Author Topic: Fake twinning it  (Read 3216 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Fake twinning it
« on: May 31, 2014, 09:09:32 PM »
It was super small here today but warm and sunny so I tucked the rear fins from my quad set into my wetsuit and surfed a while with just my front 2 in. I remember the all wave guys mentioning their sessions.

It's hilarious and super fun. A little frustrating, but fun. After 30 min or so I beached it and put the back fins in but I'm definitely getting some larger side bites, if not a set of keels.

The tail sliding out and having to watch every paddle stroke, not to mention the tippiness, was a fun challenge on a small day. I recommend it.

supthecreek

Re: Fake twinning it
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 03:46:39 AM »
A twin fin set up really loosens up a SUP.

Here are the fins I used on my 8'10 Allwave.... super loose, but lots of drive down the line, even in head high waves.

I am going to try them in my Prowave.

Follow this link to a long thread about twin fin options:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,22466.0.html

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 06:42:36 AM »
Cowboy, not so sure what is "fake" in the way you are twinning it, but I agree surfing twins is a blast.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:13:56 AM »
Hi Cowboy

This is my experience.

On my wave pro I used the back boxes and the fins are much smaller being 4.25 x 3.75.  I used this setup for
three years.  My new board is still a quad but I use the smallest quad set I could find for short boards and so far I
am very happy.  I don't understand why some are using such large fins. This is not a comment about Creeks setup. Our paddle is also used as a fin. 

Try the fins in the back boxes, I think you will find it more controllable and yet loose and with back foot placement plenty of drive. Its not something you will conquer in one session, so give it a chance.

For comparison I am around 200lbs suited up and my board is under 125l. I started surfing over 50 years ago on 30 pound single fin logs. I surf beach breaks most the time and ride the same board in most surf conditions.

I hope more give it a try.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 08:48:53 AM »
Creek how did the stock All Wave fins ride when ridden as a twin? Maybe I'll give it a try at the Sup-a-Thon this weekend.

I didn't see a comment about that in your All Wave Twin Fin Option Tread (unless I missed it).
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:44:34 AM »
It was super small here today but warm and sunny so I tucked the rear fins from my quad set into my wetsuit and surfed a while with just my front 2 in. I remember the all wave guys mentioning their sessions.

It's hilarious and super fun. A little frustrating, but fun. After 30 min or so I beached it and put the back fins in but I'm definitely getting some larger side bites, if not a set of keels.

The tail sliding out and having to watch every paddle stroke, not to mention the tippiness, was a fun challenge on a small day. I recommend it.

I ride my 10'6" this way, with the GL2 Futures set minus the center fin.  It's still a little too much fin for me though on that big board but definitely loosens it up and is a lot of fun in small surf. 

My 7'10" Phoenix V2 is also set up as a twin.  Now that is fun!
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:46:14 AM »
I suspect Cowboy calls it "fake" because the twins were just thrusters and not intended for the purpose--as in WAY too small. Had a similar epiphany at Kanaha two years ago when I lost my center fin on my Footie. The surf was too nice to quit, even though the tail was swerving all over the place when I paddled. I had just dinky thrusters. I settled down, figured out how to get into a wave, and had a blast. Talk about loose! If I moved my foot to the rail and pushed as normal in a turn the back end broke loose and skidded. I loved it.

Next day I decided to do it again, got about twenty yards from shore and realized how much work it was going to be, so I went back for a fin. But I have gone smaller on my center fins and I want to try a for real twinner setup this year.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 12:27:19 PM »
Aha, got it Pono.  My experience with twinning is also based on using two smaller thusters, not the larger twins like Creek shows.  Just like Bill says, when using the small fins you can easily break the tail loose.  I use it to jack my board sideways as I'm trying to tuck into a backside barell and it works really good for that, although sliding sideways down a big face is pretty hairy and does take some getting used to.  I haven't tried the bigger keel fins, so I can't speak to "real" twinning.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:36:23 PM by J-Bird »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 06:28:42 PM »
Yeah, sorry I missed this one. As usual, Pono knows what I meant.

Fake as in, not the position and keel size to keep me in the wave. Still, a great exercise and fun for a bit. I need to get myself some more fins and play more.

I gotta say, if you have a 5 fin setup and haven't ridden it in several configs, including a single, you really ought to. It's given me a lot of ideas on how to optimize my board for my riding style (or lack thereof.)

I'm really interested in those keels. I'm set up for Futures and I've been poking around online looking for a deal.

As usual, thanks to the long timers who taught me that fins make the board in so many situations.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again