Author Topic: Tell me I'm not crazy  (Read 26087 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Tell me I'm not crazy
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 11:58:27 AM »
No, you are not crazy...there, I said it!...;-)
SUP sailing is definitely fun...we started installing mast tracks in SUP's starting back in 2005...and, we're the first ones to install them into production built SUP's...I still have a number of shorter customs with wave sailing capability...but, the longboard style SUP's go to weather much better because of their waterline...but, now that we have the Hammer Series going with much faster rocker lines, I'm installing a track in my next custom like the one we just did for Ace in Vermont...;-)

http://surfingsports.com/longboard_wavesailing_cali/index.html

http://surfingsports.com/cali_longboard_wavesailing/index.html

http://surfingsports.com/isla_vista_longboard/index.html
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »
Motivational image!

Ah, yes, the traditional head dip. What's that I hear? Well if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand. I've seen your face before my friend. But I don't know if you know who I am. Well I was there and I saw what you did, saw it with my own two eyes. So you can wipe off that grin, I know where you've been. It's all been a pack of lies

Ta dum, ta dum, ta....

Where's my pink and silver Lanny Schuler board. Where's my Triradial sail. I can feel it, coming in the air tonight...
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 07:32:41 PM »
If I lived in San Diego I would probably give up kiting too. But I still enjoy it too much. But I am definitely over buying new kites every year or so. All my play cash goes to SUP, or so it appears. This could be the beginning of the end of kiting I suppose. Buy I do still buy new kiteboards. Last summer I bought a $160 Naish Alaia for a shallow glassy lake here. So much fun. Kinda want an Aguera foil board too. I still plan on getting a windsurf rig for my Allwave. A 5.7, mast, boom and WS harness. No more, no less. I have a friend in San Diego who only uses SUPs for windsurfing. Even if it's short board wind. If its not windy he just SUSs. He keeps it real simple. But he internet dates ALOT. I think that's where all the dough goes. Bill, I dare you to order a pink and silver Shuler SUP. With a mast track of course. Then go sail Doug's and Swell City. People would love that I'm sure.

dabigkahuna

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 07:47:55 PM »
One other thing I'm not sure about is sail size.  I'm a big guy (250 lbs) and I have a monster sized board (11'2" x 36" x 106 liters).  Most people are telling me I shouldn't get anything bigger than a 6m sail.  I windsurfed for years and never, ever used anything smaller than a 6m and most of the time I was using a 7m or larger.  The wind here in San Diego is almost always sub 15 mph.  Best case scenario is that the shore break will only be 1-2 feet, but it could be bigger. What's the consensus, still get a 6m or smaller?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 11:13:50 PM »
Actually I still have my pink and silver Lanny board. Its on the rack on the side of my garage. When the doc gives me the okay, I'm going to rock that old beast, Miami Vice style.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 01:04:10 AM »
@lunchbox - I'll probably just thin out the quiver instead of selling everything.  But the reality for me living in San Diego is that I probably won't use my kiting gear more than 3 or 4 times a year.  Heck, I used it more than that each week back in Hawaii...........

Moving from Hawaii to SanDiego?

Crazy? Perhaps ...maybe a little.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 04:45:22 AM »
One other thing I'm not sure about is sail size.  I'm a big guy (250 lbs) and I have a monster sized board (11'2" x 36" x 106 liters).  Most people are telling me I shouldn't get anything bigger than a 6m sail.  I windsurfed for years and never, ever used anything smaller than a 6m and most of the time I was using a 7m or larger.  The wind here in San Diego is almost always sub 15 mph.  Best case scenario is that the shore break will only be 1-2 feet, but it could be bigger. What's the consensus, still get a 6m or smaller?

I ended up using more sail than what others recommended. I just liked having enough sail to support my body weight and cruise. So I'd say buy a sail big enough for that. Probably 6.9 wave sail for you. Ezzy Wave Tiger 6.9 is light and nimble. You have to search a little to find big wave sails, but they are out there.

One final thought..........because you stepped away from windsurfing for years, just like I did. When I returned, I bought Hot Sails because they were the sails I used before I walked away. I was shocked by the new versions. They were boat anchors. Durable as hell, but man were they heavy compared to what we used in the old days. I sold them and found sails that felt lighter and handled lighter. So choose carefully and demo a buddies sail if you can.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 04:54:42 AM by DW »

dabigkahuna

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 05:48:40 AM »
I ended up using more sail than what others recommended. I just liked having enough sail to support my body weight and cruise.

That's what I'm thinking.  Something to help me balance in the light wind and maybe enough push to get me over the white water when the wind is light.  Haven't found the sail I'm looking for yet.  Lots of small sails for sale here in San Diego.  Go figure.  ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 07:37:16 AM »
You'll actually want both big and medium, but you can start with anything. I have a 9.0 Hot Sails Superfreak (incidentally DW, the superfreaks are about the lightest serious wind sails available--I don't have any experience with their monofilm sails). for cruising around on light days, and a 5.0 for 90% of everything else. Of course I live in the Gorge and Maui, so I'm rarely in light wind. And then I have a 4.5 and 4.0 for stronger winds. I haven't bothered with a real small sail for nuking conditions, when there's spindrift, I'm downwinding.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
not crazy at all, go for it.

those heavy, clunky rigs that you remember from the 80s have been replaced by lightweight space age materials and technology that will blow you away (pun intended)

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 10:10:28 AM »
How about using the kite equipment you have on your Avanti
IT WILL WORK. I do it all the time just having to much fun to take pics
sorry
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

dabigkahuna

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 10:20:18 AM »
How about using the kite equipment you have on your Avanti
IT WILL WORK. I do it all the time just having to much fun to take pics
sorry
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Hi Jim,
I thought about doing that, in fact I kited with my 9' longboard back on Oahu, but I think for the wind conditions and crowd situation here I'm better off with a sail.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 10:50:48 AM »
(incidentally DW, the superfreaks are about the lightest serious wind sails available--I don't have any experience with their monofilm sails)

Yeah I know that's what the spec sheets say.

In the real world, there was something super-freaky about the weight  ;D

My guess at the time, was dacron holding water on the surface, plus the dead weight when sail handling. With no air foil, the sail is pure dead weight. With some other sails, the airfoil is partially there at all times and the sail flies in the wind during sail handling. Making it feel lighter for me.

There are some die hard super freak guys here. They just felt like lead weights "on the water" to me and my wife.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 10:53:18 AM »
I haven't wave sailed for years. Never was enough wind where I live. There were times, but they were few. I'd have to drive North an hour or so, and even that was iffy at times. I've never used anything smaller than a 6.5m. Usually i sailed a 7+. It just killed my back being 6'7. I'd have the mast foot extended all the way up, and even that was almost to low for my harness. A lot of $$$$ in booms, masts, sails, and boards. I'd have $5K + in gear sitting in my car. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast. I've never hit those kind of speeds on any other non-powered water craft. Having the board plane so hard to where it just barely touches rail to rail and the sail starts to sing. Your shoulders are just inches off the water, nothing like it. I plan on bringing some gear this year on our annual trip to Tahoe. When the wind kicks up in the afternoon, I'll take advantage of it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »
ive got both x-ply (simmer Icon) and superfreak sails in the 5.3 size.  i like my old flappy dacron superfreak for sup sailing because it just feels right for cruising around in low to moderate wind with no footstraps. I like that it is super durable and i never worry about it getting crushed in the truck.  I save my Icon for the planing conditions and my real ws boards. 
honestly my feeling is with sup sailing theres no need to overthink it, just get whatever is cheap and gets you out having fun!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:13:04 AM by downwinddave »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal