Author Topic: Joe Bark 18ft test drive....wow  (Read 5741 times)

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Joe Bark 18ft test drive....wow
« on: November 07, 2008, 12:40:11 AM »
Being an approaching middle age 260lb guy with more $ than youth I figure I need all the help I can get, so I asked joe Bark to make me the ultimate board for a 23 mile channel crossing for a guy with less the 6 months experience.  He said an 18'6x26.5 double carbon would be the fastest but....I want it to fit in the garage (18ft max) and my balance sucks (gotta go out to 28inch) and I wanted something a little tougher I could bang around so a single carbon patch, a little more glass, more weight.

I been doing a 2.6 mile lap around a harbor on my Jimmy Lewis 12'6 distance board and struggling to get around in 37 minutes (about 4mph) my dream goal for SUP is to cruz at 5 mph.  Set the clock and took off at about 80% effort, got sidelined by the long beach rowing team twice, crossed the line...29minutes!!!!! over 5mph!!!  Nothing for a racer but kinda a dream for me....

Oh man, what a freakin difference.  To actually g-l-i-d-e and not just struggle.  To track straight on not just zig zag around.  That first ride was a high like redlining 3rd gear the first time I drove a ZR1 vette.

So I had a little celebration with a seal who pulled up beside me and took a look at what was going on.

Well thanks for listening yall.  If I can keep my balance, I know I can do that crossing, but I got a lot of work ahead getting used to the open sea.

My board has black tips with a red center and carbon bottom but looks excatly like the green one below.  Joe is using 9 inch fin that is placed 5 feet in from the tail.  In his shop different boards going to Hawaii or Austraila have different noses and rocker custom for the conditions and the weight of the rider. 

Thanks for listening.  I guess what is so encouraging and what was missing for me in OC-1 is that this board is right for me and my weight and I can feel that I am not struggling with something that does not work right...it is working with me and the great effort I put into pulling the paddle is not lost in drag so...like I cut loose a big strand of seaweed and that is such a great feeling.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:46:57 AM by Shawn Michael »

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Joe Bark 18ft test drive....wow
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 12:42:59 AM »
Oh, here is a pic of a very similar board in green.

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 01:09:22 AM »
Congrats on the new board... and the new speed!  Can we see some pictures of yours?  Also, how thick is your board?

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 02:02:39 AM »
Thanks.  It aint fast for a racer but for ME it I am really happy.

The board is 4.5 inches thick.  The spine in the middle which give the board strength and extra volume tapers up to a peak of 1.75 above the rest of the board so at the middle 6.25 thick.  At the nose it is 8 inches.  I am not sure about the weight, mine is not a double carbon and it is beefed up a bit...I guess 30-32lbs but I have to get on a scale. 

My wife took the camera with her, she will be back on mon and I will get some photos
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:06:21 AM by Shawn Michael »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 06:50:38 AM »
Sweet!...congrats.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 09:45:52 AM »
congratulations there shawn michael! from what i'm reading, that board of yours is quite a steed... just give it some time, it'll teach you how it wants to be handled. as with all thoroughbreds, it needs to know who's boss. you probably would appreciate the 16' double carbon u/l from a couple years ago at this stage of your game. though it is only 26" wide it has a broader squared out tail. the rocker is long and drawn which gives it some stability (though i speak in relative terms here.)  the 12'6" battle boards on the other hand have a lot of "v" at the tail and it turns up fast from the fin to the stern, still squared off but quite a bit smaller.

spent the wee hours of the morn on one of the joe bark battle boards. to me it seems more like a quarter horse. one can really appreciate the pronounced hatchet feature of it's prow. it cuts through water like tomahawk flying through the air, slicing deep then gliding with each stroke of the paddle. it is fast, and it knows it! i just wish i could give it justice. maybe some day...
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »
Feels kinda weird getting a great board as a beginner, kinda nowhere up to go, but gotta get to it as I am not getting any younger.

Was out for a long ride today, one other thing is not more numb feet...rather than standing on the concave edge and having my feet hurt the bark is almost flat and really comfortable.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 09:10:47 PM »
Shawn... awesome!  Did you have to deliberate long on a rudder or no-rudder?  Are you happy with your choice?  I really like the simplicity of a no rudder board, but in certain conditions it would probably be usefull?  Not sure....
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 11:23:55 PM »
I wanted one but he said I should try without it first.  I was kinda surprised because I did not have any limitation on the budget or timeframe.  These boards are all "fitted" for the rudder and he says he can add em easily later.  The board track straight but not to the point where it is hard to manuver.  I dont know, I am too inexperienced.  I am pretty sure the boards being sent to top guys doing Molekai did NOT have rudder but I cannot say for sure. 

I really like the simplicity of not having a rudder...no moving parts, nothing to break!

Having to paddle on the same side for 50 strokes might change my mind but Ill have to wait and see.  At the shop they said that the rudder/tiler was the most simple and reliable setup but that they were looking into other was to keep the lines of the board cleaner but have something ultra tough that did not use cables/pullies

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »
Very jealous of all this race board talk. Got to figure a way.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 04:41:12 PM »
Your welcome anytime, come out, I think my board is dialed in just right for you.  Might need a little more rocker for the atlantic.  I am sure that newer faster longer boards are going to be much more available in a couple years but I needed to get on it.

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 08:02:08 PM »
Shawn, you da man!  I am envious.  We seem to be following the same path.  I started with OC-1, joined a team for OC-6, and got a JL distance board like yours in June.  Since then, the OC-1 has gathered dust and I can count on one hand the number of days I have not gone out on the JL board (even as winter closes in here on the Chesapeake Bay).  I am not a surfer, and I knew I wanted a fast paddle board for long distance at speed.  I have been very happy with the Jimmy Lewis board, so I really don't need to hear reviews like yours!  That said, do you feel the Joe Bark or similar Carbon Vac-bagged boards really have the speed and glide advantage to justify the price?  My friend who sold me my JL board told me he may get in to selling C4 Vortice and similar boards next season.  Just what I needed to hear!  It was a tough sell to my wife to add a SUP to my growing collection of paddle craft, so a new acquisition would only be possible if I traded in the JL board.  Not a problem as several folks in my club would probably be interested.  Do you still have your JL board, and if so are there conditions where you prefer it over the Joe Bark?  Thanks for any insight, as we seem to have a similar love of distance paddling for fitness.

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 10:53:12 PM »
Neil, honestly the bark is just a whole other level.  At 260 I might be overloading the JL distance, but this is not "slightly better" it is a BIG difference...if you love the stand up, now you can have all the good stuff and go fast too!  If you are a bit lighter you might get along well with a 14 or 16 and the JL 12'6 might be working out better for you...

If you are like averaging 4mph on the 12mile runs on the JL, you will hit 5+ on a race board.  But really it is not the number per se for me the feeling with the JL was that I was really working a lot, pulling hard and not getting much glide, pushing too much water.   On the bark I just feel like I am gliding and the board is working with me and giving something back for my effort, so it is a lot more fun.  Being used to a 21'6 oc-1 having an 18 foot board is no big deal to handle.

You might also read great danes posts about the C4 vs the 16 ft Bark.   I am not promoting bark for any reason but it is about having a board that is designed for the water you are paddling on.

The stability of the bark and the JL are pretty similar, but in all other categories the bark is just totally superior for what I do, I was actually able to ride a boat wake which I never could on the JL. 

These are the only two board I have riden but it is corola vs supra

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 11:02:04 PM »
Also I dont know much about the barks process for making this board.  It is not espcially light, heavier than the JL for sure.  I know it is foam core and I requested it to be a little tougher.. It has a large "carbon patch" 5 feet long in the center of the board for strength but I think it is more traditionally made than the vortices which is really high tech layup.  When you just ride, you will know.  In the meantime putting in the miles will keep your progress going forward

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 11:09:18 PM »
In any case, take your advice from the many experienced guys here who know what they are talking about.  Here is a good quote from that probably sums up a lot about SUP and board selection: 

"Comparison in overall speed between the three boards will be very intriguing as I dont believe bigger is necessarily better.  I think the power/weight ratio is more important but its difficult to figure out.

To me the ideal board will address the relationship of the riders weight, paddle ability and planing ability for the given conditions.  After three months of side by side comparison between the F16 and Vortice XP on our runs (dead down wind in the 18-22knot wind and 6 to 8ft sea range) the XP appears to be faster, pound for pound, for my weight (175#) and ability .

The XP was definitely the trickier board to get used to at first with its narrow width and seriously rolled rails.  It also took longer to find the sweet spot than the F16.  But now that I am getting the hang of it the XP is pulling away on every run.

The biggest difference to me is the "lighter feeling" of the XP.  I can now seriously pull my self into troughs and over bumps which makes me able to "railroad" and connect more often.  The F16 in comparison requires more paddle power to do the same thing, at least in our conditions."

I think since I am more heavy and strong than fit this big board just works for me but that is what is great about getting a custom board it works and that is obvious when you stand on it, I would probably just drag on the vortice when I was not falling off it so there are a lot of considerations.

Take care!
Shawn
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 11:12:28 PM by Shawn Michael »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal