in the middle of all the tourists.  I 'll help people spontaneously too if I see their paddle is facing the wrong way or some form thing. I've gone to the various demos (Blue Planet), Surf Tech (during the Duke's Oceanfest), and talked to everyone who will listen about SUP and surfing. This past weekend I did the SUP race at Surf N Sea and Haleiwa - and that was new and scary - but it was a blast too! I rent at various places and I've acquired several "fixer" boards - where I am learning to fiberglass, qcell, install finboxes, and doing "snapped-board" repairs. I got a little in over my head - but after I get through this, doing regular ding-repair will be childs play. I have to say that nearly everyone I've met in Hawaii - even in the water -- is very helpful and encouraging - true Aloha.

I am looking for others who have similar interests/passion about SUP in Hawaii - particularly in and around Honolulu, Kapahulu (where I live), Kahala, Kaimuki, Aina Haina, Waikiki. My home "break" right now is Waikiki "Canoes" -- great waves for learning -- and I am not embarrassed to be learning -- because everyone is. I've also had some great sessions at Populars (gives you time to adjust on the wave), Paradise, and Threes.  I've had some fun (but scarry moments running into reef) at Old Man's, Sandbar (Kaimana Beach), Publics, and Rockpiles. Looking forward to getting into downwinders, bump riding, racing -- in the future.

If anyone has similar interests and wants to go with me sometime - please let me know. I am also in the process of starting a separate "SUP crew"- but that will  be a separate post.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: New member - stocked about SUP
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 05:31:17 AM »
Sounds like you are having fun Keep passing on the Stoke
JimK

808supcrew

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New member - stoked about SUP
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 02:14:11 AM »
Thanks JimK for the welcome!

You may be interested to know - my main SUP board right now is actually an old Windsurfer. I was so stoked about SUP  I immediately purchased a"SUP" board on craiglist for $100.  It did not come with a fin - and no surf shop could sell me one -  because it used an obsolete  fin system. Then I found out that what I have is a German Hi Fly 300c: http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24642

Putting in a fin box was going to be expensive, so I learned to do that myself. Went to Hawaii Fiberglass, and got a small finbox which fit right in the slot at the back of the board, and epoxied it in. But the board did not surf right - so about a month ago, I epoxied in a regular 10" longboard finbox right in front of the other one, about 10" away from the back of the board. I also had to close the hole at the front of the board using styrofoam and qcell.

Currently, I am removing everything that is screwed onto/into  the board to lighten it (e.g. caps for the toe hooks)-- and then I am going to put a deck pad on it. Each time it gets better. The board is definately better as a flatwater board, but I can surf pretty decently with it now too. 

My wife tells me - that thing is so big and bulky - just get rid of it -- but instead I am getting more attached to it - as every little improvement I do seems to help on the water.

Marvin.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:17:16 AM by 808supcrew »

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 04:54:17 AM »
Welcome. You lucky...., moved to Hawaii. You're in a water paradise.

Waikiki in all it's largeness begs for a large board to fully enjoy the long
reef glides.  Try an equally large SUS board and you'll be styling.
Mo easy.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 07:13:23 AM »
So this thing is running "twin fins" -- one in front of the other??   :o
Please post a picture of this beast!!   :D

And also let us know the weight??  Sounds brutal.  Makes me feel better about the used board I bought as my first SUP.

There was a guy on here maybe 2 seasons ago, who was trying to turn an old AMC Sunfish into a SUP.
He seems to have disappeared since.  Maybe the board sank.  Or maybe he just went insane.
Wait....we're all a bit insane.
Post pics!!    :D
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 02:30:32 AM »
This ex-windsurfer board is finished for now - pics below-- from Kailua beach park - me and my dog.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 02:43:56 AM by marvinhecht »
10"6 x 29" Gerry Lopez Big Darlin Surftech SUP
GL1 and GL2 quads
Hoe Nalu Carbon Paddle (Surfing)
QuickBlade 86 Trifeca Carbon Paddle (Flatwater)

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 02:33:42 AM »
pics
10"6 x 29" Gerry Lopez Big Darlin Surftech SUP
GL1 and GL2 quads
Hoe Nalu Carbon Paddle (Surfing)
QuickBlade 86 Trifeca Carbon Paddle (Flatwater)

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 04:15:02 AM »
I'll be out at the breaks in Waikiki most days until 8th Dec,
Swell seems to be building this week on the South Shore, nice SUP waves this morning. Very friendly surfers , tourists and locals.

I'll be heading over to the North Shore next week.
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 11:04:18 AM »
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal