Author Topic: Kauai or the Big Island for downwinder?  (Read 4747 times)

Au111

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Kauai or the Big Island for downwinder?
« on: May 29, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »
Thinking about heading to Hawaii this summer - our options are to stay on Kauai or the Big Island.  Which would be a better choice for someone itching to do a good downwinder?  Board rental is a key issue, along with a pretty well established route.  Should I just plan to take a day or two and head to Maui for a Maliko run no matter what?  (And if so, what outfitters do y'all recommend?)

Mahalo (and cheers)!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kauai or the Big Island for downwinder?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 02:08:40 PM »
Thinking about heading to Hawaii this summer - our options are to stay on Kauai or the Big Island.  Which would be a better choice for someone itching to do a good downwinder?  Board rental is a key issue, along with a pretty well established route.  Should I just plan to take a day or two and head to Maui for a Maliko run no matter what?  (And if so, what outfitters do y'all recommend?)

Mahalo (and cheers)!
If you're itching for DW, it would be hard to make a better choice than Maui.  The BI does have some runs but for consistency and diversity, Maui is the place.  Do you have some experience with water rolling around under your board?  Say like a white water rapid or a place like the Columbia River Gorge or SUP surfing in rough windy water?  There is significant elevation roll out in the water here on many days and that throws a curve ball to a few who have found out they weren't ready.  So if you think you are ready and want to prioritize a trip around DWnding, there are plenty of rental shops to pick from with good choices of equipment.  I have a 14' by 28" DW board I rent out.  It's stable.  But whatever you choose, make it as close as possible to what you're used to.  Don't add equipment to the rest of the unknowns.

There are people you can hire to go with you and direct your line... or get you out at a shorter distance finish if you get tired and discover that although you thought you were ready, turns out you weren't... which is OK.  You never know until you go.

Au111

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:09:21 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I'm pretty comfortable on our local near-shore waters in San Diego, but your conditions are definitely different.  Looks like I need to plan for a mini-vacation to Maui in the midst of our vacation.  I'll pm you for guide recommendations when the dates get firmed up.  Thanks.

SoundGirl

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Kauai or the Big Island for downwinder?
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 08:52:27 PM »
Just got back from Maui. Did my first proper downwinder there on an SIC Bullet. It was inside the reef passing Kahana beach and tame, I am sure, by HI standards but I had a great time and learned a lot! 
 Jeremy was great and will work with all skill levels.    www.paddlewithriggs.com

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:07:44 PM »

Mahalo (and cheers)!

Au111, every island has some sort of downwind run. Not too much guys from Kaui on here to really chime in but I know for a fact that island's got runs all over the place, some are logistically difficult and others are not, but wind direction is super unpredictable there. There isn't too much of a SUP following there like you'd find on Maui. Here on the Big island we have 3 different downwind runs, each specific to wind direction, and skill level. There are companies here that will take you on downwind tours.

However Maui is the King of DW for the hawaiian islands. Maui has more consistent wind then anyother island, it's downwind runs are world class, and where all SUP downwind started! It's easy to find a board to rent, it's easy to hook up with guys or groups going because there's always someone doing it, downwind shuttles, etc. Maui has two awesome runs, if one isn't running, another always will.  If your making your trip to hawaii a search for wind... your really just better off staying on Maui the whole time.  Headmount is a really good guy to hook up with for this. Maui's the place to be

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 09:27:18 PM »
Since Maui wasn't on your menu, I'd say Hawaii is the better choice between Hawaii and Kauai (the big island, that is, which is actually Hawaii.) But, as everyone says, for rock n' roll, it's tough to beat Maui. World class--literally. People come from everywhere to put Maliko notches in their belt.

I want to do some runs on the Big Island--they look like fun, but they also look like expert only. Just looking at wind directions and a map tells me that you want to be with friends. And have a radio.

Maliko is A ticket scary, and can turn your legs to jello and loosen your bowels just getting out of the gulch, but there's a big catchers mitt at the end. You aren't going to miss the end of the island. That's a VERY BIG DEAL.

As far as guides go, either Boyum (headmount) or Jeremy are great choices. Bill is the best for teaching you the ins and outs of the run and making sure you're OK all the way. Where you can bail, all the beginner stuff. Jeremy is the wizard of glide and can teach you how to catch swells.My choice would be start with Bill and graduate to Jeremy.

Just realize that your first Maliko run is unlikely to be your last. Some people are fine with doing it once or twice, but most folks wake up in the middle of the night saying "I have to do that again", even if it scared the piss out of them.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 09:32:01 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Au111

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 10:56:57 AM »
Much obliged for the inputs. 

Managed to make the switch to Maui (the accommodations will be no great shakes, but whatever...).  I will be there in late August, and will make Maliko a centerpiece of the planned activities.

The wife (completely reasonably) insists on it being a guided adventure. 

Headmount, expect a pm. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard