Author Topic: Sea Eagle Needlenose Inflatable Opinions?  (Read 13670 times)

json2001

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Sea Eagle Needlenose Inflatable Opinions?
« on: May 21, 2014, 07:15:18 PM »
Hello! New member here! I've been paddleboarding only a handful of times, but I'm interested in getting into it and purchasing a board.

An inflatable seems attractive because of the flexibility and portability. I have looked at starboard's inflatable line, and they are pretty darn expensive. Pricing out everything I would need for an Astro touring looking just shy of $2k. Today I saw that Sea Eagle came out with a new needlenose/touring style board: http://www.seaeagle.com/NeedleNose.aspx They have a package that comes with all the SUP gear as well as a kayak seat and kayak paddle for a little over $1k. So that brings me to my questions:
  • Does anyone have experience with this particular board? Sea Eagle seems like a reputable company and the 180 day money back guarantee and 3 year warranty sound very attractive, but I haven't been able to find many reviews for their paddleboards online as they seem like their bread and butter are inflatable boats.
  • I'm 6'4'' and 170lbs. I would like a board that is faster and more for touring (does that mean longer is better?) But I'm not looking for some racing board that's super tippy or advanced either.
  • I've used the pump that comes with it and it gets very hard to pump to a full 15psi. Would you recommend just buying a pump like the K20 straight out of the gates?
Thanks for any advice you guys might be able to offer. I'm excited to get into SUP!

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sea Eagle Needlenose Inflatable Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:54:43 PM »
Can't speak to the boards, but a couple years ago my wife won a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak as a door prize.  It was priced at a few hundred bucks, and was of toy quality.  In fact, the original was defective (wouldn't hold air) and had to be replaced by Sea Eagle.  I gave it to a family with little kids, for them to use.  You'd be better of with an NRS or some other lesser brand than Starboard, or just buying one used.  Or must get a planing board to start.  Maybe they have improved, but I would definitely demo one before I placed an internet order. 

Bycyclist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:00:35 PM »
With their return policy, Seems like they're standing up behind their product. Try it out, you'd only be out shipping cost if you don't like it.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 03:28:27 PM »
the inflatable boats they have made for yrs. were always junk. id  save the $ and buy a starboard inflatable.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 05:21:06 PM »
These boards are also higher priced but much higher quality. Red Paddle Co inflatable SUPs: http://greenwatersports.com/shop/product-category/stand-up-paddle/boards/inflatable-boards might be something to consider and save for.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Victoriapaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 06:16:26 PM »
I would avoid any inflatable SUP boards that can't inflate to 18psi if your planning to get serious about paddling. I've tried a Red Paddle Race and loved it and have paddled a hundred times on my Starboard Touring inflatable. If you are on a budget and can only spend a few hundred, look at walmarts cheap one (you could return it if it doesn't work for you) or possibly Tower Inflatables and plan to sell it and upgrade to a solid board or high end Red Paddle, when you go SUP crazy and give up cable or lattes.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 07:59:17 PM »
Json:

Welcome to the Zone and welcome to SUP.  Recognize you're a newbie right now, b/c soon you'll look back and laugh at the idea that you initially thought a kayak seat/paddle on a SUP was a good idea  :D.

I can only speak to what I know....  I own a Red and also another well-known brand inflatable.  The Red goes to 25psi, has stiffening battens, and pretty closely mimics a real SUP, w/ obvious advantages of being bulletprooff and portable.  My other inflatable also can handle 20+ psi, but no stiffening battens and it just AIN'T the same.  If it was my primary SUP, I think I'd be disappointed....

A Red can be had for $1200 or so, 2013 models for less.  I'd revise your budget and get something of quality -- such as Red, Uli, Starboard, etc.  You'll be glad you did.

(I once bought a rowing shell with a "money-back satisfaction gaurantee".  I wasn't satisfied and shipped it back.  I was charged $500 for unspecified bogus damage which supposedly occurred during return shipping.  Mehhhh, would have been cheaper to buy quality upfront.  :-\ (
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:08:38 PM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

json2001

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 07:31:22 AM »
Thanks to everyone for weighing in on this! Sounds like Sea Eagle might not be the best pick!

The Sea Eagle just includes a paddle, so if I go with a Red or Starboard how do I go about picking a paddle online, having very little hands on experience with SUP? Like I said, I'm pretty tall and would like other folks to be able to jump on - the paddle options at greenwatersports range from 119 all the way up to 350ish. What's important in a paddle for me?

Next up - I like the idea of a longer board for my height and that I will use it mostly for exploring the local river waterways. So I'm looking at 12'6'' - 14' a lot of these boards are labelled as a "race" board. As a new paddleboarder should I shy away from them for any reason?

Finally on the pump - the pump that comes with the red? Is that gonna be backbreaking and hard to get to 25psi? Or should I go straight for a KPump20?

Thanks for all the help. There isn't just a ton of trustworthy info out there on these inflatables that I can find. So many of the "reviews" are from people selling the board. So hearing from this community is just what I needed! Thank you!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 08:36:15 AM »
Hi json2001,

I'll tread lightly here since I do happen to sell the Red boards and will be starting to stock the k-pump pumps and accessories soon. Take the info below however you like.

If you're tall but would like to share the paddle with others, you'll want to go for an adjustable. I tend to stock mostly 3 piece paddles as they compliment the portability of inflatable SUPs but I do have a few regular adjustable paddles in stock. I can also do a special order of a regular adjustable Accent paddle. And of course there is the Ke Nalu adjustable shaft too with their range of blades and handles.

My recommendation to all is to go for the lightest paddle you can afford, taking into mind your expected usage. If you're not sure you'll be paddling a lot and money is tight, try the Epic, if you want to go all out, try the Red full carbon. If you're somewhere in between, choose something that's in between. I can help you there... If you want to go all out but worry your paddle will be abused by others, drop another $119 on the Epic and let them go to town onvit.

The name Race, at least in Red's case, is a misnomer. You're not the first to feel like the 12'6" Race is not suitable for a beginner. In fact it's suitable for all levels of paddling. It is especially good for larger people or those who want to cruise/tour and make use of the extra glide and space for carrying gear on the board. The 2014 board comes with tie down points. Red offer an "Elite" which is the true race board among their range at 12'6" and 14" but at only 26" wide. Not something for your average paddler looking to just tour.

The pump, like I mentioned I will be stocking the k-pumps soon but honestly I myself prefer the stand up t-handle and foot pumps. Maybe this is from 10+ years of pumping up kiteboarding kites. I feel like I can get the board tighter, faster but you do need good technique and you need to put your back into it, especially on the regular Ezee pump at pressures north of 18PSI. The HP pump is 30% less volume but is a taller and thinner cylinder making it easier to get to higher pressures. So it takes you longer to get to pressure but getting there is easier.

I reviewed or "reviewed" the 12'6" a few weeks back and it included a pump up video with the regular Ezee pump to 20PSI. http://greenwatersports.com/2789/pumping-up-an-inflatable-sup-by-red-paddle-co

The k-pumps feature both high volume and high pressure, a universal valve and more compact with no hose/handle/feet but also no gauge (a $38 extra but exceptionally good at measuring the board's true pressure). This high end pump comes at a price. I like the compactness and 2 in 1 nature making it much, much easier for all people to get to higher pressures. An important part of getting the full value of your inflatable SUP and therefore worth the extra coin.

Julian
Julian
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 08:41:05 AM »
And also, I have the regular Ezee pump, HP Ezee, K-20 and K-220 all right here in front of me, with a 10' Surfer and a 10'8 Mega if you want me to do any inflation comparisons.
Julian

shankfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • shankfoo on fb
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 08:51:43 AM »
I own a late-model Red 10'6 and a late-model ULI 14' touring board, and I endorse both of them highly.  The ones I have pump up to about 18 and they are pretty much optimal for learning, and touring in shallow narrow waterways.   They laugh at rocky bottoms/mussels/mangroves/what have you, they're easy on your feet if you're 'paddlebirding' all day, and they're basically kid proof within reason.  I'm 6'0, 205+ and they both float me fine.

I can vouch for ULI standing behind their boards.  I bought mine secondhand, and when it had a valve problem they had no problem sending me a valve wrench to fix it up.
(Also told me to keep it, in case anyone else on the East Coast needs it.  So yeah, if anyone needs to tighten up their ULI valve...)
- Kevin -
| Angulo Shaka 14' | Surftech Bark Laird 14' | Coreban Alpha 12'6 | Uli 14' | Red 10'6 || QB Kanaha 100 86" |

json2001

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 11:47:10 AM »
Thanks Julian!

Very helpful. I'll probably start with one of the less expensive 3 piece adjustable paddles. I was looking on Red's website and the 12'6'' explorer caught my attention it seems a little more river/touring specific? It also appears to be right at the same price as the 12'6'' race. 1) Do you stock the explorer (I don't see it on your website) and 2) Could anyone help me out with the differences and how to pick between the two? Don't think I need the pressure test just yet! But thanks for the offer! The K20 seems pretty nice with the two stages.

What kind of warranty does Red back it's boards with?

Shankfoo, very helpful as well! Good to know both of those brands have been high quality for you. I'm feeling much better about choosing a Red over my initial question about Sea Eagle. I really like that they are a company that only does inflatable SUP, plus after looking at the pressure and durability videos and claims it seems like they are rock solid.

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »
Several boards ago, I had a C4 inflatable BK Pro with the c4 branded pump and purchased a k-pump k-20 a few weeks after the board.  The c4 pump was just a generic pump made in china and thrown in with the board. I would use that to pump it to ~12psi and then switch to the k pump to top it off on the HP setting.  No way would I use the k pump for the entire board, it would take a month of sundays to pump it up that way, even on the LP setting. 

If you get an Uli, their pumps are apparently top notch, and you can probably skip the k pump.  (though someone else with more knowledge of the uli pump may want to verify this.) Uli is known as a top notch company, their boards hold value well, and are very durable. Plus they are made in the US, FWIW.

I really liked the inflatable I had, but my brother in law was interested in getting into the sport and wanted an inflatable, and selling it to him gave me an excuse to get another board. 

I'd say keep an eye open for a used Uli and jump on it.  The other options are also good ones, but I'd probably recommend against sea eagle.  Have fun!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 06:57:30 AM »
Thanks Julian!

Very helpful. I'll probably start with one of the less expensive 3 piece adjustable paddles. I was looking on Red's website and the 12'6'' explorer caught my attention it seems a little more river/touring specific? It also appears to be right at the same price as the 12'6'' race. 1) Do you stock the explorer (I don't see it on your website) and 2) Could anyone help me out with the differences and how to pick between the two? Don't think I need the pressure test just yet! But thanks for the offer! The K20 seems pretty nice with the two stages.

What kind of warranty does Red back it's boards with?

Shankfoo, very helpful as well! Good to know both of those brands have been high quality for you. I'm feeling much better about choosing a Red over my initial question about Sea Eagle. I really like that they are a company that only does inflatable SUP, plus after looking at the pressure and durability videos and claims it seems like they are rock solid.

Hi json2001, We do not stock the Explorer and I don't think we are getting any in our next shipment, would need to check up on that. It is definitely more geared towards touring with extra width in the nose and tail for extra stability and deck space, and tie down points on the tail too. It also has 2 nose runner style fins on either side of the main fin to aid in tracking. If you are really going to be touring long distances, carrying a lot of gear, overnighting, the Explorer would be the way forward. If you're only going to occasionally carry gear and day cruise, the "Race" would be the choice as you're not paddling around all that extra board you don't really need. I don't think you're giving up much stability going with the Race.

The k20 is the smaller pump, nice and compact but as feet says, it's a little slow for the entire board. Especially one as big as the 12'6".
Julian

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 09:30:18 AM »
Red warranty - 1yr.
Julian

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal