Author Topic: What Sup in Slovenia  (Read 3187 times)

NEsurfSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
What Sup in Slovenia
« on: June 01, 2014, 04:15:12 AM »
I have been reading this forum for a while, and like everyone really appreciate the valuable information, reviews….etc.  I am one of those 60+ longtime surfers (started in Hawaii at age 9), whose surfing life has been extended by this fantastic sport.  Have been SUSing now year-round on Cape Cod for three years.  But I also love the fact that SUP adds other options when there is no surf.  And so, like Creek and others I flat water paddle on the Cape throughout the winter (this past winter was tough!). 

But I also travel a lot for work and so recently bought an inflatable, after much research on this forum.  Since I prefer to surf, I got the 9’ 2” Red surf star.  In its bag, with pump, paddle, repair kit, long john wetsuit, booties, leash and fanny pack pfd (without CO2 cartridge), it is less than 50 lbs and can be checked in as baggage.  It’s not the greatest for flat water, but I am not a racer, and just want to get some exercise in “nice scenery”.

On the latter count I scored on a recent trip to Bled, Slovenia for a conference.  Thanks to GlideMarko for answering some PMs about access, conditions and any regulations, prior to my travel.   I know that there are a lot of “hidden gems” in Europe, and this one is not all that hidden, but even most of the Europeans attending the conference were surprised and charmed by lake Bled and its surroundings.   Below are some iphone pictures from my conference hotel balcony.

There is a 1,000 year old castle on the cliff, to paddle under

And a picturesque church on a small island in the lake (said to have been built on an old pagan fertility ritual site….typical), to paddle around

This area is not undiscovered by tourist by any means, but the small town and lake are in the foothills of the Julian Alps, and surrounded by a nature, limiting the number of visitor accommodations.

I was there in the shoulder season (May) between the winter sports tourists and summer hiking and swimming crowd.  Water was brisk, but my three mil booties were good enough and a 2 mil long john was hot by the end of a paddle around the lake.  The lake is just about four miles in circumference, if you go into every nook, and with the early sunrise (5:00am) I could get in a paddle around the lake, almost every morning.  Below is my launch site, between the traditional all wood, row boats (called pletnas) used to take visitors to the small island with the church:

Mornings were generally best, as they had calm winds, and the rowing sculls were not on the lake yet (it has an Olympic course buoyed from one end to the other).  And during average good weather, the winds picked up in the afternoon.   The following are some images from my morning paddles:

GlideMarko mentioned a bigger, nicer lake to paddle not far from Bled (lake Bohinj, right in the Alps and park), but I never had time to get out of town.  Although Slovenia is in the EU and uses the Euro, most costs were pretty reasonable.  The food was really pretty good.  There was a local restaurant with both local wild boar, mountain goat and deer, as well as fish and amazingly good Indian vegetarian food (so something for everyone).  Some pretty good local wines as well.  Only thing more beautiful than the scenery was the hospitality of the people…..of course that may deteriorate a little by the end of August, but they were great in May.  All in all a really nice place to visit if you want to paddle some Alpine lakes with pretty spectacular scenery. 

The Red surfstar was fine for this type of flatwater paddling (i.e. not racing or training).  I usually averaged a leisurely 3.5 mph for the four mile circumnavigation, which is not much slower than my usual flatwater board, a 10' Mana.  But I was stopping to take pictures and slowing, so as not to scare off the numerous ducks and swans with their new young.  lots of big fish as well.  The water was really clear (no combustion engine boats allowed).  The iSUP and bag traveled well....although I was charge extra baggage on the way there, and not on the way back.....??
One piece "electric" Creek 9'4"
Two piece Sunova Creek 9'4"
CoreVac Cannibal Blade 8'8
Angulo surfa 9'8
Naish Mana 10'
Red Sport 11'
2014 Naish Glide 14'
Werner nitro
Black project three part paddle

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: What Sup in Slovenia
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:46:28 AM »
Amazing what a search for "booties" will unearth… I don't know why I missed this back in June, but wow, what a beautiful place to be and a special place to SUP. Many thanks for sharing your photos.  :)
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:49:24 AM »
WOW! :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 12:47:40 PM »
I visited that lake pre SUP days. Want to go back now.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

NEsurfSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 01:03:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies SeaMe, UK and GWS.  It was my first post and after a couple of months with no comments, I figured the Zone is not that interested in travelogues.....or maybe I just went on too long.  Probably a bit of both, but thanks for taking a look.
One piece "electric" Creek 9'4"
Two piece Sunova Creek 9'4"
CoreVac Cannibal Blade 8'8
Angulo surfa 9'8
Naish Mana 10'
Red Sport 11'
2014 Naish Glide 14'
Werner nitro
Black project three part paddle

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 01:47:47 PM »
Like UK said--wow.  I hadn't seen that yet--beautiful.  NE, nope it wasn't too long, and the travelogues are one of my favorite things.  They don't tend to generate a lot of responses--the topics that do tend to involve saying or asking something controversial or dumb.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 01:56:16 PM »
EPIC!

Makes you wonder what the nicer lake was like.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies SeaMe, UK and GWS.  It was my first post and after a couple of months with no comments, I figured the Zone is not that interested in travelogues.....or maybe I just went on too long.  Probably a bit of both, but thanks for taking a look.

I love travelogues! Yours is excellent I just didn't catch it when you originally posted it. I mostly use the "Recent Posts" feature to find new threads and it's not uncommon for excitement over "chicks who floss" ::) :P to push the really interesting topics off the list.

What really surprises me is that a search for "booties" is what unearthed it. Thank heavens you detailed your paddle kit.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:23:00 PM by SeaMe »
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »

I'd say that folk love Travelogues - its just that there is so much stuff on this forum that it can get bogged down.

Also, there isn't a Blog/travelogue specific section in the forum..

A blog section would be great Admin :) ?
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 01:53:45 PM »
Also, there isn't a Blog/travelogue specific section in the forum..

A blog section would be great Admin :) ?

Yes, a dedicated blog/travelogue forum would be great. :)
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal